OIS issue with 14-45 & 45-200 lenses on E-PL5 body

Discussion in 'Native Lenses' started by jyc860923, Jan 17, 2013.

1. jyc860923

jyc860923 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 28, 2012
    Shenyang, China
    贾一川
    Hi All

there's no such report yet but I've observed blurred image when using P14-45 and P45-200 on the E-PL5 with lens IS priority on, which happens quite often in bright situations, images only look sharp when resized down to 50%. I haven't noticed the blur when using them on the GF3 so it's probably not the same issue as the PZ1442 has. has any body else had the same experience too? i've lost the epl5 so am thinking about re-getting one, but such problem is what I'm trying to avoid when buying my next camera, TIA.

2. jyc860923

Feb 28, 2012
    Shenyang, China
    贾一川
    anybody?

3. Are you sure that the lens priority option works with those two lenses? It was meant so that you could use the OIS on lenses that lack a physical switch, but both the 14-45 and 45-200 allow you to turn it on and off on the lens. It's possible that both systems were active if the results are that bad.

• Like Like x 1
  4. stripedrex

stripedrex Do or do not. There is no try.

Jun 8, 2012
    Long Island, NY
    Alex
    I owned 2 PZ 14-42x lenses both of which I'm able to take crisp pictures and don't see the double image. However, I believe a lot of it is how you hold the camera. I tested both lenses to see if one was better and saw they both did well. I compared it to other lenses and noticed that on the Olympus 45mm with similar shots I was getting blur (or seemingly double images) on some shutter speeds. Then I'd take the same pic, lean against a wall, lean my eye to the evf, and slowly breath out and take a click then no 'double image'. I think these camera bodies being so small and light techique will dictate how clear the images are. You can almost feel the camera shake when the shutter releases on some of the bodies. I hear the GX1 in particular has a very harsh shutter. I noticed I don't need to do that as much on my GH2 as I do on my GF2 so I really do think weight, size and technique matters a lot for this system. Just a thought.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Ulfric M Douglas

Ulfric M Douglas Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Mar 6, 2010
    Northumberland
    So how are you going to post pictures illustrating your problem with both stabilisations on and off? That's four sets of pictures and crops to do ... unless ... you're just leaving this hanging out there?

• Like Like x 1
  6. jyc860923

Feb 28, 2012
    Shenyang, China
    贾一川
    thanks. I don't know actually, thought that the lens OIS priority will let the switch on the lens decide whether to use OIS at all. so should I just turn the IS off in SCP and leave the lens OIS switch on? I'm afraid it's due to the fact that both IS were working, but I can't test it for now.

7. jyc860923

Feb 28, 2012
    Shenyang, China
    贾一川
    I can't, it was lost with the PL25 on it, and with PL25 there wasn't such issue. I should've tried with lens OIS switched off

8. The results you describe of the images not being very sharp would point to both IS systems being active, which is why I'm thinking that maybe the lens IS priority feature in the E-PL5 doesn't apply to Panasonic OIS lenses that have a physical switch on the lens barrel to turn the OIS on or off.

• Like Like x 1
  9. jyc860923

Feb 28, 2012
    Shenyang, China
    贾一川
    I think it's due to both IS being active too. Now I remember having tried when I had the E-PL5 with lens IS switched on and off while shaking the camera and it looked different from the live view, so the switch on the lens is supported:thumbup:. So next time when I have it I should just turn either IS off by the lens switch or SCP I guess

10. cr1234

cr1234 New to Mu-43

Apr 29, 2013
    jyc860923:

How fast does the 14-45 panasonic focus with the E-PL5 compared to the kit lens? Thanks.

11. bwc1976

bwc1976 Mu-43 Rookie

Jul 30, 2012
    Spring Valley, CA
    I have an E-PM1 with the 14-45, and just noticed that several of my shots from a birthday party yesterday had the double image effect. I've long known about the E-PM1's IBIS issues and made sure it was turned off, but I leave the OIS switch on my 14-45 on even when I probably don't need it. All of the shots with the double image were around 1/80 to 1/125 shutter speeds, and with the camera held vertically. Maybe the lens IS is affected by the camera's shutter just the same as the camera's own IS? Maybe I'm not as good at holding the camera vertical, it is a pretty awkward shape. Guess I'll try leaving the lens OIS switched off except when I'm sure I need it, just like I do with the camera's IBIS.

12. jyc860923

Feb 28, 2012
    Shenyang, China
    贾一川
    Hi bwc1976

I think since EPM2 and EPL5 has Olympus introduced the "lens IS priority", so no wonder EPM1's having double image trouble. I've never used an EPM1 but I don't suppose it should enable both IS at the same time, anyway just turn off the lens IS and use the body IS.

13. jyc860923

Feb 28, 2012
    Shenyang, China
    贾一川
    Hi Chris

I've been using the p14-45 since I sold my Oly 14-42 II kit, I've noticed sharpness upgrade and some kind of "Panny" colour that I really like. And for the focusing part, I guess you wouldn't experience slow compared to the Oly kit, but since the p14-45 is an old model you're supposed to upgrade the lens' firmware for the best compatibility as well as silent operation during video recording and better lens OIS. Generally I would say this is the best kit lens, full featured, hope you enjoy yours.