1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Ok its not totally m43 but its sweet :)

Discussion in 'Panasonic Cameras' started by moccaman, Oct 13, 2012.

1. moccaman

moccaman Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 4, 2012
    Australia
    Ok its not totally m43 but its sweet :) - aka LX7

The LX7, has anyone bought one of these as a pocket cam to compliment their :43: setup?

I am thinking of selling my brand new spare GF1 body and maybe the LVF1 as well, and stick with the G2 Body and all my lenses for my main kit, with either an LX5 or LX7 as a go anywhere premium pocket camera.

I been eyeing the LX5 for a long time, can get it cheap these days, the lens is great, the whole package just seems to be there for a compact.

The LX7 is not much more $$ at DWI, the new F1.4-2.3 lens is VERY tempting, but the sensor is smaller CMOS as opposed to CCD, the lens is a summilux whereas the LX5 had an F2 summicron which in leica threads is classed as a sharper lens.

So what is everyones opinion, who has one or both or used both????? :smile:

2. David

David Mu-43 Veteran

Jun 22, 2011
    Sydney
    I don't have the LX7. But I do have the LX3. Its a amzing camera for what it does. When I am traveling. I use my EPM1 with 14mm. If its during the day.
    I can use the LX3 at ISO 80. The leica lens is pretty good. BUt its still a compact. Looking at some of the shots of LX7. Its even better.

I use the LX3 to compliment the EPM1. Especially when I am near sand , or rain.
    I don't mine my lx3 with rain or snow around if it gets damage.

3. LeoS

LeoS Mu-43 Top Veteran

Aug 6, 2012
    Amazon has a bunch of Amazon Warehouse deals on the LX7, ranging from 'good' ($60 off) to 'like new' ($40 off) in their 'used' section. I don't know how much they'll wait before lowering the price further..

4. Steven

Steven Mu-43 All-Pro

May 25, 2012
    USA
    I think the biggest new thing about LX7 is the ability to use the new high resolution viewfinder from GX1. That could make it a nice companion camera for m43 Pana people.

• Like Like x 1
  5. NickLeon

NickLeon Mu-43 Regular

Oct 20, 2010
    Somerset UK
    I have been using an LX5 as a pocket camera for around a year now. It's great to use with little details like the aspect ratio switch on the lens being so well thought out and the image quality is excellent for a small camera so I'm pretty sure you wouldn't be disappointed. However as Steven points out, if you can see yourself using the new viewfinder in combo with a GX in the future then the LX7 is the one to go for.

6. dhazeghi

dhazeghi Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 6, 2010
    San Jose, CA
    Dara
    I wouldn't put much stock into that. The 'Summicron' and 'Summilux' tags are purely marketing on the LX-series, as the lenses are designed and manufactured by Panasonic. The sensor-size differences are also pretty minimal - we're talking about 10-15% smaller, vs. whatever improvements have been made technologically in the past 4 years.

The LX-series are excellent cameras. Another option to consider would be a GF3X or GF5X kit. They're not quite as small, but they're fairly close, and of course they can use your existing lenses too, in a pinch.

7. lenshoarder

lenshoarder Mu-43 All-Pro

Nov 7, 2010
    I bought a LX5. I was not impressed. In low light, it couldn't compete with my TX5 which is far smaller. For it's size, it doesn't really compete with a GF1/GF2 + 14mm in IQ. To me, it's a no man's land camera. It dosn't have the IQ to justify it's size.

The LX7 to me is a slightly warmed over LX5. Even the LX7 engineers said their goal was to make the IQ match the LX5. You can get LX5s "like new" from Amazon for $200 and change many times. I got mine for about $205 if I remember right. I think that would be better than paying twice as much for a LX7.

8. ptolemyx

ptolemyx Mu-43 Veteran

Jun 19, 2012
    Vancouver, BC
    Ben
    Yeah, but it has a 24-90mm range, which a "GF1/GF2 + 14mm" doesn't.

It also has a 1cm macro mode...
    A much higher resolution screen...
    Built in ND filter...
    A nice aperture ring...
    Multi-aspect sensor...
    OIS...

And there's no way the LX5 had worse IQ than the TX5. Just look at the studio comparison tool at dpreview... which doesn't have the TX5, but the TX10, a newer model -- it's a slaughter.

Center frame:
    Studio shot comparison: Digital Photography Review

Edge (oh, poor TX10):
    Studio shot comparison: Digital Photography Review

9. Jodie_harsh

Jodie_harsh Mu-43 Regular

Oct 13, 2012
    London
    I would have thought the GF1 would be more complimentary to the G2 and probably last a lot longer than the LX5. I guess the same would go for any standard digital camera which pops up as the latest digi cam.

10. Steven

Steven Mu-43 All-Pro

May 25, 2012
    USA
    I would probably agree with you now, but a few years ago when I bought LX-3 ,I was not even considering interchangeable lens cameras and wanted to spend as little as possible for best all around camera. A smallish fixed lens zoom compact like LX-series is still a good option for someone like that. ( Of course the arrival of RX100 sort of turned that whole category upside down, but I would say that it's just the best in that class now).

11. Amin Sabet

Amin Sabet Administrator

Apr 10, 2009
    Boston, MA (USA)
    One person's "no man's land" camera is another person's perfect compromise. MFTs is no man's land for some people but perfect for me.

