OEM vs After-market hood.

Discussion in 'Accessories' started by Dave in Wales, Feb 17, 2015.

1. Dave in Wales

Dave in Wales Mu-43 All-Pro

Nov 5, 2011
    West Wales
    Yes, yes, I know that Oly OEM hoods cost an arm and a leg (in UK) but I always buy them in preference to the atfer-market ones, usually JJC, on offer at Amazon.

I picked up a LNIB 75-300 that came with a hood, a JJC version of an Olympus LH-61E.

The JJC is inferior, IMVHO, to the OEM version.
    The main fault is that it's too tight when reversing it to stow in on the lens.

It's so tight (JJC) that I feel in danger of twisting the extended barrel out of the lens body and completely ruining the whole lens.
    The OEM one however, is silky smooth in both modes.
  2. oldracer

oldracer Mu-43 All-Pro

Oct 1, 2010
  3. BigTam

BigTam Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 19, 2012
    Dortmund, Germany
    I've always had JJC hoods on my Olympus lenses. So far, no bad experiences.YMMV.
  4. Atom Ant

Atom Ant Mu-43 Veteran

Oct 24, 2012
    Melbourne, OZ
    I had a JJC hood when I had the 12-50. It was quite tight and eventually cracked, which may have been unrelated to the fit. I sold the lens, so I've not bothered to replace the hood.

My JJC hood for the 75-300 is very tight. I do feel like I need to carefully support the extended barrel when twisting it on or off.

My JJC hoods for the 17/1.8 and 75/1.8 are both metal and fit very nicely - just as well as the metal Olympus hood that came with my 12/2. Similarly, my plastic JJC hood for the 45/1.8 fits as well as the Olympus hood for the 25/1.8.

Because I had mixed experiences with plastic JJC hoods, I paid good money for the Olympus hood for my 60 /2.8, which has the sliding feature.
    Last edited: Feb 18, 2015
  5. Droogie

Droogie Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 23, 2013
    Washington State
    I tend to use the all rubber lens hoods for my after market. If it is a bayonet type I'll by what ever is cheapest such as the recent Rainbow imaging plastic version for the Olympus 14-42 lens. Fits great. I also found a box at a local estate sale that had all Dot Line brand from the 80's, in original unopened packaging with matching lens caps. There were about 20 sets in every size from 49mm up to 62mm. All for the princely sum of $2.00. So I'm kind of set for larger sizes for awhile.
    Last edited: Feb 17, 2015
  6. Linh

Linh Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 14, 2009
    Maryland, US
    I love the JJC hood for my 12/2 (granted, I don't use it, and hate the actual implementation oly used...), but for the life of me, several different ones for my 75/1.8 refuse to fit.. extremely tight that I felt like I would have broken something pushing any harder (yes, I loosened the bolt and tried various positions of it). The oly 60 macro JJC hood I have is not smooth. In fact, I didn't even know it collapsed until I accidentally pushed on it. Then my brother got a 40-150... wow that hood is just.. wow.
  7. eteless

eteless Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 20, 2014
    I have various JJC hoods and OEM versions and the OEM are generally better quality, with the 45mm f1.8 the JJC was good when new however the plastic isn't as good as the OEM and once it wore out it became pretty bad to use. With the 75-300 my JJC one is fine, not too tight and not loose.
  8. Ted

Ted Mu-43 Regular

Oct 10, 2014
    Tasmania, Australia
    Theo B
    I have JJC hoods for my 12-50, 17 1.8, 45 1.8 and 60 2.8. The metal hood for the 17 is great, the 12-50 and 45 do the job that they're supposed to and the hood for the 60 is okay but it can grip a little when I'm sliding it back and forth, not sure how it compares to the Oly one though. Either way, for the price difference, I'm totally fine with them.
  9. Holoholo55

Holoholo55 Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 13, 2014
    Honolulu, HI
    I bought a JJC hood for the 14-42 f3.5-5.6 IIR lens and it started loose and got looser with time. When it started falling off on its own accord with just a slight touch, I dumped it. I did find a screw-in rangefinder style metal hood for my 17mm f1.8 that works great and stays on the lens constantly. I even found that a 58mm lens cap fits over the front of it and replaces the stock lens cap.
  10. PacNWMike

PacNWMike Mu-43 All-Pro

Dec 5, 2014
    Salish Sea
    At a price differential of 4 or 5 :1 it's a no-brainer for me. If a bit tight rub grooves with your finger to lube. In my case the OEM hood on my 9-18 is too loose. The treasure given for the OEM hoods just isn't worth it.
  11. Linh

Linh Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 14, 2009
    Maryland, US
    In my case, a "little" was a huge understatement, heh. I finally found a video of someone using a JJC 75/1.8 hood, and it went on effortlessly it seemed. But I'm not willing to drop the money to try a stock one. I wonder if they shrunk the 75 a sliver (I have an early one).
  12. Listener

Listener Mu-43 Regular

13. Droogie

Droogie Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 23, 2013
    Washington State
  14. Holoholo55

Holoholo55 Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 13, 2014
    Honolulu, HI
  15. tkbslc

tkbslc Mu-43 Hall of Famer

I solve this problem by not using hoods. I used to use them but found that hoods help only 1-2% of the time and are annoying and in the way 100% of the time. Having to pay for this punishment is even worse!
    • Agree Agree x 1