Oh sh*t my OM-D died too

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by Jeff L, Sep 13, 2012.

1. Jeff L

Jeff L New to Mu-43

Sep 13, 2012
    East Schodack, NY
    After numerous glitches and lockups-most solved by removing the battery then re-installing- the camera has finally had a serious nervous breakdown. Switched lenses to the 20 MM and the camera locked. Switched back to the 12-35 normally on the camera and it remained locked up. EVF is black but the info icons are displayed. Shutter will not fire. In shutter priority the shutter speeds are displayed but the aperture is a blinking "-.-" symbol. If I remove the lens the EVF lights up with an out of focus but bright display and the shutter fires. This is the second time for this and the first time it cured itself after simply sitting overnight. Not this time. Any thoughts? Is there some menu I am missing about indexing to lenses?

2. dhazeghi

dhazeghi Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 6, 2010
    San Jose, CA
    Dara
    If it's a standard lockup, removing the battery and reinserting ought to fix it. This sounds like something more serious. Did the camera lock up after going to sleep? Have you tried shooting a full manual lens, or an Olympus one?

DH

3. Jeff L

Jeff L New to Mu-43

Sep 13, 2012
    East Schodack, NY
    Back from repairs.

Sent the 14th, returned the 27th. Repaired under warranty. "Replaced front cover contact frame unit, adjustment, firmware update, clean and check all." Less than 2 weeks out and back-not bad at all. What was not good was the way the camera was packed for shipping back to me. Placed in a box with some bubble wrap on top- nothing under it -and that box in another slightly bigger box with no padding at all. Two pieces of cardboard and no padding between the back of the camera and the heavy hands of UPS. I am amazed it survived intact.

4. nueces snapper

nueces snapper Mu-43 All-Pro

I'm curious to know if anyone who never uses pany lenses has had a lockup on the EM5. :rolleyes:

5. HarryS

HarryS Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 23, 2012
    Midwest, USA
    My EM5 has never locked up with the Panasonic 14mm or 20mm, but a week ago, it did get stuck in live view mode with unresponsive buttons using a kit 14-42, requiring a battery pull. Shortly after that, the battery (non OEM) was fully discharged, so maybe it was a power issue.

• Like Like x 1
  6. tubedriver

tubedriver Mu-43 Regular

Mar 30, 2012
    Perth, Western Australia
    Shaun
    Only use Oly lenses and very occassionally some manual Canon FD lenses. Never had a lock up.

7. Promit

Promit Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 6, 2011
    Baltimore, MD
    Promit Roy
    I've seen a lockup on the 12-50.

8. kevwilfoto

kevwilfoto Mu-43 Veteran

Sep 23, 2011
    Colorado
    I wasn't worried before ... I am now.

I have the 1.2 firmware, applied when it first came out with no troubles at all, I wonder if that will help or be a problem ... hope 1.3 firmware comes out soon to fix all this.