OI Share and Android - won't connect to wifi

JDeckman

New to Mu-43
Devices: M5 mk2 and M10mk2, LG V30 running Android 8.0, Samsung S8 Active running 9.0.

I've been using the wifi connection with the OI Share app for a couple years - love it and use it frequently. For the past day and a half, the cameras have suddenly decided they don't want to connect to the phone. The wifi starts as usual on the camera, and the phone can 'see' the wifi network generated by the camera. I've tried scanning the QR code and entering the password manually, but the same thing happens: It runs for a while, shows "Connecting..." in the wifi network list, and then shows "Saved". But no matter what I try, it doesn't connect. I've toggled Airplane mode, made sure battery saver was turned off, reset wifi settings on both cameras and network settings on the phone. Rebooted cameras and phones multiple times. I've deleted and reinstalled the OI Share app on my phone, and even tried installing the app my wife's Samsung, no changes. I'm at the end of my rope! Any suggestions? Anyone else having issues? Thanks for the help.

barry

Super Moderator
Hi Samsungs have a setting that controls whether it'll stay on a WiFi that doesn't have internet.
Maybe Network Optimizer or something like that, it's been a few years since I had one.

Bushboy

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
OI share on my iPad won’t download RAW pics, works fine with Jpeg. Just thought I throw that out there...

mattphoto

Mu-43 Regular
I'm having this same issue as OP with My Pixel 6 (Android 14 and my OM1) The android device simply will not connect (manually or automatically) to the OM1's wifi network. It saves, but will not connection no matter what option I try. Did anyone ever get this working? I had it working in Android 12, but tried to reconnect with android 14 and no luck at all. I've been googling and trying everything. I may have to ditch this camera as my work relies on the GPS logging.

PakkyT

Mu-43 Legend
I'm having this same issue as OP with My Pixel 6 (Android 14 and my OM1) The android device simply will not connect (manually or automatically) to the OM1's wifi network.
While not familiar with the Pixel phones specifically, check you setting and see if there is an option to use mobile data whenever your Wi-Fi is "slow or unstable". On my old Samsung it is under Connection -> Wi-Fi and then you pick the Advanced options. Under there is "Switch to mobile data" which is when the Wi-Fi connection doesn't have internet access which of course your camera does not have. Assuming the Pixel has a same sort of option, your phone will always default to mobile data if that is ON and never talk to your camera.

mattphoto

Mu-43 Regular
No option like that I can find. Pixels are pretty basic. I'll keep digging. Maybe there's and adb command that can do it.
So it works with your samsung, eh? Well... this camera is worth me grabbing a samsung just to avoid the frustration I've been having lol.

PakkyT

Mu-43 Legend
I am still using my trusty old Samsung Galaxy S8. Stuck on Android v9 but so far I haven't had any apps start to report they will no longer work on my OS and my battery life is still good so no desire to upgrade yet.

Two settings you might try from a super quick search and so may not have anything to do with this, but try playing around with Adaptive Connectivity and Data Saver. Both are on the same screen. Settings -> Network & Internet. If either are turned ON currently, maybe that could be sort of what I was describing above?

pbp

New to Mu-43
Any luck @mattphoto? I'm having the same issue all of a sudden. Pixel 7 on Android 14. It was working fine two weeks ago with the same settings and now it won't connect at all to my phone. I am able to get it to connect to my iPad though that's not the use case that works for me.
No option like that I can find. Pixels are pretty basic. I'll keep digging. Maybe there's and adb command that can do it.
So it works with your samsung, eh? Well... this camera is worth me grabbing a samsung just to avoid the frustration I've been having lol.

stevedo

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
Steve
Pixel 7 here also. I gave up a long time ago trying to reliably connect to my 1.3. The wifi indicates that the devices are connected but O.I.Share insists that they are not.

shrimpsiumai

New to Mu-43
Pixel 7 here also. I gave up a long time ago trying to reliably connect to y .3. The wifi indicates that the devices are connected but O.I.Share insists that they are not.
Makes me just want to give up on oly om1

Last edited:

stevedo

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
Steve
I don't follow the logic of pixel 7 owners having a problem connecting to their camera blaming the camera instead of the botched update of their phone.
LOL, you obviously have no idea what you're talking about. My Pixel 7, from new, has never successfully connected to my EM1.3. Updates to the OS have neither improved nor made the situation better. Where did I say that an update stopped my phone connecting to my camera?

For reference, my Samsung S10 also had issues connecting to my Olympus cameras. It was a hit and miss affair. Please don't try and blame me. I spent the last 25 years of my career in IT in a technical capacity. I tried many different ways of connecting the phone to the camera, none of them reliable.

mauve

Mu-43 All-Pro
LOL, you obviously have no idea what you're talking about. My Pixel 7, from new, has never successfully connected to my EM1.3. Updates to the OS have neither improved nor made the situation better. Where did I say that an update stopped my phone connecting to my camera?

For reference, my Samsung S10 also had issues connecting to my Olympus cameras. It was a hit and miss affair. Please don't try and blame me. I spent the last 25 years of my career in IT in a technical capacity. I tried many different ways of connecting the phone to the camera, none of them reliable.
Well I've been dealing with computers shenanigans for 40 years, and although I've had some issues with the connection, it's always been on the phone side. And the more expensive the phone, the worse the problems. Take a no-name Chinese phone, and it most likely will work. Why ? Because Google and Samsung are cutting every corner they can think of to save energy while more mundane manufacturers won't "optimize" as much. To add insult to injury, Google and Samsung are unlikely to expose the energy saving parameters to the end user while many Chinese brands can't care less.
We can all agree Olympus built the computing part of the camera on conservative technologies (read : ancient). They expect the counterpart device to honour the standards. Samsung and Google don't, in the most egregious and shrewd manner, in the name of the "user experience". Therein lie your troubles.
M.

Latest threads

Top Bottom