1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

Officially a m4/3 user now

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by kicsrepins, Dec 15, 2011.

1. kicsrepins

kicsrepins Mu-43 Regular

Oct 17, 2011
    I have finally got my e-pl2 and had a little walk around today, I'm very pleased :2thumbs:

I found myself enjoying taking pics more than when I had my 550D, I love how discreet it is. I just wear it under one arm and just unzip my jacket when I want to take a photo :biggrin:

I also love the fact that I can carry an extra lens and battery all in my pockets .

2. timothysoong

timothysoong Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 10, 2011
    Taipei, Taiwan
    Yay! another m4/3 user!

3. crsnydertx

crsnydertx Mu-43 Top Veteran

Dec 31, 2010
    Houston, TX
    Chuck
    Congratulations! The E-PL2 is my all-around "grab 'n go" favorite right now, even though I have the E-P3 and some Pannys. It's just the right size, as you've found. Don't forget to activate the Suoer Control Panel to give you very fast access to your key settings!

4. kicsrepins

kicsrepins Mu-43 Regular

Oct 17, 2011
    Thanks guys :2thumbs:

I'm still learning all the controls, my manual is in Japanese lol.

crsnydertx How do I adjust the ISO in manual mode? and where is this Super Control Panel?

I currently have the Panny 20mm and the Oly 45mm :smile:

5. crsnydertx

crsnydertx Mu-43 Top Veteran

Dec 31, 2010
    Houston, TX
    Chuck
    Here's a link to Oly directions for turning on SCP:

E-PL2 &gt Frequently Asked Questions

6. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    You've got those questions backwards. First turn on SCP, then finding ISO will be easier. ;)

Go the Wrench Menu and turn on "Menu Display". That will show you the menu with the sprockets. Go into Sprockets => Display => Control Settings => then for each individual mode (P/A/S/M, iAuto, Art, and Scene) turn Live Control Off, and turn SCP On.

After you exit that, when you hit the OK button it will bring up the Super Control Panel. Everything you need will be right there under your fingertips. If you're in Art or Scene mode, when you hit OK another menu will come up but if you hit INFO it'll cycle to the SCP. If you go to RC mode then hitting OK will bring up the Remote Control menu but hitting INFO again will cycle back to SCP.

Another way you can access ISO is to dedicate a button to it. Originally ISO used to be dedicated to the bottom rocker button and WB used to be dedicated to the right rocker button. I have no idea why Olympus changed these placements, as these are both necessary functions for one-touch access. However, these functions can be brought back by going into Sprocket => Button/Dial => Button Function and assigning your buttons there.

Another thing you will want to turn on, which the new PENs turn off by default, is the turn dial. Why they think we want a turn dial that doesn't turn, I will never understand... :rolleyes: This is turned on through Sprocket => Button/Dial => █×Lock => Off. can't remember if this applies to the E-PL2, or just the newest generation.

• Like Like x 2
  7. RT_Panther

RT_Panther Mu-43 Legend

May 4, 2011
    Texas
    Congrats' To Ya' !!!

:smile::smile::smile:

8. BarefootPilgrim

BarefootPilgrim Mu-43 Top Veteran

Dec 23, 2009
    Westchester, IL
    Bob
    Ahhhhh... another happy E-PL2 shooter. :2thumbs: Welcome!

9. krugorg

krugorg Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jul 18, 2011
    Minnesota USA
    Welcome to the user group and congrats on the E-PL2!

10. ean10775

ean10775 Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 31, 2011
    Cleveland, Ohio
    Eric
    Welcome. m43 really is a great system. I'm seriously considering putting my 5DII/24-105 on Craigslist to see if I get any bites just because I don't use it anymore, and when I do its just so big and awkward compared to my E-PL1

11. sokar

sokar Mu-43 Veteran

Nov 30, 2011
    Thanks Ned for the info about the lock on the direction of the dial. I have used an EP1 for 18 months and this was enabled from the factory. I have owned an EPM1 for the past 4 days and this had me stumped until I read your post on this lock. Why they do this I have no idea. But then again, why they don't enable the SCP from the factory is also beyond me.

I now have my EPM1 set up exactly how I want it and am able to adjust whatever I need too with minimal interaction.

12. kicsrepins

kicsrepins Mu-43 Regular

Oct 17, 2011
    Thanks guys :biggrin:

Yes that is exactly how I felt (although I mine wasn't a 5D Mk2 :biggrin:)

It's so light sometimes I forget I have it on.

Thanks Ned I actually followed crsnydertx link and managed to set everything before your helpful tips :thumbup:

Can somebody advise me if is there a good AF lens thats good for macro or close up pics? I already have the Panny 20mm and Oly 45mm.

13. tanngrisnir3

tanngrisnir3 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Oct 18, 2011
    ACK! If you're seriously considering doing that, let me know about it.

For the lens, not the camera.