1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

OK... if this isn't a prank, things are more serious than we thought...

Discussion in 'Other Systems' started by With_Eyes_Unclouded, Sep 9, 2012.

1. With_Eyes_Unclouded

With_Eyes_Unclouded Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 17, 2012
    Vassilios
  2. krugorg

krugorg Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jul 18, 2011
    Minnesota USA
    Woah. Looks pretty awesome.

Hmmmm... my camera slush fund is somewhat (okay, significantly) below $3k at the moment.

Look how fat that lens is on there, lol... can only imagine how big it would be if it were interchangeable.

3. Jonathan F/2

Jonathan F/2 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 10, 2011
    Los Angeles, CA
    I think the RX1 looks cool, but I feel it's Sony throwing poop on the wall and seeing what sticks. Nikon F, Canon EF, M43, Fuji X and even the Samsung NX line are all consistent camera/lens systems. I don't get that same feeling of full support from Sony, which could dump whatever system at a moment's notice. They treat their camera line like the rest of their disposable electronics ecosystem.

• Like Like x 1
  4. LeoS

LeoS Mu-43 Top Veteran

Aug 6, 2012
    Goodness gracious. I was interested in getting an x100 and thought this could be an interesting option before i heard the price point.

Back to x100 hunt I guess...

Ps: i love my rx-100. I can only imagine how much better a FF sensor would be...

5. lenshoarder

lenshoarder Mu-43 All-Pro

Nov 7, 2010
    Wow. Just wow.

6. RT_Panther

RT_Panther Mu-43 Legend

May 4, 2011
    Texas
    Key take-away here is that you're getting a $1000 USD (give or take) Zeiss lens...:cool:

7. Salc64

Salc64 Mu-43 Regular

Aug 24, 2012
    New York. USA
    Sal
    So am I missing something here but does that mean it's not a zoom at all? Fixed at 35mm?

8. RT_Panther

RT_Panther Mu-43 Legend

May 4, 2011
    Texas
    Yes fixed 35mm...Just like the old film (full frame) fixed 35mm rangefinders...:smile:

9. With_Eyes_Unclouded

Apr 17, 2012
    Vassilios
    This is what the rumors say. Same pattern as with X100--->XPro1, if this makes some waves, they just buy time to develop a full frame mount for mirrorless.

And I don't think it will be $3000, at least for long.

10. LeoS

LeoS Mu-43 Top Veteran

Aug 6, 2012
    I don't know their gameplan, but the miniscule sensor on RX-100 is already making huge headlines. If they make it FF sized, it's gonna be crazy.

And there's the Leica crowd who will think $3k is such a good deal for that kind of performance :p

11. With_Eyes_Unclouded

Apr 17, 2012
    Vassilios
    Basically, either Jonathan is right:

and all this will go up in a puff of smoke gradually (i.e. no serious photographer caring about Sonys antics), or I'm right and Sony's camera and imaging departments have been given a green light to do whatever possible to dominate the market. Become the digital Kodak.

With that in mind, all recent announcements and plans are a -not that subtle- phycological warfare operation on the competition. In more practical terms, Sony can arguably make the best sensors for cameras ranging from 1" P&S to "larger than FF" (if we believe the Hasselblad rumor). Perhaps there is still time for the competition to wake up and smell the coffee. The ones that can do something about it are Canon, Samsung and Panasonic (in terms of sheer company size and also because they can make their own sensors/imaging engines). I don't like to see a monopoly in this sector. And any kind of ultra-violent market competition is great for all of us.

12. RT_Panther

RT_Panther Mu-43 Legend

May 4, 2011
    Texas
    Unusual digital cameras are not a new/recent thing for Sony. Check out their history :smile:

13. lenshoarder

Nov 7, 2010
    Agreed. Look at the R1. The RX1 is simply living up to to it's forebears.

14. RT_Panther

RT_Panther Mu-43 Legend

May 4, 2011
    Texas
    One last thing....
    Just because this one is fixed lens doesn't mean that there won't a future MILC full frame camera in the future from Sony....:wink:

15. turbodieselvw

turbodieselvw Mu-43 Veteran

Jun 29, 2010
    Ottawa
    That's what I figure will happen. If the RX1sells well, all they have to do is replace the fixed lens with a mount and it will probably sell like hotcakes.

16. With_Eyes_Unclouded

Apr 17, 2012
    Vassilios
    IMHO, it doesn't even have to sell well.

It can be an (expensive) technology demonstrator. We don't even know what this new Sony sensor (the same as in A99) is all about. If it just so happens to destroy every other sensor in its category (nothing unusual; it already happens with Sony sensors in ANY other category), if AF performance is up there with the best in mirrorless, then it will sell in small(-ish) niche market and everyone will beg Sony to make a system camera out of this. The market will be ready and willing for a ~$2500 mirrorless system camera body (I don't count Leica in this category, for obvious reasons).

17. Jonathan F/2

Jonathan F/2 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 10, 2011
    Los Angeles, CA
    Have you ever dealt with Sony or Panasonic (both electronic companies first and foremost)? They treat their camera division just like the rest of their electronics line. Your equipment gets repaired at the same place they fix Playstations and DVD players.

At least with Nikon, Canon and even little Olympus is that they have proper photographic support. Olympus still has professional repair services!

Sony may have the sensors, but they're a far cry from being a real camera/optics company.

• Like Like x 1
  18. phrenic

phrenic Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 13, 2010
    Too bad you can't remove that 1000$ lens if the camera craps out or you want to upgrade. :/

19. RT_Panther

RT_Panther Mu-43 Legend

May 4, 2011
    Texas
    Who says you can't?
    Look at all the fixed lens rangefinders that have been dismantled here....

20. lenshoarder

Nov 7, 2010
    I was going to say the same. :smile: Every camera is an interchangable lens camera. You just need the right tool and a tube of epoxy.

• Like Like x 2