1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Offer/Video Question: Oly Zuiko 12-60mm/f2.8-4

Discussion in 'Native Lenses' started by greyhat, Feb 15, 2013.

1. greyhat

greyhat Mu-43 Regular

Feb 14, 2013
    Hello,

I would appreciate help in evaluating an offer I received on ebay for an Oly Zuiko 12-60mm/f2.8-4 for $599. First, this will be my first :43: lens on my new GH3; would you recommend it for video indoors work mainly (plus other uses)? Second, should I negotiate price more or is it a good deal? Third, it says excellent condition; there is only some "Light Internal Dust/Hazing". Is that too bad?

Thanks for your time...

2. juangrande

juangrande Mu-43 Top Veteran

Dec 2, 2012
    COLORADO
    There is one here for sale for $600 shipped I believe. This is not a m4/3 lens and must be adapted. Focus is super slow but camera gets the info from lens and can work in auto modes. I use the 14-54 MKII and find it usable with auto focus. The 12-60 is supposedly slightly better IQ and a larger zoom range, but considerably slower in focusing. Having that 12mm would be nice. I doubt it would do well in video on auto settings focus-wise, but honestly I don't know.

3. Henk

Henk Mu-43 Regular

Aug 18, 2010
    the Netherlands
    You know this is a 4/3 lens that requires an adapter to mount it on a m4/3 camera?

Internal dust / hazing can have it's effect on the contrast of your image. It's up to you if you are willing to live with that for that price..

• Like Like x 1
  4. svtquattro

svtquattro Mu-43 Veteran

Sep 24, 2012
    Vancouver, Canada
    Don't buy that one. You should be able to find a MINT one for under $600 used if you are patient. I've seen them here on the forums...

As for video, you will have to rely on manual focus. The AF would be pathetic for video.

Even my 14-54 II is not good for AF during video. Just S-AF before you start the video, then only use MF during recording. Much better. In fact, awesome because it doesn't "rattlesnake" like say, the P14/2.5.

• Like Like x 1
  5. greyhat

greyhat Mu-43 Regular

Feb 14, 2013
    Juangrane, thank you. I didn't think of the AF speed...

6. greyhat

greyhat Mu-43 Regular

Feb 14, 2013
    Henk, I seem to have rushed on this one and didn't notice so essential points like the adopter. I didn't want to use adopter actually. And I was not sure the dust/hazing is an issue or not. Thanks!

• Like Like x 1
  7. greyhat

greyhat Mu-43 Regular

Feb 14, 2013
    Svtquattro, I am not buying it anymore, thanks! For all the reasons. It's just I was so anxious to make a choice already. I have been researching for 3 weeks now with the body of the GH3 sitting in front of me :)... I thought that's the one (12-60).

Will keep looking. Thanks all.