Oh No!

scantron

Mu-43 Regular
So I dropped my beloved E-PL1 today from about 4 feet up and onto a hard wood floor. Now when I turn it on, it makes a tiny grinding noise. Also, in the on-screen shooting info, "IS" is always flashing in red, and the IS doesn't work regardless of the settings.

Basic shooting functions appear to be working otherwise so far, but I haven't had a chance to try out everything yet to see what other damage the fall did.

I'm an art student (you got it - I'm broke!), and I use this camera every day for photography, shooting my paintings & drawings, filming video with legacy glass, etc.

Is there hope for this magically fixing itself? ;-)

SamoyedPapa

Mu-43 Top Veteran
If you used a credit card to buy your lens, see if your CC issuer automatically provides an extended warranty on all your purchases. I almost exclusively use an Amex card, and that's one of the perks that they promote, though I've yet to take advantage of it.

scantron

Mu-43 Regular
Unfortunately I bought this camera when it first came out, so it's long out of warranty. The problem is in the body, it's the same no matter which lens I use.

stratokaster

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
Pavel
This is one of many disadvantages of IBIS - it makes cameras more fragile.

Unfortunately, your camera will probably not fix itself :(

dabbler

Mu-43 Regular
Are you in the EU? If you bought it in the EU then the legal warranty is at least two years, covered by the shop you bought it from. If not it might be worth investigating your national consumer protection laws anyway. Just because a company offers a one year warranty doesn't mean it's not legally obliged to cover more...

GaryAyala

Mu-43 Legend
Unfortunately I doubt if most manufacturer's warranties cover damage caused by the operator. Dude, you better sell some paintings, quick. There are many private camera repair shops who do excellant work at about half the price of manufacturer owned repair facility. Google will be your best friend now and look for ratings, reviews and comments.

Where are you located, maybe some members can provide repair shop recommendations.

Gary

PS- Stratokaster is correct.
G

scantron

Mu-43 Regular
Well, I don't have high hopes for any warranty claim, which is fine. I can't imagine that it would be cost effective bring this camera in for repair, either, since they're less than $300 new now. Its looking like I'll have to either shoot without IBIS or get a new body.

I'm a little disappointed by how fragile it was, are the ep2/3 any tougher? Ep2's are a good deal nowadays, if I stick with Mu43.

GaryAyala

Mu-43 Legend
Who wants to buy some paintings? :)

LOL ... whatcha' got? You do commission work? At least get an estimate ... it may be a simple repair performed with a butter knife.

If the only damage is the IBIS ... then an easy repair is a tripod (seriously).

Craig's List is a good place to start looking for a replacement and to dump your broken camera.

G

scantron

Mu-43 Regular
LOL ... whatcha' got? You do commission work? At least get an estimate ... it may be a simple repair performed with a butter knife.

If the only damage is the IBIS ... then an easy repair is a tripod (seriously).

Craig's List is a good place to start looking for a replacement and to dump your broken camera.

G

In fact, I do commissions! :smile:

So far it does look like the only damage is the IBIS, luckily I do have a (rather horrible) tripod, but half the fun was the IBIS and legacy glass. I'm sure there's at least a dozen good camera shops in town. This camera is probably worth less than $100 w/broken IS.

I wonder if I could fix it myself? Sounds like a recipe for trouble, but I am a handy guy....

GaryAyala

Mu-43 Legend
In fact, I do commissions! :smile:

So far it does look like the only damage is the IBIS, luckily I do have a (rather horrible) tripod, but half the fun was the IBIS and legacy glass. I'm sure there's at least a dozen good camera shops in town. This camera is probably worth less than $100 w/broken IS.

I wonder if I could fix it myself? Sounds like a recipe for trouble, but I am a handy guy....

Remember that a butter knife is a universal tool ... (after you have demonstrated your handiness ... give the repair shops a call ... maybe there is a Chilton's or Haynes for Oly ... oh hell just utube IBIS repair, something will come up ...)

G

RobWatson

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
My first E-P1 IS was broken and I didn't even notice for quite a while ... I shoot lots of legacy glass. IBIS is a luxury that is not really needed so I would not worry about it.

When I get paranoid or shaky I use panny lenses with OIS.

Magically the IBIS started working for about a week but then stopped again. Fickle it is. I tried to 'butter knife' it but no progress (nor worse).

scantron

Mu-43 Regular
I followed the instructions in the video above and it's fixed! ;-)

I do rely on the IBIS, more often that I'd like to admit, but more so "IS" flashes in red on-screen the entire time the camera is on. Kind of annoying!

scantron

Mu-43 Regular
So the beak fixing video really did work - my camera fixed itself! I turned it on and it make a "thunk", must have been the IS popping back into place or something. Hooray!
Thanks for your help in my E-PL1's time of need. I'm still available for commission work. :)

Latest threads

Top Bottom