OK. Going to try the GX7 -- now the question is: black or silver?

Discussion in 'Panasonic Cameras' started by WT21, Mar 1, 2014.

1. WT21

WT21 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 19, 2010
    OK. Going to try the GX7 -- now the question is: black or silver?

Silver is cool looking, but in my experience with the EM5 and Fuji XE1, it can draw attention. Black cameras rarely do that.

Silly decision point, but there it is, lol.
  2. AcridSaint

AcridSaint Mu-43 Regular

Feb 25, 2014
    North Carolina
    I just ordered the silver one. Silver always reminds me of film days, which is why I started using M43 anyways. I don't think either actually attracts more attention.
  3. mattia

mattia Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 3, 2012
    The Netherlands
    I prefer my cameras black.
  4. bassman

bassman Mu-43 Top Veteran

Apr 22, 2013
    New Jersey
    Both my GX7 and E-M5 are silver over black. Except for people thinking they're old film cameras, I don't think it makes any difference in getting attention.
  5. WT21

WT21 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 19, 2010
    That's actually exactly what I'm talking about. Sometimes you welcome that, sometimes you just want to shoot!
  6. orfeo

orfeo Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 27, 2013
    I don't know what is better for drawing the least attentions. I guess silver GX7 attracts attention from people who know nothing about cameras, and black GX7 attracts attention from geeky camera buffs.

Cartier Bresson used to put black tape all over his silver leica. But that was a long time ago. I would say silver is the new black when it comes to look like a non pro photog.
  7. val

val Mu-43 Top Veteran

Dec 19, 2013
    Black for sure.

it just looks better

I named mine "the black ninja", with a small black lens (PL 25mm f1.4 is my choice) and silent shutter, no one will notice you.
  8. meyerweb

meyerweb Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Sep 5, 2011
    Whichever YOU like better. What I prefer makes no difference at all.

Mine is black, but that's mainly because my wife would be less likely to notice a new camera. :)
    • Like Like x 3
  9. CiaranCReilly

CiaranCReilly Mu-43 Veteran

Oct 18, 2012
    Ciaran Reilly
    Went black myself, although I loved my silver and black E-P1 I thought the GX7 looked best in black only.
  10. Itchybiscuit

Itchybiscuit Photon Mangler

Dec 10, 2013
    Glasgow, Scotland
    I prefer my cameras to be black.

Except when they're silver...
  11. mattia

mattia Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 3, 2012
    The Netherlands
    They thought that about my black E-M5 often enough too. Kind if funny.
  12. WasOM3user

WasOM3user Mu-43 Veteran

Oct 20, 2012
    Lancashire, UK
    I'm the wrong person to ask. ALL my cameras have been black since my ON1n in the '80's :):)
  13. pdk42

pdk42 One of the "Eh?" team

Jan 11, 2013
    Leamington Spa, UK
    On a practical note, silver will show scratches much more easily than black.
  14. moccaman

moccaman Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 4, 2012
    How do you figure that? Black is a coating, scratch it and it shows whats underneath.
  15. GFFPhoto

GFFPhoto Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 24, 2013
    I don't worry that much about color, but I bought the silver so it would look decent with the silver Oly lenses I already had. That being said, I do think it looks better in silver.
  16. rockie577

rockie577 New to Mu-43

Feb 16, 2014
    IMHO, Silver camera match silver and black lens well, so i picked silver EM5 and GX7
  17. kiamosg

kiamosg Mu-43 Rookie

Feb 25, 2014
    Go for silver. Then buy a t-shirt that says for example National Geographic and go out starting taking photos. You will be amazed by how many of the intimidated people would pose for you. Vanity is a drug my friend. Use it to your advantage. After all you are just a person that likes to catch moments good or bad.
  18. Amin Sabet

Amin Sabet Administrator

Apr 10, 2009
    Boston, MA (USA)
    Both good looking. I had a silver E-M5 so picked a black GX7. I do like the fact that my stealthy black GX7 can shoot silently :).
    • Like Like x 1
  19. leftnose

leftnose Mu-43 Regular

Dec 5, 2013

Though black bodies need black lenses. Silver bodies look good with black or silver lenses.

Now if Panasonic would just release a black GM1 in the US....
    • Like Like x 1
  20. daum

daum Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 26, 2011
    black looks better for the GX7.