Oh dear...

T N Args

Agent Photocateur
Real Name
call me Arg
A few small issues there

The notion the author puts out there, that 'MILC' cameras are different to MFT cameras, is frankly bizarre.

I mean, Panasonic even calls their MFT cameras DSLM. Digital Single Lens Mirrorless. As in MILC.

And DPR calls the Nikon 1 system "their mirrorless interchangeable lens camera system". Err, that's MILC. So why is MFT separate from MILC if mirrorless cameras larger and smaller are all called MILC?

The guy is inventing his own language, using terms that are already widely understood to mean something different.

Then he finishes us off by referring to the Sony A7 as a DSLR.

Oh wait, he's not finished. He explains that an optical viewfinder differs from mirrorless because "what you see is actually what the camera sees through the lens". Err, no, mate, that's what a mirrorless viewfinder shows you. An optical viewfinder only shows you most of what hits the focusing screen after reflecting off the mirror, and is usually neither complete nor correctly indicating focus.

I love this, too: "The biggest advantage of DSLR/MILC systems is the staggering variety of lenses that are available for purchase and rent. ". Remember, he is excluding MFT from that comment, as he must see MFT as disadvantaged by its lens options. But he is including Sony NEX, Canon EOS M, Fuji.....

Ah well. Maybe pro is another word for con, and con means pro? I'm not sure any more.

dweller

Mu-43 Veteran
That is one of the worst written dumbed down pieces of advice on what camera to buy I've read in ages and it is being promoted all over flickr. Oh well, just have to let it go. Deep breath. Ommmm

OzRay

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Ray, not Oz

MarkRyan

Instagram: @MRSallee
I don't mind that he's positioned DSLR and "mirrorless" as an upgrade from Micro 4/3. But this seems surprisingly uneducated.

"Many DSLR and mirrorless cameras have microphone input, unlike M43." It's about the same situation either way -- some DSLR do, some don't, some M43 do, some don't.

"DSLR has higher max shutter speed." Again, same situation either way. A lot of DSLRs max at 1/4000 just like a lot of M43 cameras, and some of each go to 1/8000. (GM1 goes to 1/16000, not sure any DSLR does that.)

As was mentioned, differentiating Micro 4/3 from mirrorless is strange. And writing to M43 users to introduce DSLR and mirrorless is strange, as if M43 isn't already the most obscure format. (Canon, Nikon, Sony are more well-known for cameras than Olympus and Panasonic.)

Pretty bizarre article.

GBarrington

Mu-43 All-Pro
That is one of the worst written dumbed down pieces of advice on what camera to buy I've read in ages and it is being promoted all over flickr. Oh well, just have to let it go. Deep breath. Ommmm

Just one more reason to be glad I terminated my Flickr account last Saturday!

Aniseedvan

Mu-43 Regular

Quite; it's not like this was buried somewhere...

Latest threads

Top Bottom