OK, another rookie question on exposure w/legacy glass

Discussion in 'Adapted Lenses' started by tanngrisnir3, Dec 18, 2011.

1. tanngrisnir3

tanngrisnir3 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Oct 18, 2011
    Just got out yesterday for the first time w/the fotodiox MC/MD adapter and tried to just play around in M mode with a 135 2.8.

The first thing I notice was that everything looked like crap. The second thing I noticed is that it was two filters on it (sky and 'haze') that likely had not been removed since 1984. Looked great after those came off.

However, one thing really struck me and that's that there's no exposure meter/bar and the bottom of the screen/EVF when using this glass in manual.

A. Is it possible to get the exposure meter using glass like this?
    B. If not, any clever tricks anyone know for judging, then nailing correct exposure?

Thanks in advance, as always.

2. dhazeghi

dhazeghi Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 6, 2010
    San Jose, CA
    Dara
    The live histogram is the modern equivalent of the exposure meter bar. Enable it if you're going to use manual exposure mode. With most m4/3 cameras, you can have it superimposed on the main view.

Aperture priority mode works just the same as it would for a native lens, so as a starting point, it's the easiest way to go - just set the aperture on the lens and the camera will determine the correct shutter speed.

DH

3. Markb

Markb Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 9, 2011
    Kent, UK
    Mark
    +1 on the live histogram. On Pens push the info button until it appears on the display.

4. tanngrisnir3

Oct 18, 2011
    Ack. I was sort of afraid of that. I've becoming permanently accustomed to that handy exposure bar at the bottom of the frame.

I hate using the histogram, but I guess I'll have to get used to it.

5. spatulaboy

spatulaboy I'm not really here

Jul 13, 2011
    North Carolina
    Vin
    Which camera do you use? I see a exposure bar on my G2.

6. SCT

SCT Mu-43 Regular

Mar 8, 2011
    Landover, MD, USA
    Wondering the same. On my EPL1, there's a bar at the bottom that I use as my guide. I pretty much always use adapted lenses now.

On the lense, you don't want to have the aperature wide open which will. I say during daylight or similar, 5.6 or smaller is best then just adjust the shutter speed for desired exposure. Which in most cases, I have my exposure meter reading zero or occasionally down to -3 for a bit of darker shading/ contrast.

7. tanngrisnir3

Oct 18, 2011
    A GH2, and I've only tried it on manual.

About to go try in outside in AP.

8. Unless you want the FULL manual experience, let the camera work out the exposure for you: A or P mode.

9. spatulaboy

spatulaboy I'm not really here

Jul 13, 2011
    North Carolina
    Vin
    Well I'm almost certain the display for GH2 and G2 are near identical. Go into your menu under costume settings and check to see if the exposure meter is set to on or off.

10. dhazeghi

dhazeghi Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 6, 2010
    San Jose, CA
    Dara
    It does have certain advantages. All the exposure bar tells you is where your exposure is as compared to middle gray. The histogram though gives you a sense of the exposure of the entire image. For me that's worth it. And of course in A or P mode, you can largely ignore it and let the camera's metering take care of things.

DH

11. ddegomez

ddegomez Mu-43 Regular

Apr 7, 2011
    Yeah, except on my GH1 the histogram sucks. Or it does compared to my Ep1. In the Ep1 the histogram is a long rectangle. As you change exposure you can easily see the display shift from one side to the other. With The Gh1 the histogram is a square box and even drastic changes in exposure don't really show up in the histogram.
    I shoot allot of landscapes and the typical landscape histogram will display two humps. The hump on the right is the brighter sky and the hump on the left is the darker foreground. Base on these two humps I will shoot two frames; the first with a slower shutter speed and the left hump peak in the middle of the display. The second with a shorter shutter speed and the right hump peak in the middle of the display. In Photoshop these two frames can be put together for a print with the widest possible tonal range.

12. nickthetasmaniac

nickthetasmaniac Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 11, 2011
    There should be an exposure bar in Manual mode on the GH2 (because I've tried...)

Try pressing the 'Display' button - this should allow you to scroll through different views...

13. tanngrisnir3

Oct 18, 2011
    Newp, it's turned on. In fact, I've never seen/had a camera before that allows on to turn it off (or, rather, not one that I know of).

Went out a got a bad haircut, but will go out tomorrow and see what happens.

It's likely operator error, but now I'm a bit nervous that something's screwed up.

14. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    Okay, then that is all sorted out now? The two modes I normally use with legacy lenses are M and P. M is still full manual like normal, but P with a legacy lens is the equivalent of Aperture Priority with a native lens.

Some cameras may have different effects with Priority Modes (Shutter or Aperture) with legacy lenses. Technically, S should do the same as M and A should do the same as P... but some cameras won't give me an exposure bar in S or A. Therefore I stick with M and P, which always shows me the meter.

15. tanngrisnir3

Oct 18, 2011
    Well, that's sort of the issue, Ned, but I'll know better tomorrow.

I put the dial on M, but the lens and adapter onto the camera, and there was zero exposure meter on the display. Nada. Zip.

I don't know why this is, but I'll find out in the morning.

16. John M Flores

John M Flores Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 7, 2011
    Somerville, NJ
    The GH2 most definitely displays the exposure bar with legacy glass:

[ame=https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y8XK8iJ4sdI]Panasonic GH2 EVF Demonstration - YouTube[/ame]

Is your "Shoot w/o Lens" set to On or Yes?

p.s. sorry to hear about the badhaircut.

17. tanngrisnir3

Oct 18, 2011
    OOOOOOOOOOOOOOHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

THAT's the exposure meter? LOL, that explains everything! I wasn't even looking for one that looks like that!

Coming from and LX5 and a 7D, both of with have the entire bar, from -3 to 0 to +3, across the bottom of the screen/OVF, I didn't think to even look for a sort of little, halfvsies version of on off to center right.

Before I look more foolish, is there a way to get a traditional -3 0 +3 bar on the EVF?

I've got to spend more time w/this camera, but work has been nuts, so it'll have to wait for Christmas in Big Sur and/or NYE in Death Valley.

Thanks again!