Off-Topic: Headphones

usayit

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
I'm one of "those" people that got Beats Studio.... I like them

Then again..

I'm no audiophile.

So asking why I got them is kinda like asking someone whose never tasted wine to describe the subtle differences between box and high priced bottled wine. The only thing I don't like about them is that they are useless if the battery dies.

Amin Sabet

Administrator
I'm one of "those" people that got Beats Studio.... I like them

Then again..

I'm no audiophile.

So asking why I got them is kinda like asking someone whose never tasted wine to describe the subtle differences between box and high priced bottled wine. The only thing I don't like about them is that they are useless if the battery dies.
I think even the Beats "haters" acknowledge that the Studios are good headphones. Whether you can get better sounding ones for the same price is debatable, and a lot of people say you can, but few are saying that those aren't good sounding.

voltcontrol

Mu-43 Regular
I've relied upon the Sennheiser HD-25 for quite a long time, for dj and private use. They sound 'honest', fit well to my head, are bastard proof and thus last very long. One of my best gear acquisitions to date.

Liamness

Mu-43 Veteran
Etymotic ER-4P

Slightly more bass tilt than the very flat and analytical ER-4S, and properly inserted deep into the ear canal, the best earphones I have ever experienced, ever.
My dream in-ears, I will get a pair eventually. Had a pair of 6is but the cable got messing up, and I never bothered fixing them... got a few good years out of them though. I try not to buy expensive headphones that don't let you replace the cable now.

My huge problem with in-ear phones is that I lose 'em, every time (or worse yet, they enter the wash cycle :eek:). Just can't afford to lose $250 earphones!
I have a set of SoundMagic E30s that went in the wash and actually came out sounding slightly better.

I have a set of Grado SR80is. They cost about twice as much in the UK, but are probably still better than anything else at that price. Then I have a set of HD25s, which maybe aren't as fun to listen to, but a bit more neutral sounding. Plus dat bass. Not silly bass like Beats headphones, but tight, extended, and rhythmic bass. Fabulous headphones for dance music.

Liamness

Mu-43 Veteran
I think even the Beats "haters" acknowledge that the Studios are good headphones. Whether you can get better sounding ones for the same price is debatable, and a lot of people say you can, but few are saying that those aren't good sounding.
They cost a lot for what they are, that's the thing. They look great, I'll give them that. If you like the beats 'sound', the same effect can be achieved by buying cheaper headphones and applying EQ.

usayit

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
A little off topic but this is the Watering Hole.....

I'm no audiophile, beats sound good to me, and I may have paid too much for them.... but here's the thing... Most brands and models mentioned in this thread I have never heard before. So when a typical audio consumer enters a store and is presented with brand recognition, decent delivery of promise, maybe a dash of superficial style/panache and you most likely have a sale. This is how import marketing is in the US and how the best product doesn't always win in sales.

So we've seen a few threads revolving around the successes and failures of mirrorless and often more specifically micro 4/3rds. I think there are parallels that can be drawn with micro 4/3rds versus Canikon as well as mirrorless versus DSLRs in the market place of typical photographic consumers. Often we translate sales charts into successes and failures in the system itself.... or do they really? That's the real question.

I've already drawn my conclusion.... As good as they delivered, both panasonic and olympus suck at marketing the micro 4/3rds system.

So I read out of curiousity a book... Rich Dad and Poor Dad. I don't really agree with its points but it was an interesting read. There was one section that described an interview by a college educated writer of the author of this book. The interviewer asked about what makes him so successful in the book world yet the writing and presentation is pretty mediocre... compared to the interviewer's highly educated background in the written word. Just like me, his answers were to the point and blunt (why this section stuck in my mind).... just like many.. the interviewer got pissed off and stormed out. He said that he stopped her as she stormed out of the room.... reminded her that the book doesn't advertise "Best authored book".... it says "Best SELLING book".