I was recently looking at zoom compacts like the LX7, XZ-2, etc. I think the Fuji X10 is still my personal favorite of those, but I like the idea of the E-PM2 and P14 over all of them. I tend to shoot a zoom compact at the wide end all the time anyway.

12. Robstar1963

Robstar1963 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 10, 2011
    Isle of Wight England UK
    Robert (Rob)
    I had an LX5 for some time alongside my M43 stuff
    Image quality was superb and quite a pleasant surprise when I first bought it
    I actually ended up using the LX5 more often than the M43 for a while due to the versatility of the zoom lens
    It produces very good macro with a wide depth of field being a bonus
    Colours were good and pictures were sharp
    I would recommend the camera to anyone interested in a general use premium compact
    For the same reason and the bonus of the very much higher quality viewfinder (LVF2) which I've used I'd say that the LX7 would be a very good choice especially as the menus would be similar
    The only disappointment for me on the LX7 was the lack of a touchscreen LCD which I was expecting which would have made it a much better step up from the LX5
    The LX7 having a CMOS rather than CCD is a bonus as I did have problems sometimes on the LX5 with flare due to sensor overload in very bright conditions something that CMOS sensors suffer from less I believe
    I never really used my LX5 much in low light so can't comment on this from memory
    Go for it !

13. Robstar1963

Robstar1963 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 10, 2011
    Isle of Wight England UK
    Robert (Rob)
    PS my wife had a TX5 when I had my LX5 - the TX5 was nowhere near the LX5 for results !

14. Nameer

Nameer Mu-43 Regular

Feb 2, 2012
    UK
    I have the LX7 and absolutely love it. I would definitely recommend it. It's silent has great image quality and fun to use with the aperture ring and ND filter. I also use it with the LVF2 which I share with my GX1. It's nice and small and can fit in my jeans pocket so always have it with me. I like the focal length and that it starts at 24mm rather than 28mm, and the F1.4 Leica lens is amazing for low light use.

15. moccaman

moccaman Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 4, 2012
    Australia
    Thanks guys, I expect I would upgrade the G2 body down the track with an X series but would want a built in VF again so the external VF is not really on the cards, compactness is the key here. I will have to go find an LX7 to check out as its slightly bigger than LX5, but I do like the features on it.

Macro is very important for me in this category as I do a lot of close up photography for website product etc, this will replace my trusty old IXUS 800iS which has been a brilliant pocket camera for a long time.

A GF1 with any pancake lens is not really pocketable as far as I am concerned, the LX5 is tiny in comparison.

16. DHart

DHart Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jan 7, 2010
    Scottsdale, Arizona
    Don
    I've used an LX5 along with an extensive m4/3 kit for a couple of years now and absolutely LOVE the LX5. While the smallest of m4/3 bodies are similar in size to the LX5/LX7, as soon as you put a comparable lens on the m4/3 body... the size becomes huge compared LX5/LX7. I don't see any m4/3 kit matching the size benefit of the LX5/LX7 when focal length capability is considered.

IQ and colors with the LX5 are wonderful and the wide angle attachment gives about an 18mm FOV, which I love... and you can still zoom out with the WA lens attachment on the camera.

For the most part, though, I use my LX5 when I want versatile focal range (24mm-90mm equiv.) and a size no larger than the LX5.

I especially like and heavily lean toward the relatively wide 24mm FOV at the wide end of the lens. And the close-up capability of the camera is fantastic!

I would buy and positively recommend the LX5/LX7 in a heartbeat.

17. ptolemyx

ptolemyx Mu-43 Veteran

Jun 19, 2012
    Vancouver, BC
    Ben
    Wow - I just found (and bought) a BNIB LX7 on craigslist for $380! :biggrin:

I sold my LX3 earlier this year after I got into MFT, but I've been missing its small size & huge versatility... not to mention not always wanting to cart around $1000++ worth of equipment.

18. woof

woof Mu-43 Top Veteran

Oct 18, 2011
    The present.
    No, but it was my LX-5 that convinced me that I should give Mu43 a try... Sort of the reverse of what you describe. I am forever delighted with its capabilities.

It remains my pocketable SLR and is my go-to action/sports video camera.

woof!

19. moccaman

moccaman Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 4, 2012
    Australia
    I can get an LX7 for around $410.00 delivered, its short listed even more now that the LX5 has jumped 30 bucks at the cheapest place I know. Will be really interested to hear what you think of the LX7 size, its bigger than the 3 & 5 but not by much, and I agree sometimes I dont wana cart everything around but want the quality.

I read up on the Sony RX100 but while it has a huge sensor and is tiny, is it really that super fantastic it beats an OM-D :confused: Its a good 230 bucks more than the LX7 and lens seems significantly lesser at F1.8-4.9 compared to F1.4-2.3.

20. ptolemyx

ptolemyx Mu-43 Veteran

Jun 19, 2012
    Vancouver, BC
    Ben
    $410 is a good price -- I can't see how you can go wrong with that.

The RX100 is the obvious class-leader in terms of raw IQ at higher ISOs, but I don't see that its lens is all that sharp (compared to the LX7's in dpreview's tool) and, as you say, much less bright at the telephoto end.

I have no doubt that it'd be the better camera in a number of situations, but then the same is true of the LX7: one is not heads and shoulders above the other.