OI.Share Problem IOS

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by radamo, Oct 26, 2013.

1. radamo

radamo Mu-43 Regular

Aug 22, 2012
    Long Island, NY
    Rich
    I have an iPhone 4s with IOS 7.0.3. I have OI.Share v2.1 and am trying to set it up with a Private connection to my E-M1. The first time I scanned the QR code it looked like it connected (icon on phone went green and said on). I pressed OK on the camera and nothing happened. I pressed "Remote Control" on the phone and nothing happened. Tried reloading the QR code and that did not help either.

Any ideas?

Thanks,
    RA

2. radamo

radamo Mu-43 Regular

Aug 22, 2012
    Long Island, NY
    Rich
    Okay, for anyone having an issue (like I did)... here is how I got it to work. It seems that since I use wifi at my house my phone would not automatically switch over to the E-M1 wifi. I had to go into settings on my camera in the wifi menu and manually select the E-M1. Once I did this my phone switched from my home wifi to the camera and all was good to go.

Is the QR code supposed to stay up on the camera screen? Mine seems to stay that way but remote control does work from the phone at that point.

3. bcaslis

bcaslis Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 3, 2011
    Wilsonville, OR, USA
    Brian Caslis
    Yes as you discovered you may need to change the wifi connection manually if you have another connection. And yes, the QOR code stays up. Don't know why.

• Like Like x 1
  4. mattphoto

mattphoto Mu-43 Regular

Oct 21, 2013
    New York
    I found the Wifi connection thing to be really clunky. Also the profile seems to be set up incorrectly. My phone looks at the camera for the internet gateway when it should just use my LTE... that pretty much screws any sharing or internet while I'm connected to the camera. Anyone else having that issue?

5. tornado

tornado Mu-43 Veteran

Nov 6, 2012
    IOS has been difficult for me also. Got it to work only once or twice 1 day trying. Since then, I've had no luck. Something's changed...getting "faliure to connect" msg's all the time now.

Can my home wifi setup have any affect on this connection between cam & phone? I know it shouldn't, since it's supposed to have the cam acting as the router for the phone to connect with.

6. bcaslis

bcaslis Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 3, 2011
    Wilsonville, OR, USA
    Brian Caslis
    If your phone is set to automatically connect to the home network, then yes it could be switching and causing these messages. But it's hard to tell without knowing the exact sequence where you experience the problem.

7. robbie36

robbie36 Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 25, 2010
    Bangkok
    rob collins
    This isnt really an issue it is how your phone works. If you are connected on wifi, the phone basically looks for your internet connection via wifi and as it doesnt find one, the internet connection doesnt work.

8. robbie36

robbie36 Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 25, 2010
    Bangkok
    rob collins
    I spent 20 minutes trying to get Olympus IOS share to work on my GF's phone - an iphone 5S with IOS7. I tried everything - QR code connect, manually changing the wifi, even manually inputting the password - but it all ended with being unable to connect on the phone. So eventually gave up, transferred the photos to my ipad using Olympis OIS share and then transferred them to my GF using 'airshare' or whatever the IOS equivalent of NFC is called. Actually that works pretty well. You feel a bit of a plonker with your fancy camera, fancy wifi, fiddling around with a wifi connection that wont work.

9. nstelemark

nstelemark Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 28, 2013
    Halifax, Nova Scotia Canada
    Larry
    Well after some initial issues with an early version. I have been having good luck with OI.share. I shot some long exposures the other evening and the remote control was very very cool. A really slick remote shutter release.

10. tornado

tornado Mu-43 Veteran

Nov 6, 2012
    OK, I just had some success! It appears most of the problem was with the loose nut on the outside of the phone & EM-1...i.e. ME!
    I figured out I had to first switch the phone's wifi connection to the EM1 in the phone's settings screen, after starting the camera's wifi mode. Then go into oi share app, and it should then just connect, assuming I've already done the Easy Setup QR code scan or manually typed in the password (which I had done days ago).
    Presto...got a connection message and could control the camera. On my iPhone 3GS, that is nearly 1 sec delay from real time to phone display...so it's pretty awkward trying the manually focus and frame the shot. But it seems to work other wise.

