1. Reminder: Please user our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

Off centre focusing issue/maybe

Discussion in 'This or That? (MFT only)' started by Triggertrevor, Oct 21, 2013.

1. Triggertrevor

Triggertrevor Mu-43 Regular

Jun 30, 2013
    Hi all just wanted throw something out there if poss.

I was out on Sunday shooting my sons football match, now I've just picked up a 35-100mm panasonic lens that I'm trying to get used to.

Now some guys on here have gave me some great feedback on how to improve the sharpness of my shots.

I set my stabilisation to panning which I think has helped. I tried cont AF but my G5 slows down a lot so I just chose AF single, now this time I set my focus point to a slightly larger box than before to see if this improved things but what I'm finding now is that sometimes its the outer part of he focus box that seems to be sharper than the things in the box.?

I checked see if I had moved my focus point by accident but it ws always centre.
    I normally shoot ii aperture priority mode and seen as it was pretty bright on Sunday I had no problems shooting above 1/1000th at 2.8. Iso never went above 250.

Now I was wondering if I stopped things down a little say to 3.5 as long as I kept my shutter speed above 1/1000th would I sharpen things up.?

cheers all

Kev

2. wjiang

wjiang Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Is it actually focusing on something behind the subject or is the focus just a bit off? With a larger focus box you're actually more likely to get back focusing problems - contrast AF just looks for some edge in the box, after all.

You could try the following: use the smallest AF box possible, but move it to approximately where the subject's feet would be on the ground. Aim the AF box at the bottom of the feet, and as long as you have enough wiggle room in DoF (you might have to stop down a little to achieve this), everything in roughly the same plane as the feet or the ground around the feet should be in focus. Even if it focuses on the grass around the feet it should be better than focusing on whatever is behind the head/body at a much greater distance.

3. Triggertrevor

Jun 30, 2013
    Thanks for that info i'll give it a go tomorrow.
    One other thing i'd like to ask regarding this matter is, i currently have my metering set to multi and wondered if it might work better set to centre weighted instead.??

Just a thought

Cheers Kev

4. Triggertrevor

Jun 30, 2013
    Hi just a quick update in the situ.
    Been out this morning with the camera and tried the small focus box and also tried lowering the focus box but i still seem to be getting back focus when shooting football.

I also find that more of my shoots today have been a little out of focus using the small focus box?

Does anyone else have problems with their G5 at focusing on sports or fast moving objects

Cheers kev

5. Triggertrevor

Jun 30, 2013
    Hi just a quick update in the situ.
    Been out this morning with the camera and tried the small focus box and also tried lowering the focus box but i still seem to be getting back focus when shooting football.

I also find that more of my shoots today have been a little out of focus using the small focus box?

Does anyone else have problems with their G5 at focusing on sports or fast moving objects

Cheers kev