1. Reminder: Please user our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

Oh APS, where did my detail go?

Discussion in 'Open Discussion' started by nickthetasmaniac, Nov 1, 2011.

1. nickthetasmaniac

nickthetasmaniac Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 11, 2011
    DPR now has the 20mp Samsung NX200 jpeg samples available (no ACR RAW support yet...). When compared to the 24mp A77, and 16mp G3/GH2, I've got to ask - have the APS manufacturers pushed too far?

I'm puzzled to be honest, with the release of the 16mp APS sensor Sony seemed to have made massive jumps in performance, and APS was pushing very close to the previous generation of full-frame chips. Now... :confused:

Studio shot comparison: Digital Photography Review

2. krugorg

krugorg Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jul 18, 2011
    Minnesota USA
    That is crazy! So, they are using a beta Camera Raw? I guess there could be some optimizations/corrections coming down the line there, but it really does look like they are losing a ton of detail. Even at ISO 1600, my E-P3 is looking pretty sporty by comparison.

3. nickthetasmaniac

nickthetasmaniac Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 11, 2011
    No these are just jpegs. RAW samples won't be released until ACR offers full support (DPReview got hammered for using beta-ACR for the A77...)

4. krugorg

krugorg Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jul 18, 2011
    Minnesota USA
    Yeah, just caught that also when going back for a second, more careful read. I do remember that NX100 OoC JPEGs were horrid and I don't think you can disable noise reduction. So, probably more of an issue with tons-of-noise at higher ISO?

5. ~tc~

~tc~ Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Oct 22, 2010
    Houston, TX
    With the emphasis on low noise high ISO, I think both Sony and Samsung have dialed up the NR to eliminate any chance of blotchiness - obviously at the expense of detail.

6. Djarum

Djarum Super Moderator

Dec 15, 2009
    Huntsville, AL, USA
    Jason
    1. How strong is the AA filter on the samsung?
    2. How sharp is the lens being used?
    3. It appears NR is obliterating some detail at base ISO.

7. meyerweb

meyerweb Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Sep 5, 2011
    My opinion, but 20 and 24 MP on an APS sensor at this stage of the technology is just silly. But many customers still equate MP with quality, and are totally unaware of factors like DR and noise, so manufacturers will continue to push the limit of what's reasonable.