oh man... what to do!! OMD-1 one day sale!

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by pondball, Aug 15, 2016.

  1. pondball

    pondball Mu-43 All-Pro

    Just got this in from the OLY.ca site... $300 off the OMD-1... 15 hours left... and $200 off a Pro lens... I have patiently been waiting for over a year for the OMD-1 Mark ii and knew they would be putting the OMD-1 on sale prior to the Mii release... but seeing this finally dip below the $1k mark for the first time in over a year here in Canada is sooooooo tempting...

    What to do, what to do... ok... more to the point... what would you do?

    OM-D E-M1 | Olympus
  2. GarethB

    GarethB Mu-43 Regular

    Jul 21, 2016
    At that price, I'd buy.
    I had been looking at the Pen-F for a while, and the price here has been £999 for body only, and £1199 with the 17mm f1.8 since launch.
    On Amazon Prime Day they had the Pen-F with the 17mm for £960 (the body alone was still £999 at the same time!) which I spotted it with less than 2 hours to go. I deliberated it until the offer had almost gone, then took the plunge. I got a £999 body with a £350 lens for less than price of the body alone, and I have not regretted it for a second.
  3. NoSeconds

    NoSeconds Mu-43 Hall of Famer Subscribing Member

    Buy the EM1 now and by the time you've worn it out or you're sick of it, the EM1mk2 will be at an acceptable price... :thumbup: :biggrin:
  4. budeny

    budeny Mu-43 All-Pro

    Mar 4, 2014
    Boulder, CO
    Wait for 20%-25% off the refurbished deal and add 2 year warranty to it =~ $660-$700 for EM1
    That was 6 months ago, future deals may to be better.
  5. pdk42

    pdk42 One of the "Eh?" team

    Jan 11, 2013
    Leamington Spa, UK
    It'll go cheaper once the the mark ii is out. But how long will you need to wait...?
  6. pondball

    pondball Mu-43 All-Pro

    I've waited for over a year now and can wait longer... my present camera is a very useful D700... but my transition to m4/3 is due to travel plans (and expense of quality glass in the FF format)... mostly travel though. I have been intrigued with the conversation here at mu-43.com and while our next trip isn't until next August I want to make sure that I am comfortable with the workings of my new gear before going... I can certainly wait until the Mii comes out... as I'm also looking at a pocket travel companion unit as well... for the times when using Mii isn't practical
  7. ionian

    ionian Mu-43 All-Pro

    May 20, 2016
    Kent, UK
    No discount on the EU site, which is probably a good job as I see an EM-1 in my future but need to give it a rest (or be seen to sell some gear) before I'll get away with it at home.

    I did have a look and it looks like I can pick up a grey import em-1 for £450 these days, and the 12-40 2.8 for £365 second hand. So that's getting on to be the deal I'll go with unless prices drop significantly elsewhere, but I doubt that will be beatable in the uk any time soon.
  8. Growltiger

    Growltiger Mu-43 All-Pro

    Mar 26, 2014
    Yes, do it. And the 12-40 lens is superb.
  9. Sniksekk

    Sniksekk Mu-43 Veteran Subscribing Member

    Apr 7, 2015
    It's not that cheap IMO.
    Earlier this summer I bought EM1 and 12-40 bundle priced 1200 $.
    I sold the 12-40 and got 600$ for it.

    So to you who love this flashsale.
    Try to find that bundle, check local price and try to find someone wanting 12-40.
    It might be cheaper.
  10. Rambling Sam

    Rambling Sam Mu-43 Regular

    May 27, 2016
    Reading, Berkshire, UK
    Is the E-M1 Mk2 likely to be that much 'better' than the current model? By that, I mean will the sensor be 10-15% more populated than the Pen F, or are we going to see less than that, but more 'bells and whistles' functionality in the menu system? I'm admittedly one of those people who prefers to get significant advances on each new model as it comes out, rather than small, regular incremental ones, which one could ague, have occurred (because I'm a cynic!) shareholders and investors love the idea of a 'new' model/product increasing sales and therefore a better return on their investment.
  11. pondball

    pondball Mu-43 All-Pro

    I really don't have anything to compare it against in the m4/3 segment... but I do know it will be smaller, lighter and more travel friendly than my Nikon D700! If I already owned a E-M1 I probably wouldn't be as excited about the Mk2... however I was hesitant to buy into a camera that was essentially 3 years old when the new one is a scant 4 - 5 weeks away. When all the cards were laid on the table I think I showed considerable restraint in not jumping at the M1. If I had required something right away I might have been interested in getting the newer Pen-F, notwithstanding its higher price tag.... except one of my needs is weather sealed and I understand the Pen-F does not offer that.
  12. Carbonman

    Carbonman Mu-43 All-Pro Subscribing Member

    Jul 10, 2014
    Vancouver BC
    The E-M1 will be on sale again, eventually at an even better price. Patience is a virtue...
    • Like Like x 1
  13. Johnny The Greek

    Johnny The Greek Mu-43 Veteran

    Aug 19, 2015
    I'm in a similar bind. I don't want to spend $1400 on the new version when I know that price will drop exponentially over the following months. I'm still working around my current E-M10 and learning how to master it, and by the time I know the ins and outs of it all, I'll be ready for an upgrade. GAS is a big thing but I can't justify it just yet.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.