1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Odd thing with the Oly 12-50

Discussion in 'Native Lenses' started by Jman, Aug 13, 2012.

1. Jman

Jman Mu-43 Veteran

Apr 20, 2011
    Columbus, OH
    I picked up a new (used) Oly 12-50 that had been split out from a kit, since I didn't get it in the kit when I got my E-M5, and I eventually decided I'd like the range and weatherproofing.

I actually like the lens a fair bit, though it's not going to take the place of my 12/2, 25/1.4, 45/1.8 combo for most shooting, but it'll be convenient when I just want to take one lens and have some versatility.

Anyway...to the point. I noticed today while playing with power zoom vs manual zoom....that the lens actually goes wider when the lens is in manual zoom mode. It's not much, but it's definitely there. Put in power zooom, go as wide as you can...take a picture. Without moving the camera, switch to manual zoom, move the ring to go wider, and you'll get a little extra width. It's probably 0.5mm, but it's still there.

Very interesting. Give it a try and let me know if it's common to all 12-50s or just mine. :)

2. Jet A

Jet A New to Mu-43

Aug 6, 2012
    Miami, FL
    Mine does it too, but it's such a small amount that I would have never noticed it.

3. RevBob

RevBob Super Moderator

Jun 4, 2011
    NorthWestern PA
    Bob
    A built in bonus! :biggrin: