1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

OI Share app and GPS

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by Sootchucker, Jun 13, 2016.

1. Sootchucker

Sootchucker Mu-43 Regular

Aug 9, 2012
    Hi all, I'll be going on holiday in a few weeks to Croatia, with visits to Venice (Italy) and Lake Bled in Slovakia. I'll be taking my OMD EM5-II with a selection of lenses and would like to GPS tag all the images.

I've done a bit of a first trial test of the OI Share app, and I think I've got the system for GPS tagging sorted (basically just start the app, click the "Add Geotag" to start logging, then when done, connect the phone and the camera together via wifi and it will ask if I want to Geotag the images).

My question is what sort of strain does this put on battery life on the smartphone ? I have both an Iphone 6 and a Galaxy S5 available to take, but if my day trips last around 8-12 hours, will the phones battery cope with this i.e. does tagging in the app consume a lot of battery ? Will I get a full days shooting ?

2. rfortson

rfortson Mu-43 Veteran

Wow, didn't realize the OI Share app did this. Pretty handy!

3. Dolphinjon

Dolphinjon Mu-43 Regular

May 9, 2016
    An external battery pack is the ticket. I always keep one with me when I'm out and about, though it's usually a fairly large one. Maybe I need a tiny one

Sent from my iPhone using Mu-43 mobile app

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. Anaxagoras

Anaxagoras New to Mu-43

Jun 13, 2016
    North-east England, UK
    My Galaxy S5 usually "just about" lasts all day. My old iPhones (4S & 5) never got anywhere near. Note also that you can buy spare batteries for the Galaxy S5 quite cheaply.

Sent from my iPad using Mu-43 mobile app

5. Harvey Melvin Richards

Harvey Melvin Richards Photo Posting Junkie

Feb 15, 2014
    Southwest Utah
    If you don't need to call, text, check emails or any of that kind of stuff, put the phone in airplane mode and the battery will last longer.

6. barry13

barry13 Super Moderator; Photon Wrangler

Mar 7, 2014
    Southern California
    Barry
    And make sure the GPS is still on.

7. Harvey Melvin Richards

Harvey Melvin Richards Photo Posting Junkie

Feb 15, 2014
    Southwest Utah
    As long as OI Share is on and the slider is green for Add Geotag, the GPS will function in airplane mode.

• Like Like x 2
  8. Angus Gibbins

Angus Gibbins Mu-43 Regular

Dec 6, 2015
    Brisbane, Australia
    Angus
    On the iPhone, Lower Power Mode works really well too. I can easily get a day of geotagging with Low Power Mode switched on. Typically I only turn Airplane Mode on when I'm somewhere that has really poor mobile reception.

• Informative Informative x 1
  9. Anaxagoras

Anaxagoras New to Mu-43

Jun 13, 2016
    North-east England, UK
    Whilst OI Share is excellent, if battery life proves unacceptable there are alternatives. GPSLogger for Android, for example, will track your location - you specify an interval, GPSLogger switches GPS on, takes a reading, then turns GPS off. It's specifically designed to maximise battery life. The downsides are - you need to import the tracklog to Lightroom (or similar) to tag your photos, it's not as accurate (Lightroom needs to interpolate the positions of some photos and simply switching the GPS on briefly doesn't give as accurate a fix as leaving it on all the time) and it doesn't handle time zone changes as smoothly as OI Share (which automatically adjusts the camera's clock). Overall though, it is a reasonable compromise for long days.

I'd very strongly recommend doing several dummy runs before you go.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  10. Drdul

Drdul Mu-43 Regular

May 16, 2015
    Vancouver, BC
    Richard
    Consider this another vote for an alternative app. I use the iPhone app GPS Tracks for GPS logging, and then after downloading photos to my Mac I geotag them in Lightroom or with HoudahGeo. The advantages of using a dedicated GPS logging app vs. OI Share are better battery life (because you can adjust the accuracy and logging interval) and the ability to save and use the GPS track for other purposes. Also, I turned off the WiFi feature on my E-PL7 because I was constantly hitting the WiFi button on the screen when tapping to set the focus point, and I don't want to have to turn it back on just to geotag my images.

11. Angus Gibbins

Angus Gibbins Mu-43 Regular

Dec 6, 2015
    Brisbane, Australia
    Angus
    Oh, forgot to mention a couple of things as well. If I'm doing a particularly heavy day shooting, I'll either

a) connect my camera to OI.Share every hour or two to geotag the most recent lot of images or
    b) turn the location switch off and back on again to start a new log, when you connect, it'll transfer all new GPS logs in, but I've had it where the apps crashed once or twice while location recording and lost the last 15 minutes or so of the most recent log. It's still a lot better at recovering than the Canon Image Transfer app.

Couple of other things as well:

I use my iPhone as my remote shutter with OI.Share now, but if you do do that, make sure you pack at least two spare camera batteries. The wifi radio chews through the camera's batteries. If you're only transferring GPS logs every hour or two, forget, the hit on the battery for the 30 seconds while wifi's enabled is negligible.
    Sometimes, I'll share something from my iPhone or iPad using OI.Share, it scales the images down when transferring over wifi (I can't remember the exact resolution, it's about half the size of camera's full size jpegs). It's a stop gap for sharing and previewing photos on the road, it's not a replacement for a full image import on your computer.

Oh, and if you swap cards halfway through, don't forget to transfer the GPS log before swapping them out too.

12. 211Oakland

211Oakland Mu-43 Regular

Apr 16, 2014
    I like using OIShare for geotagging, but if I need more control over the GPS aspects I use gps4cam. It's the best iOS geotagging app out there. You can set intervals, and it has a nice shake-to-set a waypoint/route marker when you know you are gonna shoot a bunch of shots at one spot. Saves lotsa juice. And at the end you just bring up a QR code in gps4cam, and take a photo of it. Then use HoudahGeo or gps4cam's desktop application, open up the folder of images, and it finds the QR code and uses that to synch the GPS info. No need to synch camera time or load GPS tracks. It's automagical.

• Informative Informative x 1
  13. PakkyT

PakkyT Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 20, 2015
    New England
    For long term use (say on a vacation), I am still a fan of using a stand alone GPS Data Logger (the little devices that do nothing else but log GPS information). For short term use (an hour walk), Oi.Share seems to do the trick pretty well.

Another thought for longer (say day long) needs, these days you may be on your second, third, etc. smart phone. I do not believe Oi.share required network access to work nor do many other GPS tracking apps. So putting a retired mobile phone back into service as a dedicated GPS logger might be an option so your main phone battery is not being sucked down. And if the spare phone battery gets low, you can always fall back on your main phone, but won't have to depend on it for all day data logging.

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. gpburdell

gpburdell Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 16, 2014
    That is correct. I verified this on a Alaska cruise/land vacation where I was in plenty of places with no cell or wifi access.

What I found worked well was to cycle the logging off/on each morning and each evening. Each evening I'd turn logging off and on again then transfer the logs. Note that you can force a transfer of one or more logs. I needed to do this each evening as I was transferring logs to two cameras, my EM5.2 and EP5. I'd also re-transfer a log on the couple occasions where something hiccuped. One thing I did notice was that transfers took longer later in the trip as the quantity of photos added up (I nearly filled a 64GB card shooting RAW only and very little video)