Now my real goal here was to get io share working on a side-loaded install to my Blackberry Z10 Smartphone. And, after doing the connection steps above it did work...happy to report it was much lower delay, less than 1/4 sec...likely a better wifi speed than the tired old iphone. However, after taking the picture, though I could zoom on screen to review, when hitting the save button I got a failed to save message....so might be some phone related settings that need adjusting (security etc.).

Mike.

11. bill70

bill70 New to Mu-43

Mar 15, 2014
    OI.Share Problem blackberry Z10

Looking for help with OI.Share

possibly have Z10 wi-fi settings incorrect, any recommendations appreciated

Ep-5 has 1 next to the wi-fi

Blackberry wi-fi setting connected

however the camera icon on OI. share just keeps changing back and forth from off to rotating circle
    and says unable to find Olympus camera

Thanks Bill

12. tornado

tornado Mu-43 Veteran

Nov 6, 2012
    Yes, I'm still having trouble with OiShare on my Blackberry Z10. The app itself fails to correctly connect, even though phone is connected to the camera (camera's WiFi shows connected with a 1 symbol and phone's settings menu show the EM1 wifi connected).
    I guess there is a problem with how OiShare interacts with the phone's wifi network. I've also recent;y heard of others having similar issues on certain Android devices. So, we're likley going to have to wait for Olympus to update this app.
    No big deal for, using this wifi remote control is a bit clunky at best and no real subtitute for a proper remote release cable. Though it is nice to get pics onto the phone for immediate uploads.

13. Leif

Leif Mu-43 Regular

Sep 28, 2012
    Germany
    Leif
    So far I didn't had any issues with it, but I'm using an Android Phone (Galaxy S4). I just scan the barcode and a short moment later I'm connected and the connection is very stable.

The only important thing was for me that I had to go into the wifi settings of my phone and deactivate that it automatically switches between wifi networks - otherwise the phone might automatically disconnect from my E-M10 and connect to my home wifi.
    I don't know iOS that well, but maybe it has such an option as well? I would search the problem on the phone and its settings, not the camera.

14. carbonbianchi

carbonbianchi New to Mu-43

Jan 31, 2014
    I had this problem on my S4. I turned off the 'auto network switch' in the Wi-Fi advanced settings and it sorted it.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

15. tornado

tornado Mu-43 Veteran

Nov 6, 2012
    Just tried this again BlackBerry z10 to camera network connection works, but the Ois fails to see the existing connection. BlackBerry runs Ois in an android Jellybean emulator.
    Looks like I need to wait for an Ois update or further improvements to the emulator. What bugs me is this was working a while ago prior to updating camera firmware

Sent from my BlackBerry z10 via mu43 App.
    My BlackBerry Messenger pin:24BDF528

16. Leif

Leif Mu-43 Regular

Sep 28, 2012
    Germany
    Leif
    There should also be an update to the Olympus Image Share App for Android within the next two weeks fixing a bug with Kitkat and phones with MicroSD cards. Maybe this will include some other fixes or an update for iOS as well

17. bill70

bill70 New to Mu-43

Mar 15, 2014
    Blackberry FIX

turn off Data services in mobile network let Olympus Tech know, they could not help nither

Bill

18. tornado

tornado Mu-43 Veteran

Nov 6, 2012
    YES! Turning off the Data Services in the Blackberry's network settings, then going to the wifi settings, selecting the camera's wifi network, entering in the appropriate passcode...then going in to OI Share, the app would successfully connect right away!
    I was off to the races and could fully control the camera, save newly mints shots to the phone or off load previously captured pics from cam to phone.

This is all with the Android version of OI Share loaded to the Blackberry via the Amazon App store.
    WooHoo!
    Go Blackberry!
    Mike.