1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Of all the stupid reasons to have to send in my E-M5 for repair...

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by ptolemyx, Sep 10, 2012.

1. ptolemyx

ptolemyx Mu-43 Veteran

Jun 19, 2012
    Vancouver, BC
    Ben
    This takes the cake.

P9104621.JPG

(It doesn't snap back on -- there's a very thin layer of rubbery adhesive.)

2. newbert

newbert Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 22, 2012
    Glens Falls, NY
    What the heck is it? :confused:

3. ptolemyx

ptolemyx Mu-43 Veteran

Jun 19, 2012
    Vancouver, BC
    Ben
    The cap of the dial next to the viewfinder! =(

I first noticed it turning freely (no detents), and then it just came right off. The thing underneath is turnable, but clearly not meant to be exposed to the world.

4. newbert

newbert Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 22, 2012
    Glens Falls, NY
    You mean the +/- dial just to the left of the EVF? (The one to set the diopter?) If so, that's pretty strange, since you normally set the diopter once and then don't touch it again.

5. ptolemyx

ptolemyx Mu-43 Veteran

Jun 19, 2012
    Vancouver, BC
    Ben
    No, the top rear control dial -- the big one to the right of the viewfinder!

6. nueces snapper

nueces snapper Mu-43 All-Pro

One small drop of silicone glue and letting it set overnight would probably fix it right up. :smile:

7. ptolemyx

ptolemyx Mu-43 Veteran

Jun 19, 2012
    Vancouver, BC
    Ben
    There are a few holes in the hump that the cap sits on, so I'm a bit worried about glueing it. What do you think?

WP_000120.

8. mperete

mperete Mu-43 Regular

Jul 11, 2012
    NSW Australia
    Mann
    That's really disappointing isn't it? A 1K++ camera with parts just falling off :mad:

9. jodavis21

jodavis21 New to Mu-43

Jun 26, 2012
    Mine just came off this past weekend too. Was just going to ask for suggestions on the best adhesive to reglue.

10. ptolemyx

ptolemyx Mu-43 Veteran

Jun 19, 2012
    Vancouver, BC
    Ben
    No doubt. And if you look at the parts, it's very difficult to see how they were securely locked together in the first place.

Oh, wait--they weren't!

Like I was saying: of all the stupid reasons... =(

• Like Like x 1
  11. geelog

geelog Mu-43 Rookie

Apr 6, 2012
    Calgary, AB
    My cap just came off tonight. Are they all failing at the same time?

12. goldenlight

goldenlight Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 30, 2010
    Essex
    John
    If they are all coming off at night, maybe it's a nightcap - mine's a single malt, please! :biggrin:

Seriously, this is not good and I wouldn't be inclined to glue it myself without first checking with Olympus, in case it invalidates the warranty. :eek:

13. dhazeghi

dhazeghi Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 6, 2010
    San Jose, CA
    Dara
    Not good. Some things are unavoidable, but this just seems like shoddy manufacturing.

DH

14. LeeOsenton

LeeOsenton Mu-43 Button Clicker

Jun 25, 2010
    Hayes, Virginia, U.S.A.
    Lee Osenton
    I don't have an E-M5, but what about tacky glue? It is a white glue that is almost as thick as paste and it dries fairly quickly (30 - 60 minutes). It is sold in craft stores; I use it frequently in situations like this because it is strong and safe. Even though it is water based, it resists moisture very well.

Lee

15. Bokeaji

Bokeaji Gonzo's Dad O.*

Aug 6, 2011
    Austin, TX
    id use a glue dot
    u can get at scrap booking stores
    a lil circle of 1/2 mm thick glue goop

16. geelog

geelog Mu-43 Rookie

Apr 6, 2012
    Calgary, AB
    I called Olympus today. They said it was a warranty issue and I would have to return the camera to them for repairs. Instead, I placed a single drop of "Gorilla Super Glue" in the centre dimple, held the cap in place for 10 seconds then set it aside for an hour. It worked! The cap is on and is as good as new.

• Like Like x 2
  17. Keith

Keith Mu-43 Regular

Jul 16, 2012
    Australia
    The E-M5 is a nice little camera but it's not exactly tough. After a couple of weeks of ownership I was taking mine out of my Domke and caught the viewfinder cup on the edge of the bag and it fell apart. That little cup is in about four different pieces including the rubber and when I had a good look it hadn't actually broken as such but just separated and I was able to repair it with a couple of drops of superglue.

There are parts of this camera that are quite fragile IMO ... it's no pro device and people need to remember this!

18. nueces snapper

From all that we now know ... This body has to be babied. Letting it dangle from any sort of strap while walking invites trouble.

19. D@ne

D@ne Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 23, 2012
    Toronto
    mine (knock on wood) has not had any of these issues. The leather is secure, the dials are secure, the eyecup doesn't come off without some effort.

Here I was thinking I had a fairly tough camera!

20. nueces snapper

My eyecup tries to commit suicide any chance it gets. I handcuffed it to the frame with some black tape. :biggrin:

• Like Like x 1