1. Welcome to Mu-43.com—a friendly Micro 4/3 camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

Official Olympus Press Release

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by nueces snapper, Aug 17, 2012.

1. nueces snapper

nueces snapper Mu-43 All-Pro

2. nueces snapper

Nobody cares to expound, question or deride? :confused: :tongue:

3. dhazeghi

dhazeghi Mu-43 Hall of Famer Subscribing Member

Aug 6, 2010
    San Jose, CA
    Dara
    The announcement missed the magic words 'micro 4/3'. So I imagine it's not of much interest to most folks here.

DH

4. nueces snapper

"Watanabe has been delighted with the success of the OM-D which has pushed the boundaries of performance for system cameras but acknowledged that it did not deliver with the legacy high end lenses from the E-System. Whilst further information wasn't forthcoming, he was keen to emphasise that Olympus is actively developing a solution and will announce more details in due course."

The 'magic' words may not be there but this particular wording I found thought provoking. :smile:

• Like Like x 1
  5. Sanpaku

Sanpaku Mu-43 Regular

Jul 24, 2012
    Perhaps we'll get a chance to turn our svelte EM-5s into large unweildy cameras, like the NEX folks:

[​IMG]

6. KVG

KVG Banned User

May 10, 2011
    yyc(Calgary, AB)
    Kelly Gibbons
  7. GaryAyala

GaryAyala Mu-43 Legend

Jan 2, 2011
    SoCal
    If we get CF that works ... I'm in. I'd much prefer a simple firmware update ... but I'll take a new camera if Oly can get pro-level dSLR focus performance for µ4/3.

G

8. GaryAyala

GaryAyala Mu-43 Legend

Jan 2, 2011
    SoCal
  9. goldenlight

goldenlight Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 30, 2010
    Essex
    John
    Ha ha, but no!

The announcement refers to a new body, not an adapter, although a standard adapter will almost certainly be required as at present. It's going to be a mirrorless body (at least no moving mirror as part of an optical viewing system) because if it was just another Four Thirds DSLR it wouldn't need a new solution to using the lenses! The question is, will it be sensor based PDAF, a fixed semi-transparent mirror as used by Sony, or something else? My guess is that it is sensor-based and I suspect that Olympus R&D have worked with Sony to achieve this - it's inconceivable that Olympus would develop a mirrorless camera that only accepts Four Thirds and not Micro Four Thirds lenses.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.