1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

OK, Thinking caps on...!

Discussion in 'Accessories' started by Dave in Wales, Mar 6, 2015.

1. Dave in Wales

Dave in Wales Mu-43 All-Pro

Nov 5, 2011
    West Wales
    There ought to be enough accumulative photographic knowledge amongst members of this esteemed forum to solve my problem.
    Well, hare's hoping anyway.

Problem...To fit a Canon FD lens onto a bellows that has a Pentax M42 x 1 female thread.
    The manual aperture ring on the lens must function but data is not fed to the M42 thread.

The obvious answer is to use a FD to M42 adaptor.....very difficult.
    According to the Pentax forum such an adaptor has never been commercially produced, if my memory serves, it's to do with the back-focus or some such.
    http://photo.net/canon-fd-camera-forum/00XDcp

A few special adaptors may have been made to order by someone like Novaflex.

I have done it on paper using four items, but it is far from ideal. I have used two adaptors, a step-up ring and a male to male coupler.
    The step-up ring is M42 x 1 and one of the adaptors is M42 x 0.75, they 'would' fit together with effort, but as I said 'far from ideal'

If you offer any solutions can I please ask that the adaptors are 'available' not theoretical, and not from ebay.

Last edited: Mar 6, 2015
  2. DeeJayK

DeeJayK Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 8, 2011
    Pacific Northwest, USA
    Keith
    This begs the question: wouldn't it be a LOT simpler just to either use an M42 lens or to acquire an Canon FD bellows? Seems like that would be a lot simpler (and potentially cheaper) than cobbling together a Rube Goldberg solution.

It makes sense to me that a commercial CanonFD-to-Pentax M42 adapter is available since Canon FD has a shorter lens register than M42 focus in normal operation would be difficult to achieve. Obviously for macro use, that's not necessarily an issue, but that's the reason such a beast is going to be difficult to find.

3. barry13

barry13 Super Moderator; Photon Wrangler

Mar 7, 2014
    Southern California
    Barry
    Someone's been posting this week about using 3-D CAD software to merge 2 adapters together and 3-D print them.
    (sorry it's theoretical, but should be practical.)

However, I don't know enough about the FD aperture control to say what is needed for that.

Barry

• Like Like x 1
  4. davidzvi

davidzvi Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 12, 2012
    Outside Boston MA
    David
    OK, 3D printing custom adapters? That would just SO WAY COOL.

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. listers_nz

listers_nz Mu-43 Veteran

Nov 22, 2013
    Christchurch, New Zealand
    Simon
  6. davidzvi

davidzvi Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 12, 2012
    Outside Boston MA
    David
    Just thought of another really cool 3D printer item that would be cool.

Custom extension tubes + adapter.

7. TNcasual

TNcasual Mu-43 All-Pro

Dec 2, 2014
    Knoxville, TN
    I'm the one that is getting a 3d printed custom adapter. I developed a model for Agfa Ambi Silette lenses to mft. It really didn't take very long to create the model. I found on the Thingiverse website an Ambi Silette to Leica mount and a Pentax k to mft adapter. Using the free, browser based site Tinkercad I was able to lop off the unneeded ends and combine the pieces to make my adapter. The hardest part was getting as accurate registration distance as possible. I have no expectations that it will be perfect, but hopefully good enough.

I ordered my adapter from the site Shapeways. I was just notified this evening that the part made it past their proofing process. They are going ahead with the print.

M42 threads may be a little more tricky. I have my doubts that 3d printing is good enough to get really accurate machine threads. It may be worth a shot, though. My adapter took a few hours to create and about $30 to get printed and shipped.

If you want to look into this, I would be happy to share my experience. Also, if mine works, there will be some pictures taken with the Ambi Silette lenses on an E-M10 here in a couple weeks.

• Like Like x 1
  8. tkbslc

tkbslc Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Since respect for mount distance is irrelevant at this point, just buy an fd adapter and a m42 adapter and rig them together some way that blocks any light gaps.