1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

off camera light kit progress: Nikon SBs + Cybersyncs

Discussion in 'Lighting Forum' started by sprocket87, Jul 27, 2012.

1. sprocket87

sprocket87 Mu-43 Veteran

Jun 29, 2011
    Until recently I was a Nikon shooter with multiple SB-600s/800s that I triggered off camera using Nikon CLS. I occasionally used TTL metering but was comfortable doing Strobist style manual flash control.

Now that's all sold off and I'm in the OMD camp. I was planning on getting a couple Oly/Metz flashes to do RC with just like I was used to with Nikon CLS, but I decided to go the full manual route -- basic manual flashes with wireless radio triggers.

I just scored a Nikon SB-24 and SB-28 for $100 shipped (together). These are great little flashes with zoom heads, plenty of power and PC sync jacks. I'm about to order a set of Paul C Buff Cybersyncs for them, and one for my Lumopro LP120 that I was triggering optically before. That will give me 3 reliable off camera manual flashes...

The only downside for me is that I'll miss manually dialing in flash compensation value (FV) from the camera body as I did with Nikon CLS. Walking to adjust the remote flashes won't be as convenient, but this will be a nice savings and more flexible for shooting conditions as well.

Any other SB / Cybersyncs shooters out there?

2. Art

Art Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 13, 2011
    San Francisco, CA
    I use a small Nikon SB-30 flash with my E-PM1. Oly allows up to 1/400s flash sync with manual flashes such as SB. I use it primarily in the sun to fill shooting wise open w/ND filter.