OK Ive given in - Returned to and Another Convert to OM-D !

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by Robstar1963, Apr 16, 2013.

1. Robstar1963

Robstar1963 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 10, 2011
    Isle of Wight England UK
    Robert (Rob)
    My first post on this forum last year announced that I had sold my New OM-D after only a week of ownership
    It didnt seem to "light my fire' or 'float my boat'
    It didnt seem to be that spectacular in how it felt or what it produced
    But perhaps more importantly it had cost too much and the outlay didnt sit well with me
    Ive always been a bargain hunter and buying a mint condition older model for a knock down price has always given me more pleasure than buying the latest 'thing' so it went on ebay
    I was told in replies that I hadnt given the camera or myself a chance to become accustomed and familiar
    I didnt regret the sale at all at the time and was sure that I had done the right thing
    However since then there have been innumerable threads telling me how absolutely stupendous the IS is including on video, threads with stunningly sharp and vibrant images taken with the camera and threads telling me that this was the best camera 'since sliced bread' and which droves were turning to in preference to their DSLRs of all denominations !
    So you have all 'ground me down', rendered me defenceless and have convinced me that the OM-D is where its at
    Of course in the interim I have also tried other cameras - returning at first to my beloved E-P3
    I then had brief love affairs with the G3, the G5 and even the GH3
    The G5 and the GH3 were both fantastic cameras for different reasons - the GH3 being the most ergonomically near perfect camera for my hands. However 'size does matter' in the end and I didnt like not being able to carry two bodies easily in my medium bag with lenses and the viewfinder was a little disappointing. But I was also back to feeling uncomfortable at the cost of the latest 'thing'
    Enter the E-PM2 - astonishing image quality in such a diminutive camera body and then the latest offer from Olympus and a substantial price drop on the OM-D !
    £839.00 for body only and a free 45mm f1.8 and spare battery or (grip and battery)
    Couple this with picking up an O-MD at the recent Focus on Imaging show with the grip attached - which I never tried first time around and the deal was done
    Order duly placed with SRS Microsystems the day before the offer expired with an explanation to wifey about how good a deal this was and here we are again with another O-MD !
    I went with a Silver one this time having gone black last time
    The silver is just great and so evocative of older cameras (I have a large collection of OMs and other 70s and 80s models) My wife even mistook it for one of my vintage collection !
    The camera just feels right to me now and just like my latest (3rd) E-P3 which Ill keep as my second body (E-PM2 now gone to part fund the OM-D) feels very purposeful and of very high quality with a nice feeling of weight
    Also I am a jpeg only shooter (for the moment) and the Olympus will give me the best results with this format
    I am committed to this camera for all of the reasons above and for all the reasons given by so many happy owners on this forum
    Pictures will follow - promise !
  2. Bhupinder2002

Bhupinder2002 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Hi Rob..
    Welcome back . OMD is a fantastic tool and I have named it as The King of Mirrorless cameras.
  3. spatulaboy

spatulaboy I'm not really here

Jul 13, 2011
    North Carolina
    Welcome back! Maybe you'll stay this time? :wink:

I don't get though... how the OMD didn't impress you the first time, but yet you expect it to do so this time. It's the same camera.
  4. RevBob

RevBob Super Moderator

Jun 4, 2011
    NorthWestern PA
    I'm a bargain hunter as well - I have my sights on an OM-D as soon as the prices fall to a level that I can afford. Enjoy! :biggrin:
  5. juangrande

juangrande Mu-43 Top Veteran

Dec 2, 2012
    My wife even mistook it for one of my vintage collection !

A distinct advantage in and of itself!:biggrin:
  6. Iansky

Iansky Mu-43 All-Pro

Dec 26, 2009
    The Cotswolds, UK
    OMD - Loving it!

Congratulations Rob,

I admit to being one of those converts who has very recently replaced all my full frame DSLR kit for an OMD kit and have to say I am delighted.

I took a long time making up my mind, reading user reviews, posts on this forum and playing with a friends OMD as well as talking at length to him (he was a professional photographer) all things pointed to the change being the way to go and I could not justify keeping a kit I only used twice a year and was fast losing residual value - result, deed done and smiling owner.

I have to admit to getting a great deal and the cost of package if I had purchased was £2990.00, with the trade in price I got for my kit I paid a difference of £92.00 so for me it was a great deal!

I have also downloaded Olympus Viewer 3 and have to say I am really impressed by the processing capability of the software and the IQ when "pixel peeped" compares with my X100 and in some cases matches that I used to get from my D700, I shoot Raw and export from Viewer 3 as 16 bit tiffs (large files around 90mb) then do any minor colour / border corrections in photoshop.........convert to 8bit and save (much better results than from Lightroom).

I cannot say enough goods things about IQ and this combined with size weight is a real winner and the added grip is a bonus and offers felexibility of choice.

This is a photo of my current prime kit now:

7. dogs100

dogs100 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Nov 12, 2011
    N Devon UK

Please don't compare my beloved e-m5 to SLICED BREAD ... :wink:

8. Halaking

Halaking Mu-43 Top Veteran

Dec 17, 2012
    Los Angeles
    Welcome back! I own both OMD and EP3, all great cameras.
  9. cstevens

cstevens Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 11, 2010
    Snap :)

Waiting for the grip still, should be within the next 2 weeks :)

No just looking for 75mm to complete my new system (and a FL600R) lol
  10. Iansky

Iansky Mu-43 All-Pro

Dec 26, 2009
    The Cotswolds, UK
    Good choice

Both are great choices and the 75 is stunning!

FL 600R is a lot smaller than I imagined and does require fairly straight line of sight to trigger effectively.
  11. cstevens

cstevens Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 11, 2010
    I am actually debating selling all my SB-700's as I rarely use them these days anyway, and getting a couple of FL600's for some off camera magic.

Still looking for the right deal on a 75mm, watching a couple on ebay and failing those will get one from Amazon next week. Think that will be me done then :)

Still got the D700, 85mm 1.8G, 24-70 2.8 and 70-200 2.8. Unfortunately they are not going anyway, however I can see me switching all my lifestyle/location work to the OM-D at some point :)
  12. Robstar1963

Robstar1963 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 10, 2011
    Isle of Wight England UK
    Robert (Rob)
    Out and about Photos

Error edited out see next entry please
  13. spinyman

spinyman Mu-43 Top Veteran

Nov 19, 2010
    San Diego
    I almost did the same thing the first few days I had it.The grip made all the difference for me.Now It amazes me every time I use it.
  14. cstevens

cstevens Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 11, 2010
    +1 the grip makes it a different camera, love it :)
  15. mirrorless

mirrorless Mu-43 Regular

Feb 16, 2013
    How much did you sell your OMD for? Wanna buy another one? lol
  16. chonbhoy

chonbhoy Mu-43 Veteran

Apr 23, 2013
    Scottish Highlands
    Welcome back, I too got the deal on the 45 and battery, I love the lens.
    Just ordered the grip too cause i can see the extra buttons being useful and extra juice for long shots at night or on a day with the 10 stop.
    It's still a lot of money so commit this time and i'm sure you wont be disappointed ;)