Oh I dropped my E-PL3

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by Tom_Chan, Aug 21, 2013.

1. Tom_Chan

Tom_Chan Mu-43 Regular

Aug 19, 2013
    It's embarrassing to have my second post on this forum being this one. My two months old E-PL3 was in my (unpadded) backpack when I drop it (2 or 3 feet). After that it turns on with a buzzing noise for 1 second and that's worrying. I took off the lens and saw that the sensor rotated by a few degrees. It still takes pictures but the IS icon on the top right hand corner is now orange instead of white, and I assume that means IS system is affected.

I'm wondering how much would it cost to fix it, and if someone is in the bay area can recommend me a camera shop that would do it. Olympus website is quoting me $125 but I'm not sure if a dropped camera is something they would fix. Thanks for reading the post.

2. verbatimium

verbatimium Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 17, 2013
    Toronto, Ontario
    Martin
  3. Tom_Chan

Tom_Chan Mu-43 Regular

Aug 19, 2013
    Yeah, I figured that is the case so I just tried to pry it open and see what's inside. I put in a wedge to sort of correct the position of the sensor, but the buzzing noise is still there. I'll save up and upgrade.

Some pics of how (not) to open it up: https://picasaweb.google.com/117917890955275282240/PryOpenEPL3

P.S. Local camera shop said they can send it in for inspection for $25 (instead of $125) but their estimate from what I described was upwards of $250.

4. Tom_Chan

Tom_Chan Mu-43 Regular

Aug 19, 2013
    Oh and as iHadJelloToday pointed out, neweggflash has the whole set new for $225...

5. drd1135

drd1135 Zen Snapshooter

Mar 17, 2011
    Southwest Virginia
    Steve
    We appreciate the inside view. Sorry it comes at your expense. Cameta camera has refurb e-pm1 body for only $119. No epl3 right now, however.