OIS v IBIS Panny V Olympus

Bidkev

Mu-43 Legend
Brisbane Australia from Blackpool UK 25yrs ago
OK, I don't know if this has been done to death before but I have searched here and also googled the hell out of it prior to buying the panny 100-400 to use with my e m5mkll and I disagree with the results of my wanderings on the net.

I'm not interested in any dual IS debate but the impression that I got from the non dual research was that users generally think that Olly IBIS is better for the shorter length lenses where above 100mm they thought that Panny OIS was better at stabilisation and also bettered autofocus.

I have a much lower keeper rate since switching OIS priority on than when I used IBIS. The images just don't exhibit the crispness that I was getting with IBIS and I also found AF to be slower and in some cases, unachievable on subjects that were previously no problem when I used IBIS. In these cases, I had to move focus away from the subject re focus there, and then come back to the subject and attempt focus again in order to achieve it.

I know my eyes are worsening by the day but I'm almost certain that 5 axis IBIS beats Panny OIS on any length lens. What are your experiences?

wjiang

Mu-43 Legend
OK, I don't know if this has been done to death before but I have searched here and also googled the hell out of it prior to buying the panny 100-400 to use with my e m5mkll and I disagree with the results of my wanderings on the net.

I'm not interested in any dual IS debate but the impression that I got from the non dual research was that users generally think that Olly IBIS is better for the shorter length lenses where above 100mm they thought that Panny OIS was better at stabilisation and also bettered autofocus.

I have a much lower keeper rate since switching OIS priority on than when I used IBIS. The images just don't exhibit the crispness that I was getting with IBIS and I also found AF to be slower and in some cases, unachievable on subjects that were previously no problem when I used IBIS. In these cases, I had to move focus away from the subject re focus there, and then come back to the subject and attempt focus again in order to achieve it.

I know my eyes are worsening by the day but I'm almost certain that 5 axis IBIS beats Panny OIS on any length lens. What are your experiences?
On my E-M1 it appears to overwork the CPU doing C-AF and IBIS at the same time, the E-M1 Mk2 with dual processors resolves this issue though. I was also getting more vignetting when panning with IBIS, probably because my panning was not smooth enough and the IBIS causes more shift than the OIS does. I also found panning more difficult in general, the OIS felt smoother while the IBIS was more like an elastic band (this is with auto-panning mode enabled).

The actual stabilisation performance of the IBIS may well be better but the Power OIS is good enough for moving subjects, and overcomes the above difficulties for me.

Tool Crazy

Mu-43 Top Veteran
I've noticed that panasonic OIS on telephoto lenses is better than Oly em10ii 5 axis IBIS. My test criteria was using a 45-150 at 150 (any camera) had better results handheld at much slower shutter speeds than a Oly em10ii with 40-150pro at 150.
However I believe the em10ii has inferior ibis to the em5ii so I can't really say about that camera's ibis vs panny ois. Haven't ever tried the em5ii before.

ToxicTabasco

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
ToxicTabasco
I can see how that would happen Bidkev, and I agree with your observations. I'm finding out that the G9 Dual IS2 is not as good as the regular Dual IS of the GX85 for video with ranges of 35mm equivalent and longer telephoto lenses. There are no cameras that I know of other than MFT cameras that can hand hold video smoothly with normal range lenses and even telephotos and super telephotos for video.

I've been messing with the Custom AF Settings for the past month, and the G9 stabilizer's lock on is so strong, it jerks when panning video. I know I should be using the panning option on the stabilizer, but with longer lens ranges like 35 to 50mm equivalent I lose the up and down stability when shooting video and moving the camera for slider and jib like shots hand held becomes a problem. On the other hand, the GX85 even with it's crop in on 4K is much smoother, and doesn't lock on so hard to the stabilizer's reference point.

What I see is the DUAL IS adapts to the scene, and locks on to the subject, and uses a background contrasting object as a reference point to keep the stabilizer steady while shooting photo or video. Thus, when that background reference point is moved out of alignment with the stabilizer or senor's range of motion, the camera finds another reference point to lock on instantly. Thus, causing a jerk or quick pull to get back on track. This is not a problem with photo, but with video, it's difficult to do camera movement while shooting.

The GX85 on the other hand, seems to lock on to a larger background reference area, and even with longer lens angles like 35mm to 50mm, it will track and provide very smooth video while moving the camera.

The G9 has the Custom AF Settings, and it's taking some time to get the mix right for video and photo. Anyway, that's been my experience with the DUAL IS2, and DUAL IS.

Just one more thing, the Olympus 40-150 pro worked exceptionally well with the G9's stabilizer and AF system. In fact, while shooting video hand held it was smoother panning and moving camera shots at the 40mm end vs my Panasonic lenses. And, that's when I realized the DUAL IS2 performed different for video. I still need to tweak the Custom AF Settings to find the right sensitivities. Or use a custom mode for the 4K video camera movement shots.

Latest threads

Top Bottom