Off Brand Adapter

guzziknight

Mu-43 Top Veteran
I’m considering buying a 4/3 50-200 SWD to go with my E-M1. I’d rather get a 40-150 Pro, but that’s out of my price range at this time.

The MMF-2 and MMF-3 are hard to find, and very expensive.

Does anyone have experience with the cheaper third party adapters found on eBay? If so, can you recommend one?

Thanks!

DeeJayK

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Keith
For that use case I would stick with the MMF-3 since its the only weather sealed adapter I'm aware of. Seems silly to me to lose the advantages of a weatherproof lens by using a non-sealed adapter.

- K

guzziknight

Mu-43 Top Veteran
For that use case I would stick with the MMF-3 since its the only weather sealed adapter I'm aware of. Seems silly to me to lose the advantages of a weatherproof lens by using a non-sealed adapter.

- K
I get that, but buying the lens and the MMF-3 will push the cost close to $600, which I really can’t afford. Also, weather sealing is nice, but not critical for the photography I do.

Real Name
Walter
I relied on the Olympus MMF-2 and MMF-3 adaptors. I had several 4/3rd lenses. I tried one 3rd party adaptor and it would not connect reliably between lens and body. There was a little rotational play, and sometimes I would just get a black screen when I turned on the camera. I'd have to turn the camera off and remount the adapter to get a functioning connection. I even cleaned the contacts with DeOXIT repeatedly. No difference. I ended up giving the adapter away with a 4/3 lens I sold, warning the buyer of the issue. If you can find an MMF-3 (to preserve the weather-sealing), I'd recommend it even if it costs more. The Olympus adaptors never failed me. AFAIK, none of the 3rd party adapters have weatherseals. I sold my 50-200 SWD, MMF-3, and EC-14 some months ago. It was a great deal for the buyer.

I relied on the Olympus MMF-2 and MMF-3 adaptors. I had several 4/3rd lenses. I tried one 3rd party adaptor and it would not connect reliably between lens and body. There was a little rotational play, and sometimes I would just get a black screen when I turned on the camera. I'd have to turn the camera off and remount

The Olympus adaptors never failed me.
I completely second this experience. I tried two different cheap ones and had the same problem. I got the MMF-2 and all was well.

DeeJayK

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Keith
I get that, but buying the lens and the MMF-3 will push the cost close to $600, which I really can’t afford. Also, weather sealing is nice, but not critical for the photography I do.
Yeah, I get it. I didn't realize until I looked just now just how high the prices of the Olympus adapters are.

I don't have any experience with the third party adapters to share, but judging by the fit of some of the MF adapters I've used, I would be concerned about connectivity.

Maybe look for the Panasonic DMW-MA1?

- K

guzziknight

Mu-43 Top Veteran
I relied on the Olympus MMF-2 and MMF-3 adaptors. I had several 4/3rd lenses. I tried one 3rd party adaptor and it would not connect reliably between lens and body. There was a little rotational play, and sometimes I would just get a black screen when I turned on the camera. I'd have to turn the camera off and remount the adapter to get a functioning connection. I even cleaned the contacts with DeOXIT repeatedly. No difference. I ended up giving the adapter away with a 4/3 lens I sold, warning the buyer of the issue. If you can find an MMF-3 (to preserve the weather-sealing), I'd recommend it even if it costs more. The Olympus adaptors never failed me. AFAIK, none of the 3rd party adapters have weatherseals. I sold my 50-200 SWD, MMF-3, and EC-14 some months ago. It was a great deal for the buyer.
Thanks! That’s the info I needed. I was thinking the third party ones weren’t worth it, but wanted to confirm that.

guzziknight

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Yeah, I get it. I didn't realize until I looked just now just how high the prices of the Olympus adapters are.

I don't have any experience with the third party adapters to share, but judging by the fit of some of the MF adapters I've used, I would be concerned about connectivity.

Maybe look for the Panasonic DMW-MA1?

- K
The Panasonic, if you can find it, is also around $200+.

The Grumpy Snapper

Mu-43 Top Veteran
I have a third party version that has worked 100% of the time in the years I've had it. I seem to think that the brand is Movo.

I skipped the various models with bad reviews.

Real Name
Walter

Yes, it may take a while, but it'd be worth it. I've bought lenses and a couple of MMF-3 adapters from Japanese sellers on eBay and have been very satisfied with their service and products. The Panasonic adapter is made of aluminum, but doesn't have the o-ring seal that the MMF-3 does. It would be more reliable than 3rd party adapters.

PakkyT

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
I was thinking the third party ones weren’t worth it, but wanted to confirm that.
In addition to the connection problems mentioned, we had a discussion some years ago about these 3rd party adapters and ultra-wide angle (<12mm in focal length) having an effect on the photo quality due to the lens mount side not being perfectly parallel with the body mount side. On long focal length no one would notice, but on ultra-wide shots this acted a bit like a tilt lens where one side of the photo would be noticeably softer than the other side indicating one side of the lens ever so slightly a different distance from the sensor than the other side of the lens.

guzziknight

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Yes, it may take a while, but it'd be worth it. I've bought lenses and a couple of MMF-3 adapters from Japanese sellers on eBay and have been very satisfied with their service and products. The Panasonic adapter is made of aluminum, but doesn't have the o-ring seal that the MMF-3 does. It would be more reliable than 3rd party adapters.
We live in an RV full time traveling. We’re only here until next month, so if it doesn’t get here before we leave, I won’t see it until mid to end of October.

guzziknight

Mu-43 Top Veteran
In addition to the connection problems mentioned, we had a discussion some years ago about these 3rd party adapters and ultra-wide angle (<12mm in focal length) having an effect on the photo quality due to the lens mount side not being perfectly parallel with the body mount side. On long focal length no one would notice, but on ultra-wide shots this acted a bit like a tilt lens where one side of the photo would be noticeably softer than the other side indicating one side of the lens ever so slightly a different distance from the sensor than the other side of the lens.
I heard that as well. I’d only need it for the long lens, so that wouldn’t be an issue. I’m more concerned with quality and reliability.

Latest threads

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Mu-43 is a fan site and not associated with Olympus, Panasonic, or other manufacturers mentioned on this site.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Forum GIFs powered by GIPHY: https://giphy.com/
Copyright © Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom