1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Official Olympus Press Release

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by nueces snapper, Aug 17, 2012.

1. nueces snapper

nueces snapper Mu-43 All-Pro

2. nueces snapper

Nobody cares to expound, question or deride? :confused::tongue:

3. dhazeghi

dhazeghi Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 6, 2010
    San Jose, CA
    Dara
    The announcement missed the magic words 'micro 4/3'. So I imagine it's not of much interest to most folks here.

DH

4. nueces snapper

"Watanabe has been delighted with the success of the OM-D which has pushed the boundaries of performance for system cameras but acknowledged that it did not deliver with the legacy high end lenses from the E-System. Whilst further information wasn't forthcoming, he was keen to emphasise that Olympus is actively developing a solution and will announce more details in due course."

The 'magic' words may not be there but this particular wording I found thought provoking. :smile:

• Like Like x 1
  5. Sanpaku

Sanpaku Mu-43 Regular

Jul 24, 2012
    Perhaps we'll get a chance to turn our svelte EM-5s into large unweildy cameras, like the NEX folks:

[​IMG]

6. KVG

KVG Banned User

May 10, 2011
    yyc(Calgary, AB)
    Kelly Gibbons
  7. GaryAyala

GaryAyala Mu-43 Legend

Jan 2, 2011
    SoCal
    If we get CF that works ... I'm in. I'd much prefer a simple firmware update ... but I'll take a new camera if Oly can get pro-level dSLR focus performance for ยต4/3.

G

8. GaryAyala

GaryAyala Mu-43 Legend

Jan 2, 2011
    SoCal
  9. goldenlight

goldenlight Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 30, 2010
    Essex
    John
    Ha ha, but no!

The announcement refers to a new body, not an adapter, although a standard adapter will almost certainly be required as at present. It's going to be a mirrorless body (at least no moving mirror as part of an optical viewing system) because if it was just another Four Thirds DSLR it wouldn't need a new solution to using the lenses! The question is, will it be sensor based PDAF, a fixed semi-transparent mirror as used by Sony, or something else? My guess is that it is sensor-based and I suspect that Olympus R&D have worked with Sony to achieve this - it's inconceivable that Olympus would develop a mirrorless camera that only accepts Four Thirds and not Micro Four Thirds lenses.