OIS & playback questions??

Discussion in 'Panasonic Cameras' started by noelh, Oct 11, 2011.

1. Occasionally in my rush & thoughtless moments I've forgotten to shut the OIS off when taking photos using the tripod. Outside of no real need for OIS (my default is mode 2) when using a tripod why bother shutting down the lens stabilization? If panning a shot using the tripod would leaving the OIS active in mode 3 be a bad or good idea?

If shooting RAW only on the G2 & GF-1 is the image viewed in playback mode the RAW image or a jpeg of the RAW?
  2. Wasabi Bob

Wasabi Bob Mu-43 Top Veteran

This info might help

The recommendation to disable OIS when using a tripod actually goes back to the "FZ" mega-zoom point and shoot camera's also offered by Panasonic. If OIS is left on and the camera is truly motionless, when you press the shutter half way on some models you can see a very slight vertical "floating" effect on the LCD image. Effectively this is the OIS "hunting" for motion to stabilize. OIS was designed and optimized to minimize human jitter that takes place at ~ 17 hz.

I've done quite a bit of testing and never saw any degradation in the clarity of any photos. My OIS is always on. Fast panning would best be done in mode 3 where OIS's correction is only looking for vertical movement.
    • Like Like x 1
  3. Luckypenguin

Luckypenguin .

Oct 9, 2010
    Brisbane, Australia
    The original IS lenses from Canon and subsequent others had a comparatively primitive feedback system that meant that the IS unit always had to be working. When the camera was as near as possible to being totally still (on a tripod) the IS would still be crunching away and actually degrade IQ. It was ~15 years ago, remember. I think that the various IS systems available now are a bit smarter than that.
  4. shnitz

shnitz Mu-43 Top Veteran

Aug 25, 2011
    Austin, TX
    Turning off IS during tripod use extended much further back than the FZ, and it extends to all IS cameras of today, including Panasonic and Olympus. It's not correct to assume that it only happens to other brands, or only to older cameras. All IS systems work effectively the same, sampling vibrations. As an example:
    Ctein found weird effects from tripod and Olympus IBIS. Here is his specific quote:
    "On a tripod, it definitely works better to turn image stabilization off. I got slightly wonky results on my early resolution tests until I figured that out. The results with stabilization on aren't awful, they're just less than optimal."

I just did a quick snapshot test to illustrate this, using newspaper because there is lots of detail, so the effects are easy to see. It doesn't matter if the image stabilization system is in-lens or in-body; whether it's Panasonic, Olympus, Nikon, Pentax. If you're using image stabilization, and your camera is on a tripod, you're going to run into issues. I put my G2 with a 14-42 OIS lens, set to mode 1, and took a picture of newspaper taped to a wall. Uploaded the RAW files straight to Lightroom, and only cropped and used auto white balance. Here are 100% center crops of the images. Observe:

OIS off
    OIS on, example 1
    OIS on, example 2

Those are fairly representative of what you'll get. Sometimes you'll have only slight effects, and sometimes it will be more pronounced, depending on when you catch the OIS system with the shutter.

Regardless, while the shots are not ruined, you are definitely getting very good image quality for the money if you're leaving OIS on. With longer lenses, the error should be more drastic.