1. Welcome to Mu-43.com—a friendly Micro 4/3 camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

off camera light kit progress: Nikon SBs + Cybersyncs

Discussion in 'Lighting Forum' started by sprocket87, Jul 27, 2012.

1. sprocket87

sprocket87 Mu-43 Veteran

Jun 29, 2011
    Until recently I was a Nikon shooter with multiple SB-600s/800s that I triggered off camera using Nikon CLS. I occasionally used TTL metering but was comfortable doing Strobist style manual flash control.

Now that's all sold off and I'm in the OMD camp. I was planning on getting a couple Oly/Metz flashes to do RC with just like I was used to with Nikon CLS, but I decided to go the full manual route -- basic manual flashes with wireless radio triggers.

I just scored a Nikon SB-24 and SB-28 for $100 shipped (together). These are great little flashes with zoom heads, plenty of power and PC sync jacks. I'm about to order a set of Paul C Buff Cybersyncs for them, and one for my Lumopro LP120 that I was triggering optically before. That will give me 3 reliable off camera manual flashes...

The only downside for me is that I'll miss manually dialing in flash compensation value (FV) from the camera body as I did with Nikon CLS. Walking to adjust the remote flashes won't be as convenient, but this will be a nice savings and more flexible for shooting conditions as well.

Any other SB / Cybersyncs shooters out there?

2. Art

Art Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 13, 2011
    San Francisco, CA
    I use a small Nikon SB-30 flash with my E-PM1. Oly allows up to 1/400s flash sync with manual flashes such as SB. I use it primarily in the sun to fill shooting wise open w/ND filter.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.