1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Off camera Yongnuo 560 III

Discussion in 'Lighting Forum' started by Foster2380, Nov 23, 2013.

1. Foster2380

Foster2380 Mu-43 Regular

Jun 6, 2012
    Question, will the pop up flash that came with the OMD trigger a Yongnuo 560 3 off camera? Will it trigger a Canon 420ex?

Thanks.

2. jloden

jloden Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 15, 2012
    Hunterdon County, NJ
    Jay
    Any flash that supports optical slave mode (which is most of them, including the YN-560 III) will work fine with pretty much any flash, including the OM-D's hot-shoe flash. It will however be manual only, since TTL flash only works on m4/3 TTL compatible flashes from Olympus, Panasonic, and Metz.

The optical trigger just looks for any bright flash pop so it's very widely compatible. The downside of course, if you work events at least, is that other people's flash can trigger your optical slaves :wink:

3. usayit

usayit Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Some optical slaves will have difficulties if the camera's flash fires pre flashes just before exposure. They will trigger optical slaves too early.

Other optical slaves can be configured to ignore the preflah.

Sent from mobile.... excuse my typos

4. MingTyhMaa

MingTyhMaa Mu-43 Regular

Jul 20, 2012
    Lafayette, CA
    Ming-Tyh Maa

The YN 560 III can be set as a slave to ignore the preflash if needed. But cheaper Yongnuo flashes can be had if you plan to trigger via optical slave.

• Like Like x 2
  5. fredlong

fredlong Just this guy...

Apr 18, 2011
    Massachusetts USA
    Fred
    I don't know for sure for the OMD, but older Olympus cameras allowed using the built in flash manually with variable power output. No pre flashes.

Fred

6. cdmicha

cdmicha Mu-43 Regular

Dec 28, 2012
    Arkansas
    Chris
    As mentioned, the YN's can be set to trigger on either the first flash or set to ignore the preflashes. Also, the E-M5's little flash can be used in manual mode, and at 1/128th can trigger the YN's very easily, at least indoors.

I'm not sure about a 420ex, as I don't have one- but it can't trigger my 430exii, as there's no optical slave built into it. If you're interested in off camera manual flash, I'd recommend picking up a set of wireless radio triggers- you can get some pretty cheap ones (I've got several cowboy studio ones I use frequently). However, the nice thing about the YN-560ii though is that they have a wireless trigger built into them- which means all you'd need is the right transmitter on your camera, and the flash will trigger with it. I believe the two transmitters that will fire the YN-560iii are the YN RF-602 and YN RF-603. I've not used this setup personally (and I've heard about issues with the 602s and E-M5s), so you might want to verify that before you get some.

7. jloden

May 15, 2012
    Hunterdon County, NJ
    Jay
    Small correction, I think you just made a typo but just to clarify: the YN-560 III has radio-controlled wireless built-in. The YN-560 II you'd need a separate radio trigger. It's about $10-15 more expensive for the YN-560 III over the II, but if you plan to use YN-602/603 triggers anyway it makes sense.

8. Ccasey

Ccasey Mu-43 Regular

Jul 29, 2011
    Austin, TX
    Chris
    I briefly had the YN-603 and I really didn't like the way they worked... As I recall there was a requirement for the trigger to be connected to the camera before it would sync with the receiver, so you couldn't just grab the trigger and carry it to the subject to meter lights. It seemed an unnecessary requirement.

The 603's are also made specifically for certain platforms - Canon or Nikon - and you'd have to figure out which one you needed based on the camera you have.

I returned mine and got cactus v5's instead. They're a little bigger, and a little more expensive, but they are simple to use. However, my guess is they would not trigger the internal wireless of the 560iii, so you have to decide on your triggers before spending the extra money on the flash.

9. jloden

May 15, 2012
    Hunterdon County, NJ
    Jay
    Correct - the 603 requires a TTL connection on the camera to enable the transmitter. The 602s have a separate transmitter/receiver so don't have that problem.

See https://www.mu-43.com/showthread.php?t=45084 for more info.

The Canon/Nikon requirement is also correct. The 603s (for Canon at least) do not work on my GH3. The YN-622s do work, as do my Phottix Strato II Canon triggers. If you wanted to use a YN-560 III with wireless on m4/3 I believe you would have to use the YN-602 trigger. Otherwise you can go with any cheap radio triggers that work reliably with m4/3 and just use a regular YN-560 II flash without built-in wireless for less $.

• Like Like x 1
  10. cdmicha

cdmicha Mu-43 Regular

Dec 28, 2012
    Arkansas
    Chris
    Oh, thanks- I was just typing too fast! I meant to write three "i"s but left one off! Thanks for the catch.

I'm not fancy enough to have the 560iii (got it right that time!), I've got several 560ii flashes and LOVE them. I use them all the time with whatever system I'm shooting, most of the time with those cheap CS triggers. One of these days I'll splurge for some better triggers, but those little guys have continued to work nearly flawlessly for me for almost 2 years. I've actually replaced the battery on 2 triggers I've used them so much. Anyway, I digress. Off camera flash is so much fun.

11. inkista

inkista Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 13, 2012
    San Diego, CA
    As others have said, yes on the YN-560iii, so long as you aren't using the RC-master mode on the pop-up (that would give off multiple pre-flashes). With the OMD flash in manual mode, or regular (non-wireless) TTL mode, the YN-560iii's S1 and S2 modes, respectively, will trigger the flash. Actually, any nearby flash will trigger the YN-560iii in S1/S2 modes.

The 420EX, as was stated, has no optical built-in slave, but you could set it off with a hotshoe-attached optical trigger (Sonia green-based are your best bet, as Canon EX units are finicky when it comes to add-on optical slaves) or radio triggers, BUT you have one major drawback in trying to use a 420EX off-camera, which is that it has no manual mode. You have no way of controlling the power/light output of the 420EX once you take it off a Canon TTL hotshoe; it will only fire at full power. So, this is not a good unit for off-camera flash. The 430EX and 430EXII both have Manual mode on them, and would be much more useful for off-camera work.

RF-603s can be modified to short that TTL signal to the correct pin on the mft hotshoe. But, pulling out soldering irons and modding flash gear is not something the average user likes to do. :) If you're brave enough, though, get the Canon RF-603s--the pin/contact placement will match.

Ditto the Phottix Strato IIs; and the Cactus V5s have an Rx/Tx switch on them, rather than relying on auto-sensing. There has also been an announcement that Yongnuo plans to create an RF-603ii that will fix this issue, but for now, the RF-603s are problematic for mft.

• Like Like x 2