Ok sigma offers a apc size sensor in

KBeezie

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
Karl Blessing
What is this "m43 is a whole system" talk, there is not a single prime wider than 12mm (24mm ff equiv.)

Every step of a sensor size brings a step in IQ as well, the problem is not everything is equivalent on different formats.
If ff had f5.6 (2.8 m43 equiv.) zoom lenses they would be smaller/sharper/cheaper, there just aren't any, probably would be hard to market them?
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Still a prime even if it's a "fisheye" and f/8.

and I'm counting 23 primes wider than 12mm on B&H including a Venus 4mm

Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

agentlossing

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Andrew Lossing
But I feel quite strongly that without something unique, a large sensor Olympus compact may struggle to stand out from the crowd, m43, APS-C or otherwise.
It has to compete with the GR that has been honed over how many generations as well as having a cult following, and the X100 series who’s popularity and style arguable launched a whole ILC line.
Make it M4/3 sensor and a small, fixed 25mm (50mm) lens, and everybody who has lamented the lack of a 50mm fixed lens compact will buy one!

hoggdoc

Mu-43 Regular
Real Name
Wayne
Sigma offers a few point and shoots with a acp size sensor (each pixel see's all three colors unlike the Olympus sensor) why can't Olympus do the same. I love on omd em10 mk2 and it does 90 percent of what I want a camera to do plus it's wonderful to handle. It's like I have a OM4 in my hands. BUT a slightly larger sensor and I dare say it would be perfect. Thoughts anyone?
Scott, let me ask you what advantages you think putting a larger sensor in the MFT body would bring to the camera?

scott james

Mu-43 Rookie
Scott, let me ask you what advantages you think putting a larger sensor in the MFT body would bring to the camera?
I shoot both sizes and a larger sensor does have low light and amount of MP advantages. Olympus is selling to a small segment of the micro 4/3 users....and loosing money doing it. Would not a em10 with apc and a higher MP number appeal to a wider range of buyers? I also shoot sony so I currently deal with reduced ibis when compared to any of my olympus and my gx80. Last nite I went out shooting and took my sony. I love my m8cro 4/3 bodys and shoot with them 90% of the time. But short of a leap in technology the 4/3 sensor of stuck where it is now. The overall market demands more MP and larger sensors that's where people are spending their money.

PakkyT

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Is this another thread about people wishing m43 was something different than it is? Rather than try to wish this system to be something else wouldn't it be much easier to simply go buy the system to meets your wishes already?

scott james

Mu-43 Rookie
Ok olympus image division lost another 17% the last quarter ending Sept 30 2019. There is not enough micro 4/3 buyers out there. They must do something different. I love the micro 4/3 system and use it daily. We can scream How great it is. Buyers don't care. They are not buying it. So what are you going to do when Olympus sells or closes its camera division? It's like people screaming how better the Betamax system was....guess what VHS won!

wjiang

Mu-43 Legend
Ok olympus image division lost another 17% the last quarter ending Sept 30 2019. There is not enough micro 4/3 buyers out there. They must do something different. I love the micro 4/3 system and use it daily. We can scream How great it is. Buyers don't care. They are not buying it. So what are you going to do when Olympus sells or closes its camera division? It's like people screaming how better the Betamax system was....guess what VHS won!
Keep using it until it dies, buy Panasonic or switch systems. Olympus doesn't need to be a me-too manufacturer if it doesn't make sense for them, and we don't need Olympus to survive as a camera company.

KBeezie

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
Karl Blessing
If you look at a lot of other camera manufactures, the sales are down across the board. So this is not strictly a micro-4/3 problem and not something that rest solely on the shoulders of Olympus to "fix".

swifty

Mu-43 Regular
Real Name
Dave
Ah, thanks for pointing that out.

Still don't want it.
Actually re-reading the original post it’s a bit ambiguous. It starts with the Sigma P&S example and the question why can’t Olympus do the same. Followed by asking for APS-C in an OMD which is ILC, not P&S so I’m not entirely sure which (or both) is what the OP is asking for.

But I agree, m43 should stay m43. I’m open to oversized sensors for mutiaspect ratio advantages (in fact that would be a desirable upgrade for me) but the format diagonal standard must remain m43. Maximising that image circle is one way to deliver better value without disrupting the system.

M43 sensor = 17.3mm x 13mm, diagonal 21.6mm
You’d need 18.82mm x 15.27mm sensor to deliver 21.6mm diagonal all the way from 16:9 to 1:1.
Call it 19x15.5mm vs the current 17.3x13mm so it’s a small increase.

IMO that would be a nice small upgrade and if there are any cooperation between Panasonic and Olympus, they should standardise that as a common feature for all m43 bodies. And maybe even collectively source an EXMOR RS sensor in that size.

scott james

Mu-43 Rookie
Actually re-reading the original post it’s a bit ambiguous. It starts with the Sigma P&S example and the question why can’t Olympus do the same. Followed by asking for APS-C in an OMD which is ILC, not P&S so I’m not entirely sure which (or both) is what the OP is asking for.

But I agree, m43 should stay m43. I’m open to oversized sensors for mutiaspect ratio advantages (in fact that would be a desirable upgrade for me) but the format diagonal standard must remain m43. Maximising that image circle is one way to deliver better value without disrupting the system.

M43 sensor = 17.3mm x 13mm, diagonal 21.6mm
You’d need 18.82mm x 15.27mm sensor to deliver 21.6mm diagonal all the way from 16:9 to 1:1.
Call it 19x15.5mm vs the current 17.3x13mm so it’s a small increase.

IMO that would be a nice small upgrade and if there are any cooperation between Panasonic and Olympus, they should standardise that as a common feature for all m43 bodies. And maybe even collectively source an EXMOR RS sensor in that size.
Agreed I was a little ambiguous, I was using the example as a way Olympus could offer a body that would appeal to more than the micro 4/3 crowd. Over the years I have owned OM2 OM4 OM77 OM10 a couple digital pens Omd em10 omd em10 mk2 and would like to continue buying olympus products but from the comments I've read on here how dare I question the all might 4/3 . I hope olympus can survive selling only micro 4/3 cameras. Let's continue beating our chest screaming the world does not understand our beloved little sensor and continue to wonder what ice berg we hit as the SS Olympus sinks. Now time to go listen to some super audio CD's this blue ray stuff will never survive. BTW SACD's did sound better than blue ray. Long live the betamax!

wjiang

Mu-43 Legend
Now time to go listen to some super audio CD's this blue ray stuff will never survive. BTW SACD's did sound better than blue ray. Long live the betamax!
To be fair, who actually buys blu-ray? The region locking is insane, I've learned my mistake and never touching them again. As for tape - VHS is dead as well. Nothing in the way of consumer electronics will survive in the long run.

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Mu-43 is a fan site and not associated with Olympus, Panasonic, or other manufacturers mentioned on this site.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2009-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom