Ok..I bought the E-pl2 and ????

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by Cheddarchick, Jun 26, 2011.

1. Cheddarchick

Cheddarchick Mu-43 Regular

Jun 11, 2011
    Ok, Now I feel like I am over my head. Does anyone know of a Tutorial that would help me learn the E-pl2???? Quite honestly..the manual...ahhhhh is lacking......
  2. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    Tell us a little more about your background in photography. What other cameras have you used, and how have you used them?
  3. RDM

RDM Mu-43 All-Pro

Hi there Cheddarchick , i completely understand how you feel. Until i Purchased my G1 this past April i solely used manual focus cameras with manual controls, but a class i was taking necessitated me going digital for a while to make assignments easier. So it took me a while to get use to it. I am still having trouble figuring out many of the features. I have been mostly using the A or M mode. I still focus manually since i purchased a body only and an adapter for my old manual lenses.
    But like Ned said , can you tell us a little of your photographic experiences and what cameras you have used mostly?
  4. drd1135

drd1135 Zen Snapshooter

Mar 17, 2011
    Southwest Virginia
    If you are coming from a P&S, you can just set it to one of the automatic modes like P or iAuto and just shoot away. As you get more comfortable, you can begin to adjust the settings to your own style of shooting. Remember that this camera can act like a P&S with really good image quality as you can learn the features in as much time as you want. You can also ask as many questions here as you need.
  5. Cheddarchick

Jun 11, 2011
    Just point & shoots and my Underwater Fav an Oly SP-350. I've had it for 4 years, so I am sure that in the beginning I was just as confused. On the Sp350 I had a function button I could assign a set of predetermined setting for Wide angle, Macro, Super Macro, Natural light. It was so easy to use, does the E-pl2 have this feature??? I'm only a 1/3 of the way thru the manual, and is it confusing. I never had a camera with changeable lens before and really never changed settings on the fly before.. So I am a little worried about how complex the menu system is....
    I know I will grow into it.... Here is a UW shot with my SP350

• Like Like x 3
  6. Cheddarchick

Jun 11, 2011
    Wow that is huge Sorry all....
  7. mauve

mauve Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 9, 2010
    Paris, France
    Why sorry ? That's nice to see a pic at a real viewing size. But if you really want to be kind with the resources provided by this site, open a flicker/picasa/whatever free account and embed in your posts images you uploaded there.

• Like Like x 1
  8. Cheddarchick

Jun 11, 2011
    Thats what I did..I use Photobucket..hmmmmm What size did I upload them at.....
  9. phigmov

phigmov Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Apr 4, 2010
  10. SMaturin

SMaturin Mu-43 Veteran

Apr 30, 2011
    New York's Backyard
    That is a superb underwater image. Sharp and clear with well captured subjects. Not easy in water.

As the previous posters have said, just shoot in auto as you get to know the camera, and you will enjoy the results. As you get to know its functions, read up on how to manage exposure to figure out how to get the best out of your new gear in the manual settings.

Don't let the complexity of the menus intimidate you. Use it as a fun learning experience.

11. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    More or less... if you turn the dial at the top to Scene Mode, you get pre-determined settings for different situations. However, for things like Macro and Wide Angle you need the proper lens to make that happen (a macro lens will allow close focus, while a wide angle lens has a short focal length).

If you use the iAuto setting, it will choose pre-determined scene modes for you, by gauging what kind of image it sees in the frame and picking the appropriate scene mode for it (for instance, if it recognizes a person's face it will switch to portrait mode).
  12. Armanius

Armanius Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 23, 2010
    If you don't mind spending $10, there's a "Magic Lantern" guide for the EP1, which is pretty much the same camera as the EP2, but without the electronic port for the electronic viewfinder. The guide is MUCH more user friendly than the manual.
  13. Kenal0

Kenal0 New to Mu-43

Jun 27, 2011
    The Magic Lantern guide will defintely help you with the basic functions of the camera.
    Olympus PEN E-PL1 For Dummies - For Dummies

14. Cheddarchick

Jun 11, 2011
    Sweet!!! And thanks for the help.....
  15. Cheddarchick

Jun 11, 2011
    Ok I got the Dummies book...Thanks all, I think it is going to help alot... If I ever get time to play...
  16. greylensman

greylensman New to Mu-43

Jun 30, 2011
    e-pl1 for dummies...

very useful for sorting out the controls and the purposes of the menus. Yes, it is for the e-pl1 - but the controls and purposes are close enough to be very workable.

I bought a panasonic gf2, and kept looking at the images, trying to figure out why they were not meeting my expectations - and returned that camera, the last day I could do so, for an e-pl2 with 14-42mm and 40-150mm kit.

I had both cameras for a day - took pictures with both of the same object in the same light, with the same 20mm f1.7 lens... The GF2 was a beautiful elegant well-executed camera - with a lousy sensor implementation in comparison to the Olympus. You have a very good camera in hand. Good luck.
  17. M43guy

M43guy New to Mu-43

Jul 1, 2011
    Sometimes.. Youtube videos have tutorials...
    • Like Like x 1
  18. Cheddarchick

Jun 11, 2011
    I went looking and found a couple..Now to find the time to go thru them...
  19. eawhitcomb

eawhitcomb Mu-43 Rookie

Mar 17, 2011
    Waukesha, WI
    Love your UW picture!

I also bought an E-PL2 earlier this year and am trying to learn it. I bought the E-PL1 for Dummies book and it has been very beneficial. My local camera store had a 3 hour class conducted by their Olympus rep -- it was very beneficial, but believe it or not I am getting more out of the Dummies book. Lots of fun stuff in the book that wasn't covered in the class (multiple exposure!!!).

Get out and play -- the art filters are fun, especially the dramatic.