1. Welcome to Mu-43.com—a friendly Micro 4/3 camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

Oh no! Another beginner looking for feedback!

Discussion in 'Creative Corner' started by Gusnyc, Mar 15, 2010.

1. Gusnyc

Gusnyc Mu-43 Veteran Subscribing Member

Mar 9, 2010
    New York
    Hi Everybody,

First of all, thanks for looking into this post.

I just started with the 4/3, but I've been enjoying taking pictures for a while now. It has been so far a private affair. I just shared some photos with friends and family (the easy audience).

I just finished publishing my first album on Flickr, and I would appreciate your point of view about... well... my point of view taking pictures.

I am a Graphic Designer, so I get enthusiastic about the framing and composition in a picture. I like to play with shadows and the background. I really don't have a lot of technical knowledge so please don't be too harsh on that aspect of the pictures, but I would appreciate your suggestions to improve my shots. That's why I joined this group. I want to learn more every day. So far, it has been a blast interacting with such a great group of 4/3 enthusiasts and professionals.

Your comments will be welcomed.

www.flickr.com/photos/gus_nyc

Thanks!

Gustavo
    P.S. By the way, I added titles to the pictures because I read that a tittle helps to explain an intention or contextualize a picture, that's it. I thought it was a good idea.

2. Streetshooter

Streetshooter Administrator Emeritus

Dec 15, 2009
    Phila, Pa USA
    Gus,
    I checked out your images. I think your worrying about anything is unwarranted.
    It's very obvious that you have a good sense of design and composition. All the right elements are present, tension, juxtaposition, emotion etc.
    I would just get on with it as your off to a wonderful start.
    You seem to have a good grasp on the camera and processing so it would help others to respond if you explained in more detail about what your concerns are.
    It would be hard to just see what's troubling you as the images are very nice.
    shooter

• Like Like x 1
  3. trisberg

trisberg Mu-43 Regular

Apr 14, 2009
    Gustavo,

I agree with Streetshooter that you have some very nice photos here. Especially like the "Middle" shot from Thailand and the last "Sacre Coeur" shot.

The only thing I would suggest is grouping pictures with some common theme. Maybe architecture, flowers, certain color, B&W or whatever themes you come up with. I think it helps the flow of looking at a group of photos if they are somehow related.

-Thomas

• Like Like x 1
  4. noodlehaus

noodlehaus Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 14, 2010
    Added you as a contact, want to follow your photos on flickr. You're photos are really great -- colors, composition and subject.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Gusnyc

Mar 9, 2010
    New York
    Hi Streetshoter and Thomas, thanks for your comments and words of encouragement. I think I feel a little intimidated reading all the posts. Most people here are so talented and the post can get really technical. I am still learning the ropes about this.

It is weird feeling to "publish" something that represents me. I am used to create things for clients, but you have no idea how self conscious I felt choosing the pictures for Flickr. Maybe because this is the first time doing it.

As a designer, I think I can manage the overall composition in the frame. I know what catches my attention and how I would to display it. On the other hand, I think I rely to much on post-processing. I usually have to adjust contrast and/or exposure to accomplish my original idea. Shouldn't I get the picture right from the camera?

There is one area that I would like to explore in the future and it is picture of people. As you can see, I barely have one kind of a portrait in that group. Maybe I need to get more confident with the static subjects before I jump into a whole new category.

Thomas, about the grouping, I agree. I just put images from trips together, but I can see how they are all over the place (no pun intended). I will try to divide the sets into groups that makes more sense.

Thank you again for your feedback.

Gus

6. trisberg

trisberg Mu-43 Regular

Apr 14, 2009
    I don't think so. I always end up tweaking things. If the camera did all the work, then where is the challenge? Maybe if you used filters and did control all the lighting of the scene, but I don't like to work that way. So I end up fixing things in post processing.

-Thomas

7. BBW

BBW Super Moderator Emeritus

I have one and only one constructive bit of criticism - pay for a "pro" account on flickr so we can all see your photographs in larger sizes - please?:biggrin:

Gus, you certainly seem to know what the heck your doing to me...but I have to see them bigger. In addition, for posting within threads here it will be a huge help for you to fork over the nominal amount for one of those accounts..and then you can set up a personal gallery here for certain shots, in particular.

Read that last two stickies in the Housekeeping forum for details.:wink:

These look really good to me and I'd like to see them up close and personal.:thumbup:

• Like Like x 1
  8. Gusnyc

Mar 9, 2010
    New York
    Hi BBW and Noodlehaus!

Noodlehaus: Thanks for your comments and for adding me as a contact. Your words are very encouraging.

BBW: I just did what you suggested. I have a "pro" account. I hope you will have access to bigger versions of the pictures.

Thanks for your comments. I lust didn't understand the part where you say "In addition, for posting within threads here it will be a huge help for you to fork over the nominal amount for one of those accounts". Could you please explain what do you mean by that?

Thank you very much!

Gus

9. BBW

BBW Super Moderator Emeritus

Gus, I probably shouldn't have written it quite that way... We have a good amount of gallery space and you can read more about it in the Housekeeping forum...those last two stickies at the top explain it much more succinctly than I can.:redface::smile:

Later on, I'll be sure to go back to your Flickr account!:thumbup:

10. Christilou

Christilou Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 25, 2010
    Camberley, Surrey
    What lovely photos. I will be bookmarking them too!. I particularly like the "Curves" from Italy. I so wish I had your eye, its the most important skill. Nothing constructive to offer I'm afraid as I am only an unskilled hobbyist. Looking forward to more of your images. Thanks for posting.

• Like Like x 1
  11. Pelao

Pelao Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 3, 2010
    Ontario, Canada
    Gustavo

My first comment - stop yakking and questioning yourself and keep shooting. :smile:

Your photos are a real pleasure.

Your design gifts and training are rubbing up against the photography experience. Normal enough. I would say that getting composition and exposure as right as possible in camera is always a great starting point. The core disciplines of photography have not gone away with the advent of digital.

At the same time, PP offers opportunities that were either tedious or non-existent in film days. You are fortunate to have strong PP skills. Use and enjoy!

• Like Like x 1
  12. Brian Mosley

Brian Mosley Administrator Emeritus

Dec 15, 2009
    Great portfolio you have there already Gustavo... it would be great if you would consider joining us in the PAD project, I would love to see your work evolve through a daily posting of just one image. :smile:

Cheers

Brian

• Like Like x 1
  13. Gusnyc

Mar 9, 2010
    New York
    Christilou, Pelao and Brian, thank you very much. I feel really flattered. I will join the PAD project as soon as I get a grip of the new camera. So many new things at the same time. I jumped from iPhoto to Aperture 3 and from the FZ-50 (and iPhone sometimes) to the E-PL1. Every time I take I picture I am not sure what is going to happen.

It is funny how my working with professional photographers at work made me feel really, really "out of place" in the medium. I don't really want to compete for prizes or praise, but I see that I can enjoy sharing mi aesthetics and point of view through a picture. I feel this group of people at U4/3 is the right one to do so.

Thanks again,

Gus

• Like Like x 2
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.