Off camera flash

Discussion in 'Accessories' started by uluru, Jul 13, 2012.

1. uluru

uluru New to Mu-43

Dec 3, 2010
    I'm looking for a off camera flash kit. I have a GH1, but i think it will be the same for all the m4/3 cameras or for the Panasonic cameras at least

What would you recommend?
    What kit are you using?

I would like a wirless one!

2. scs217

scs217 Mu-43 Rookie

Dec 21, 2012
    Pennsylvania
    I have a Metz 50 AF-1 which I use with an Olympus E-PL2. It works really well with bouncing and off camera with the Olympus flash based commander. I haven't tried it outdoors or in multiple groups (does up to 3) but is very handy once you get the feel for it. I don't use any diffusers other than the built in because I've only had the flash for a month. Looks on B&H that it has been replaced by the 52 AF-1 which is slightly more expensive and has a touch screen.

3. RT_Panther

RT_Panther Mu-43 Legend

May 4, 2011
    Texas
    Does size matter :confused: (Serious now!) :rolleyes: :smile:

4. MingTyhMaa

MingTyhMaa Mu-43 Regular

Jul 20, 2012
    Lafayette, CA
    Ming-Tyh Maa
    I like Yongnuo flashes. Very cost effective. Depending on how serious you are about off-camera flash, you can decide whether you would invest in radio triggers for each flash, or just rely on the optical slave that each unit has. I use off-camera flash at home, and the optical triggers are perfect.

5. zpierce

zpierce Super Moderator Subscribing Member

Sep 26, 2010
    Minneapolis, MN
    Zach
    I bought the Cowboy Studio remote setup off of Amazon I believe for use with my GH2. It was inexpensive ($20 if i recall) and it works great. Just used it to shoot a bunch of xmas photos.

6. Zariell

Zariell Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 28, 2012
    Bountiful, UT
    I have a Metz AF58-2 and while its a great flash I don't like the manual settings,while attached to the camera, my solution was to buy a RF trigger so it converts to full manual, now I looking at some Yongnuo Yn-460ii as inexpensive speedlites for wireless uses. When I shot Canon I used to have 12 flashes, now I kinda wish I kept them :p Ah well you live and learn.

For RF I have had great luck with the Aputure Trigmaster Plus, they are about 35 each, but I like how they can be transmitters and receivers, they work damn well with both my hotshoe flashes, and my studio strobes..

And honestly I not going into accessories, if I had a nickel for each of my little doodads for flashes, I would be able to buy much more that my wife would want to kill me for :rofl:

I did get a Demb Flash Diffuser Pro as a gift lately and I have been really pleased with the results when I have used the flash off camera, and on.

7. 0dBm

0dBm Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 30, 2011
    Western United States
    As follows is what I typically use:
    • The tiny, 2-AAA-cell-powered Olympus FL-14 for 3-8 feet typical shooting distance. This is representative of accross-a-kitchen table scenario. Because the output is quite low, I bump-up the ISO to 800 or greater. I use a modified Demb flash diffuser setup to soften and disperse the output to avoid "hotspot" reflections on subject(s). With the Panasonic GX1 and 50mm, f/1.4, it is my low-profile, ultra lightweight setup.
    • The mid-range, 2-AA-cell-powered Panasonic DMW FL-360 for across-the-room, moderately-timed shots. I still bump-up the ISO from 400-1250 depending on the distance and desired recycle time. When I need a faster recycle time, I set the 360 for a lower output and the camera to 1250 ISO.
    • For fast recycle time, sheer output, and mobility, I use the 4-AA-cell-powered Metz 58 AF-2 with the more robust, metallic connector mounted on a flash bracket.
    • For more output with stationary, posed shots, I use the 4-AA-cell-powered Metz 58 AF-1 mounted on a radio trigger and tabletop stand with the flash's output pointed at a white wall or ceiling, or with the Demb unit mentioned above.
    • For very fast cycle times, in a room up to 25 feet, I simply mount BOTH the Metz 58s on radio triggers on a table-top stand with the large output heads pointed straight at the ceiling. I drop the outputs and bump-up the camera ISO to 400-800 to create a very fast cycle time setting.

The large-sized output heads on the Metz 58 units make a big difference in area coverage. I typically use low-discharge 2000 mAh Eneloop AA cells; however, I have standard (non low-discharge) 2900 mAh AA cells for the sheer output that allows faster recycle times.

Hope this helps. Feel free to ask additional questions.