1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

OIS on IBIS body question

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by davidzvi, Nov 22, 2015.

1. davidzvi

davidzvi Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 12, 2012
    Outside Boston MA
    David
    I know you can set lens priority on an Olympus body. But what if you want to use IBIS and the Panasonic lens doesn't have the OIS On/Off switch? Does the body over ride and disable the lens OIS?

I remember this being an issue when Panasonic first started coming out with lenses without the switch and prompted Olympus to add the lens priority option. But a I was wondering if they've since added the ability to override and turn off OIS based on the setting in camera.

2. Replytoken

Replytoken Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 7, 2012
    Puget Sound
    Ken
    I have been wondering the same thing since I picked up the 12-32 and 35-100 with a GF7. My prime body is an E-M1 and I have not been able to find the answer either.

--Ken

3. Halaking

Halaking Mu-43 Top Veteran

Dec 17, 2012
    Los Angeles
    Morris
    I have Panny 45-150 4-5.6, it does not have IS on/off button, but it works great on EM5 mark I, Although EM5 I does not have option to choose IS. When I use the same 45-150 lens on EM5 mark II, I got burr image when using Olympus 5 axis IS, I have to turn it off and switch to Panny lens IS to get the shot, and of course I think the Olympus 5 axis works better for me, even on the EM5 mark I.

4. gravijaflare

gravijaflare Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 28, 2014
    A planet called Gaia
    as per the user guide:

Lens I.S. Priority If [On] is selected, priority is given to the lens function operation when using a lens with an image stabilization function.

so i think the ibis will override the ois when this setting is off, whether the lens has an ois switch or not. :)

• Appreciate Appreciate x 1
  5. Halaking

Dec 17, 2012
    Los Angeles
    Morris
    It is not happening on EM5 II, I got burr shots due to the 2 IS systems conflict.

6. gravijaflare

gravijaflare Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 28, 2014
    A planet called Gaia
    ^ then it might be a lens-dependent issue. i've been using a panasonic 42.5mm 1.7 (which doesn't have an ois switch) on an e-m5 mark II and i have yet to encounter blurring..

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. barry13

barry13 Super Moderator; Photon Wrangler

Mar 7, 2014
    Southern California
    Barry
    Sounds like a bug that should be reported to Oly customer service.

Barry

8. davidzvi

davidzvi Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 12, 2012
    Outside Boston MA
    David
    Are camera and lens firmwares all up to date? The 42.5 is a newer lens than the 45-150, maybe it's a firmware issue with the lens?

9. davidzvi

davidzvi Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 12, 2012
    Outside Boston MA
    David
    It didn't use to as I recall (which is why I'm asking). And from the manual quote it specifically says that "on" gives priority to the lens, but doesn't specifically say the reverse is true.

10. Halaking

Dec 17, 2012
    Los Angeles
    Morris
    EM5 II/Panny lenses firmware are up to date, I also feel that 12-32 lens IS is not batter than Olys 5 axis, but all the penny's lenses are working better on the EM5 mark I for me.

11. davidzvi

davidzvi Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 12, 2012
    Outside Boston MA
    David
    I think IBIS is better for many things (maybe not long telephoto). But for my 42.5 I would rather IBIS over OIS since I use it more often for closeup stuff. Maybe I should trade the Pan for an Oly but the Pan focuses a good bit closer.

• Like Like x 1
  12. Robstar1963

Robstar1963 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 10, 2011
    Isle of Wight England UK
    Robert (Rob)
    My understanding is that IBIS if switched on on all Olympus cameras stays on and overrides the O.I.S in the lens if the lens has no switch and that on older bodies without the additional menu option to prioritise the O.I.S you could not use the O.I.S if you wanted to.
    If you had a switch on your O.I.S lens and set it to on on older bodies you would then have 2 conflicting systems working at the same time.
    With newer bodies the menu allows you to override the I.S. if you prefer to use the O.I.S if it happens to be better on lenses without a switch
    When an O.I.S lens with switch set to on it ( on later bodies) has no effect unless you have selected lens O.I.S priority
    Not sure if I am correct but an example might be on the EPM2 where the inbuilt I.S is not terribly good and you can then choose to override the I.S and use the attached lens O.I.S even when it doesn't have a switch or even if it does have one as the switch has no effect unless the menu override is set
    However if I.S is switched off in any case above the O.I.S will automatically switch on with lenses with no switch and if the O.I.S switch is set to on
    I think that's right ??? But I could be wrong !!!
    Regards
    Rob