Ok... i am rambling... cheers

Savas K

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Head-Fi was almost cult-like. I was a member and wound up getting several sets of headphones. Each had a sound signature for music on a per-genre basis (or so the story went.) I look at them now and visualize M43 lenses in their place. :) Enter eBay, where I've been finding success in turning them over.

Blastop

Mu-43 Regular
Head-Fi was almost cult-like. I was a member and wound up getting several sets of headphones. Each had a sound signature for music on a per-genre basis (or so the story went.) I look at them now and visualize M43 lenses in their place. :) Enter eBay, where I've been finding success in turning them over.
Just trading one cult for another, brother :)

Taking good photos is probably more rewarding a skill than criticising headphones, to be fair.

BLX

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
Morten
Just got these BeoPlay H6 and wow what a sound

Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

orfeo

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Really off topic on mu43! But I too love headphones. I have tube amp darkvoice 339 with Sennheiser HD650. Lovely combo!
And I have electrostatic amp and headphones STAX SRM006TS and SR507. Now that is great sound!

turbodieselvw

Mu-43 Veteran
I haven't read the whole post so someone may have posted this already. I'm not really a headphone person as I prefer my full-range ribbon speakers but you should check out Massdrop (google it). It is a group buy site and they have some pretty good deals occasionally on good headphones. Problem is, you may have to wait a bit until you receive the item but the wait is usually not too long.

Ramsey

Mu-43 Top Veteran
No audiophile here. But i have to admit, i'm enjoying my ps3 wireless stereo headset, both on laptop and ps3. Comfortable, easy to use and good price to quality ratio.

sent from my Xperia Z

HappyFish

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
Chad
Want to try the Beyer soon
Have grado 80 and two pair of denon
Denon 2000 were awesome but fell part sadly :(

For me found the $300 and over I can't hear enough difference in so prefer the $200 up or down a bit range and have a few styles
Grades are so clean pure prefer for more minimal music and old Hawaiian ukulele stuff but denons for gaming dancehall style stuff I listen to
Should say I can hear difference but not worth it would rather have two sets with different characteristics

Want to get a Schiit tube amp sometime soon also lyr or Valhalla
Set of senn and akg then upgrade my grado someday :)

My home setup for Home theater and Audio is a nice NAD amp setup PSB speakers velodyne sub but with 5 and 9 year old hard to listen the way I want sometimes so headphones are fun these days :)

donlaw

Mu-43 Regular
Real Name
Don Lawrence
This is a great article. Personally, I have had the Sennheiser 650 for several years and can't say enough good about them. They are extremely comfortable to wear and you can listen to them for hours with out discomfort, or your ears feeling over stimulated. A bit pricey, but sort of a Leica for your ears. High on construction and sound quality. I tried using a headphone amp once, but ended up selling it and am satisfied with the sound I get directly from my iPod classic and apple lossless files. MP3 and ACC files at higher bit rate sound acceptable, but you can really tell if you have a lossless file or a directly listen to a turntable or CD player. Recently pick up a pair of Sennheiser Momentum over the ear because I wanted to have something easier to travel with. But, they do not come even close to sounding as good. Probably end up selling them on Head-fi. Just my 2 cents on headphones for those interested.

If anyone wants to geek out on perhaps the best headphones review ever written, check this out: http://www.head-fi.org/t/634201/battle-of-the-flagships-58-headphones-compared-update-audeze-lcd-2-revision-2-6-4-13

daum

Mu-43 Veteran
Audio Technica ATH-M50X is a version that has the replaceable cord. I've got the regular ATH-M50 wit a Fiio DAC and love the combo!

Also if you're looking for awesome sounding headphones for cheap. Check out the Koss KSC75. For $15 they beat out my Grado S80 ($90) and Banging Olufsen Form 2 ($100 and Crappy) headphones. For $15, try them you will hear things you didn't know was in the song.

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Mu-43 is a fan site and not associated with Olympus, Panasonic, or other manufacturers mentioned on this site.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2009-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom