1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Oh nooooo another adapter to order !!

Discussion in 'Adapted Lenses' started by Minniesmum, Mar 5, 2012.

1. Minniesmum

Minniesmum Mu-43 Veteran

Mar 2, 2012
    UK
    I'm determined just now not to buy any lenses, but use the ones I already have.....looking through my older gear last night found a Nikkor 50mm f1.8 D AF lens which I'd used on my F80 and D70.......the adapter from Roxsen on EBay is only a tenner......this lens is too good to waste...!

• Like Like x 2
  2. skadoosh

skadoosh Mu-43 Rookie

Apr 19, 2012
    Northern Virginia
    I quote the great philosopher Nike (1988): "Just do it." and let us know how it turns out

• Like Like x 1
  3. Bhupinder2002

Bhupinder2002 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Hi Cath
    Either u can make a crown for urself with all those adaptors and let ur head adapt to it ..or make a garland ..lol
    Anyway Cath Enjoy the beauty of MFT as availability of so many lenses available . Its total fun
    :rofl::rofl::rofl:

4. shnitz

shnitz Mu-43 Top Veteran

Aug 25, 2011
    Austin, TX
    Didn't you just buy a slew of 50mm's? You're going to gain absolutely nothing by adding this one to the mix. It's sharp enough in the middle, but the bokeh sucks. I have this lens, and it almost never sees the light of day on my D200, or my 2002 for that matter. Make a quick excel spreadsheet tabulating what you spend on each piece of your m4/3 gear. Have a defibrillator handy. These bits and pieces can add up to an actual substantial upgrade, like a wireless flash (FL-50R or FL-600R, yum) or a lens that gives you something that you don't already have, like the 9-18mm, one of the great primes, a Voigtlander ultrafast lens, a macro lens if you don't already have one, etc.

What is that now, a Nikon 50mm f/1.8, Olympus 50mm f/1.4, Canon 50mm f/1.8, and Canon 50mm f/1.4, at least? If you don't use your D70 or F80 any more, sell them. That's even more money back in the pocket.

5. Minniesmum

Minniesmum Mu-43 Veteran

Mar 2, 2012
    UK
    I've only bought two ( old ) lens since getting my E-PL1. The others came with second-hand cam bodies that I have bought over the years- which I still use. Oh and I was given the Canon 50mm 1.8.The D70 for IR and the F80 is my cam of choice for 35mm.
    The Nikon 50mm f1.8 has been swapped for a Nikkor Micro 55mm.
    So there you go- total investetment of £ 40. plus 2 adapters.
    And the enjoyment I'm getting out of tinkering with these old lenses is......priceless.

• Like Like x 4
  6. Minniesmum

Minniesmum Mu-43 Veteran

Mar 2, 2012
    UK
    btw waiting for another adapter to enable me to use my Minolta 50mm f1.8 and 1.4 ;)

• Like Like x 1
  7. Minniesmum

Minniesmum Mu-43 Veteran

Mar 2, 2012
    UK
    in fact your post has prompted me to look for yet another 50mm prime :)

8. shnitz

shnitz Mu-43 Top Veteran

Aug 25, 2011
    Austin, TX
    It's no skin off my back; your 50mm collection has no bearing on me whatsoever. I'm still going to eat well tonight, and my bed will be just as comfortable. I just thought I'd point out that collecting them like they were Pokemon cards isn't a very useful endeavor, especially as the main purpose for them is to save money over native lenses and/or to gain something that you couldn't already achieve with your kit. Owning 5-10 copies of the same-intent product does neither.

But hey, it's fun to watch. A&E, an American network, even has a fairly popular show about it.

9. Minniesmum

Minniesmum Mu-43 Veteran

Mar 2, 2012
    UK
    I enjoy using all my manual focus lenses. These are the only reason I got into micro four thirds. If my 50 mm" collection" has no bearing on you, then I'm not really sure why you are commenting . I'd appreciate it if you would stop making derogatory remarks . You don't know anything about me or my reasons for having any of the kit that I do.

• Like Like x 1
  10. LVL8hacker

LVL8hacker Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 4, 2012
    Pinehurst, North Carolina
    Larry Anderson
    I own 12 50mm legacy lenses. I LOVE EVERY ONE OF THEM :)

• Like Like x 4
  11. Minniesmum

Minniesmum Mu-43 Veteran

Mar 2, 2012
    UK
    Thank you !

12. elle s'ennuie

elle s'ennuie Mu-43 Regular

Feb 8, 2012
    Europe
    I own none, but I fully support your right to! :biggrin:

• Like Like x 3
  13. Bhupinder2002

Yes Cath .ur happiness is worth Billions of dollars ...:smile::smile::smile:
    :happy-084::happy-084:

• Like Like x 1
  14. Bhupinder2002

lol...I like that ..
    :bravo-009::bravo-009::bravo-009::bravo-009::bravo-009::bravo-009::bravo-009::bravo-009::bravo-009::bravo-009::bravo-009:

• Like Like x 1
  15. Bhupinder2002

:bravo-009::bravo-009::bravo-009::bravo-009::bravo-009::bravo-009::bravo-009::bravo-009:

• Like Like x 1
  16. slith

slith Mu-43 Regular

Apr 4, 2012
    Dublin, Ireland
    Alfonso
    I take guitar lessons every week, my teacher has several guitars. I would never even remotely dare telling him, 'you are not using those guitars, they all sound more or less the same, sell them, cash in your pocket'. Even though I've never, ever seen him playing any of those other guitars.

I think each individual takes on hobbies (passions/jobs) differently, some want a finished product, some want to learn, some want to experiment with the tools and techniques... and I am sure I'm leaving things out. It is near impossible to do just one of those, but if you happen to like one more than the other, try to be constructive with those who don't share your preference.

Try to adopt their point of view and enjoyment instead of being dismissive and even rude, you might actually discover something new yourself.

• Like Like x 4
  17. Bhupinder2002

Very nicely said.Thanks u so much .I appreciate such answers and some of us have no understanding of human aspect of photography .This is not all about gear or lenses .Its about fun and enjoyment . I understand Cath's point of view.I would love to get some legacy lenses and have fun with them .
    Cheers

• Like Like x 2
  18. Bhupinder2002

Oh la la ...12 ???:2thumbs::2thumbs::2thumbs:
    I am thinking of picking up one or two to have fun.
    Cheers
    Bhupinder

• Like Like x 1
  19. applemint

applemint Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 24, 2012
    Agreed - I also have a collection of legacy lenses - mainly 50mm (see sig) and I am having a lot of fun with them. Sure the results from them may be similar, but they are not identical, each lenses focuses differently and renders differently.

For example I have a Minolta 50mm f1.7 and a Minolta 50mm f2.0 - but the Minolta f2.0 is much easier to focus than the 1.7 for some reason (it just snaps into focus whereas the 1.7 you need to be quite precise). The 2.0 is great for video and when you want to be able to focus quickly and the 1.7 is sharper so good for photos where I want sharpness to be a priority (the Minolta colours are nice too).

I also have a Yashica 50mm 2.0 and a Yashica 50mm f1.9 - I loved the 2.0 and was curious as to what the 1.9 was like in comparison, so when I saw one on ebay with no bids I snapped it up for £10. The 1.9 is probably sharper, so I have been using it with a Raynox for macro, whereas the 2.0 has nicer colour rendition (albeit a subtle difference) so I have been using that as a general lens.

It's fun to be able to select from half a dozen 50mm lenses when I go out to take photos - "which one/s shall I use today?" - if I had only one then there would no choice at all and where is the fun in that? :wink:

The lenses cost me an average of £15 each including postage and if/when I get bored with them or don't like them I can simply resell them for what I paid for them - so my fun comes for 'free'. :smile: An Olympus 45mm f1.8 costs around £250 here in the UK - that's the price of a dozen or more legacy 50mm lenses and adapters.

If people are enjoying their photography then that is the main thing surely - it's their money and their choice as to what they spend it on.

• Like Like x 3
  20. Crdome

Crdome Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Sep 11, 2011
    West Central Indiana
    Chrome
    Shnitz, well stated, especially the defibrillator. Last night as I viewed my plethora of lenses I came to this same realization of redundancy. Many remain unused since acquired over decades.

I plan to implement your spreadsheet suggestion to reference every time I see that special piece of equipment I can('t) do without.

Thanks for your reaffirmation.