Official GF1 Firmware Wish List Thread

Discussion in 'Panasonic Cameras' started by Amin Sabet, Dec 27, 2009.

1. Amin Sabet

Amin Sabet Administrator Moderator

Apr 10, 2009
    Boston, MA (USA)
    Let's collect our GF1 firmware requests in one place to make it easy for Panasonic to see :polling:.

2. blork

blork Mu-43 Rookie Charter Member

Dec 31, 2009
    Montreal, QC, Canada
    Here's one: I'd like for the manual focus assist to come with the option of the enlarged part filling the whole screen, or just the middle part. That's how it works with my Lumix LX3, so I was very surprised to NOT have that option with the GF1.

On the LX3 it's an item on the Setup menu: manual focus assist has three options OFF, MF1 (enlarged section in the middle but you still get full framing), and MF2 (entire screen is enlarged during MF assist).

Please transfer those options over from the LX3! I need the MF assist, but I do NOT want to lose framing while using it!

3. Amin Sabet

Amin Sabet Administrator Moderator

Apr 10, 2009
    Boston, MA (USA)
    Good one, I second that!

4. blueskyboarder

blueskyboarder New to Mu-43 Charter Member

Jan 1, 2010
    1/3 Shoot an entire bracket session one second after the button press

I 3rd Blork's post. I also want to say there are many many things in the camera that are dialed perfectly. That being said....

I'd add the ability to shoot an entire bracket session one second after the button press. This gives time for any camera tripod shake to settle, then shoots all the shots as rapidly as possible to minimize subject movement (waves, clouds, etc). Right now you have to hold the button through the whole bracket session risking movement. Spoke with a pana engineer about this one and he said they deliberately did not include this feature because 'people' were confused when their camera would take a whole bunch of shots with only one press and didn't realize they were in bracket mode - personally I think its far more confusing to have some pictures over/under exposed and not realizing that I'm in bracket mode.

5. blueskyboarder

Jan 1, 2010
    2/3 Speed adaptive manual focus

I love how you can really manually dial in focus since the lens is 'focus by wire', but it takes a lot of turns to get from one end of the focal distance to the other (about 4 big ones)...would be sweet if it was speed adaptive manual focus...if I turn really fast, it moves farther, if I turn slow, it moves less - similar to a feature added to computer mice years ago.

6. blueskyboarder

Jan 1, 2010
    3/3 Manual 'focus' plot that graphically shows the crispness of the target region

This one would be tricky to pull off - but heck we can dream can't we? During manual focus mode I would like to have a manual 'focus' plot that graphically shows the crispness of the image. It would analyze the desired region measuring the contrast and plot it live. As I passed the highest contrast point, the plot would dip and I would know to back off to the prev high point - basically exactly how the CDAF works, but controlled by me. This would negate the need to have manual focus zoom assist that is required now.

7. blork

Dec 31, 2009
    Montreal, QC, Canada
    Yes! As it is now, I find the focus ring to be annoying and unintuitive (because there is no set end points). This would make manual focusing much better!

8. Linh

Linh Mu-43 All-Pro Charter Member Subscribing Member

Apr 14, 2009
    Maryland, US
    I agree on focus-by-wire speed up.

I'd also like to see MF override in AF mode. as of now, it will override only when you have acquired focus and and holding down the shutter/af still. not a big deal, but would be nice.

I'd like to see the big LCD used for info while using the EVF.

Um, not much else really. Maybe better face detection? or speed up the AF even more than it is =)

My big wants are fast pancakes lenses!

9. blork

Dec 31, 2009
    Montreal, QC, Canada
    How about improved "B" (Manual exposure, "Bulb") functionality? As it is, "B" is limited to "about four minutes" (according to the manual) and you need to keep your finger on the shutter the whole time. That's lame if you want to do long night exposures.

Here's my recommendation:

- B mode: as is (no change)
    - B2 mode (new). Click the shutter button to open the shutter. Shutter stays open until you click the button again. No upper limit; shutter stays open until button is clicked or battery fails, whichever comes first.

10. matmcdermott

matmcdermott Mu-43 Regular Charter Member

How about a focus distance indicator in manual focus so you can preset focus? When using MF lenses if I often set the focus to where I think the action might happen just reading it off the lens so the actual time to focus is quicker.

Really like the MF option for only using the center of the screen for magnification, BTW. Without it, it makes using MF when the subject is moving really difficult. Perhaps not a big deal in daylight where AF can work quickly, but a handicap in dark situations where MF is faster and the AF assist light is a distraction (who leaves that option turned on anyway?).

• Like Like x 2
  11. blork

Dec 31, 2009
    Montreal, QC, Canada
    Another one: better auto white balance. Specifically, auto white balance that makes a decision and sticks with it.

My GF1 messes with my head on a regular basis over this; I'll point it at a scene, and over the course of five or six seconds the color balance slooowly shifts from one hue to another, then another, and another. I feel like I've been smoking something funny while I'm watching this unfold.

It's very annoying, because it means two or three different shots all taken in succession of the same scene can have wildly different tones. NOT GOOD!

As much as people complained about the LX3's color balance, it was just fine for me, because even if it was off a bit, at least it was consistently off. So if I took several shots I could apply the same correction to all of them. Not so with the GF1! Please fix!

e
    d

• Like Like x 2
  12. Bullfrog

Bullfrog Mu-43 Top Veteran Charter Member

Second that!

13. Yves D.

Yves D. Mu-43 Regular Charter Member

Jan 8, 2010
    Montréal, Canada
    Hi,
    I would like a "reset" buttons combination. So everything goes back to basics settings i already customized. That way i won't forget that i'm at iso 800, jpegs large and flash white balance when i go outside after taking some pictures inside the house. With "reset", camera sets to iso 100, raw and auto white balance or whatever someone likes.

And how about a way to "format" my sd card without going in the menu?
    A dedicated button or combination of 2 would be nice.

I had that on my Nikon and that was very useful.

Cheers

14. KarlHauschild

KarlHauschild New to Mu-43

Feb 27, 2010
    Jyvaskyla, Finland
    MF assist

Hi all,

I have perhaps missed this in one of the set-up menus, but the option of MF assist when using old lenses that do not communicate to the camera would be great. Could be triggered by pressing the shutter button half-way.

15. KarlHauschild

Feb 27, 2010
    Jyvaskyla, Finland
    Auto Exposure Bracket

How about this being done correctly ? One press off the shutter results in the image being recorded in sequence from the same shot. Or is the processing power on the GF1 too limited.

Cheers

• Like Like x 2
  16. hanzo

hanzo Mu-43 Veteran Charter Member

Jan 22, 2010
    Chan
    I second that.. and larger EV interval between the shots. Now maximum EV step is 2/3.

17. flipGTO

flipGTO Mu-43 Regular

Feb 8, 2010
    San Diego, CA
    Don't you use the custom mode settings? I have a mode for indoor shooting and one for sports. I almost wish there were more than 2 custom modes though.

I actually wish there was a way they could activate wireless flash mode through a firmware update. This is the only feature that is making me consider the switch to an EPL1. I use that feature often on my E-3 and E-30 with my Metz 48. Putting the Metz 48 directly on the GF1 is just silly because the flash is bigger than the camera.

18. jhob

jhob Mu-43 Veteran

I would like to see the aperture, exp comp, shutter speed dial to be speed sensitive - roll it fast and the aperture or whatever adjusts quickly, do it slowly and it goes up slowly. It can be a bit annoying with the slow pace at which it adjusts at the moment.

Full MF override in AF mode as others have said would be handy.

19. spark

spark Mu-43 Regular

Feb 8, 2010
    Toronto
    time lapse feature added to continuous shoot mode.

• Like Like x 2
  20. KarlHauschild

Feb 27, 2010
    Jyvaskyla, Finland

Ignore the above : this function already exists and is accessed with the dial.