1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Oh.....what to get?

Discussion in 'Panasonic Cameras' started by Darren Bonner, Sep 24, 2013.

1. Darren Bonner

Darren Bonner Mu-43 All-Pro

May 1, 2013
    Poole UK
    I want a new camera body, so far I have used a GF1, 2 & 3 (the Gf2 & 3 are up for sale). I am thinking of getting either the G5 or G6 as they fit into my budget. I tend to shoot anything and everything that catches my eye. The lenses I will be using are the P7-14, P20, Oly 45 and the P100-300. I use Lightroom 4.4 as my computer is driven by MS Vista, I will have to download Adobe Raw Converter for the G6.
    There are some very tempting deals for the G5 or should I bite the bullet and get the G6?
    I have handled both cameras and like how they both feel. The GX7, EM5 and EP5 are out of my price range. The only other camera that has intrigue me is the Olympus EPL-5, though there could be a couple issues regarding the lenses that I use.
    Which would you get and why? taking in consideration what I have mentioned above.

2. Levster

Levster Mu-43 Top Veteran

I owned a G5 before going to an EM-5 and then to a G6. I like the G6 a lot but I don't feel like there is that much of an improvement over the G5. The image quality is broadly the same and is definitely a step down from EM-5, however I much prefer the feel of the G series and the fully articulated LCD screen is really useful. The G6 uses a capacitive touchscreen so is more responsive in that respect. The G5 did feel more premium to me though; the G6 feels as though it's made of really light and brittle plastic. The reason I chose to go for a G6 rather than the G5 again was because of the focus peaking (I have a manual macro lens and also wanted to try focus peaking with video work) and because I could get the G6 with the new 14-140mm lens for £770. I've since sold the 14-140mm for £450 so in effect only paid £320 for the G6.

3. Adubo

Adubo SithLord

Nov 4, 2010
    Globetrotter
    Andrew

ugh... i'd get the G6. just because I like the ergonomics more than the G5 (although the G5 has a pretty good grip too) and the external controls, buttons, dials, are better in the G6 than the G5.

...and did I mention it looks pretty badass delogofied?

4. yakky

yakky Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jul 1, 2013
    There seems to be a mild exodus from the G5, lots of people picked them up when they were $300 and quite a few are showing up in the low $200 range. It's a steal at that price. I'll say the OOC jpegs are nowhere near Oly, but if you shoot raw, who cares. If you like to tinker, upping the i-contrast, shifting white balance a bit, increasing saturation and sharpness will produce some very nice jpegs.

5. dadadude

dadadude Mu-43 Regular

Jun 12, 2013
    San Carlos, CA
    David
    The G5 is a bargain IMO.

6. Levster

Levster Mu-43 Top Veteran

Have you got a photo showing what it looks like de-logofied?

Sent from my HTC One using Mu-43 mobile app

7. Adubo

Adubo SithLord

Nov 4, 2010
    Globetrotter
    Andrew
    lol none. its pure imagination:biggrin:

cause ive been looking to replace my e-pl2 with a G6 or the GH3 (i'm getting the latter) and have always taped/painted the logos off my cameras from my FF days to the Leica to micro four thirds :smile:

8. Darren Bonner

May 1, 2013
    Poole UK
    Thanks for the replies so far, another question: is there a noticeable difference of focusing speeds between the G5 and G6?
    Btw, I would like to see a badass de-logofied G6 too.

9. Warren T.

Warren T. Mu-43 Veteran

Mar 10, 2010
    San Francisco
    IMO, the G5 is getting an undeserved bad reputation, which makes it great for bargain hunters. A G5 in the $200-something range is a real bargain for an excellent mu-43 body.

--Warren

10. dweller

dweller Mu-43 Veteran

Sep 14, 2012
    London, UK
    The g6 might become a bargain once the next g model comes out with gx7 sensor and ibis (hopefully)
    But for now I'd probably get a g5 and use saved money for lenses or hamburgers :)

11. Adubo

Adubo SithLord

Nov 4, 2010
    Globetrotter
    Andrew
    nothing fancy a quick removal of logos on the G6 and it looks pretty badass to me

delogofied g6 by adubo., on Flickr

• Like Like x 2
  12. Darren Bonner

May 1, 2013
    Poole UK
    ^^ That does look good.

13. dogs100

dogs100 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Nov 12, 2011
    N Devon UK
    Geoff
    I don't shoot G's so I am probably not qualified to comment, but delogified makes it look cheap to me ... shall I get my coat :redface:

14. Adubo

Adubo SithLord

Nov 4, 2010
    Globetrotter
    Andrew
    Lol. Aethestics of anything is subjective. What might be good for others may not suit everyone. I like it more without the logos myself, i like black cameras, and other like the silver ones ala x100s or silver omd. Or just logo'd. :smile:

15. drd1135

drd1135 Zen Snapshooter

Mar 17, 2011
    Southwest Virginia
    Steve
    I go back and forth on the appearance of the delogified bodies, but the deciding factor for me is that the pristine one has a wider resale appeal than the modded one, and I sell a lot of my stuff eventually.

16. Darren Bonner

May 1, 2013
    Poole UK
    Athough that picture of it de logofied looks good to me, I wouldn't do it for the same reason. There must be more to it than just looks for me to choose one camera above another, otherwise I would be a Fuji X100 owner.

17. swampduck

swampduck Mu-43 Veteran

Mar 29, 2013
    Taneytown , MD
    Dan
    The G5 is one bad mutha'. I love this camera. If the reports indicate nothing more then a few buttons on the G6 and the same IQ, then I would go with a G5 for mid $200. I bought my first G5 as a kit for $499, sold it regretably, am selling the DSLR, happily, and have purchased another G5 for $250...I am so happy

• Like Like x 1
  18. Darren Bonner

May 1, 2013
    Poole UK
    That's great to hear.

19. yakky

yakky Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jul 1, 2013
    I think that will depend on how many G6s Panny makes. They made a TON of G5s and had to sell them cheap. I'd think they learned their lesson, so unless they start dumping new G6s for $300 with a lens, they won't dip nearly as low as the G5.

• Like Like x 1
  20. Darren Bonner

May 1, 2013
    Poole UK
    Well I've gone and pulled the the trigger on a used G5 that was going for a very good price. Just got to wait for it to be delivered. If all is well, it will be an upgrade on what I've got.

• Like Like x 2