1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

odd question about E-M5 + 20/1.7

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by bartjeej, Oct 9, 2012.

1. bartjeej

bartjeej Mu-43 Regular

Oct 9, 2012
    Hi all,

I registered here just to ask this question, so plz forgive me for not having introduced myself yet:wink:some of you might know me from SC.com. I think I have a better chance of finding someone with this combination here, so hi!

I'm considering several cameras for an upcoming backpacking trip, and two of those are the Fuji X100 and the Olympus E-M5 + 20/1.7 combination. One of my main considerations is size, and especially depth/thickness.

So my question is: how deep/thick is the E-M5 + panasonic 20/1.7 combination (without lens cap), when you take off the eye cup of the EVF? Can anyone who has this combo (and a tape measure) tell me this?

Many thanks in advance! :smile:

Bart

2. MAubrey

MAubrey Photographer

Jul 9, 2012
    Bellingham, WA
    Mike Aubrey
    Well, you can see a direct comparison of the two cameras here, though the eye cup is still on:

Compact Camera Meter

3. bartjeej

bartjeej Mu-43 Regular

Oct 9, 2012
    I visited this comparison site just minutes before my post, but somehow I totally overlooked the ability to add lenses to this comparison tool! Thanks! :smile: I should be able to figure out how large the eye cup is using the amount of pixels compared to the overall size...

4. Agent00soul

Agent00soul Mu-43 Regular

Jan 22, 2010
    The total thickness is 70.5 mm (measured with calipers). The eyecup adds just 3 mm to this.

5. f64

f64 Mu-43 Regular

Mar 6, 2010
    I measured the thickness of E-M5 + 20/1.7 (without lens cap and eye cup) at 2.75" (70mm).

6. bartjeej

bartjeej Mu-43 Regular

Oct 9, 2012
    Agent00soul and f64, thanks!:2thumbs: I couldn't get the comparison thing to give consistent results (either their camera images aren't consistently scaled, which I doubt, or their definition of depth does not include all tangible parts of the camera), but you have solved my problems. Muchas gracias!

That does make the X100 a more likely option though... bummer, I really like the E-M5's weather sealing, tilting screen and some other features!

7. dhazeghi

dhazeghi Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 6, 2010
    San Jose, CA
    Dara
    You obviously know your needs better than anybody else, but I'm not sure why thickness should be a particular concern when backpacking. Neither camera will reasonably fit in a pant pocket. Both will fit in a coat pocket or pouch. The radically different ergonomics would seem a much bigger deal on a trip than the 15 or so mm difference in thickness.

• Like Like x 2
  8. Agent00soul

Agent00soul Mu-43 Regular

Jan 22, 2010
    Why not the E-PM2 with the 20/1.7? That combination is just below 60 mm deep.

9. bartjeej

bartjeej Mu-43 Regular

Oct 9, 2012
    sorry for not replying earlier, dhazeghi and Agent00soul!

I'm hoping to put whichever camera I end up choosing in the leg pocket of cargo pants - I really dislike carrying a seperate camera bag (don't know if it's justified, but it always feels like wearing a camera bag is screaming 'Hey! I have an expensive camera around my neck! Come and rip it away from me / put a knife to my throat!'), and I won't be wearing a jacket very often.

Why not the E-PM2: I really like the direct controls and the weather sealing of the E-M5... direct controls since I don't want fiddling with the camera get in the way of interacting with the local population (or keeping an eye out for thieves), and weather sealing since I'll be in extremely dusty and / or humid environments, and a long, long way (in distance and in time) from any repair shops. If I went the X100 route I'd have to weatherseal it to some extent.

I've now decided to look for the pants with the largest cargo pockets possible, so that hopefully I can fit the E-M5/20mm combo in them :smile:

10. Fmrvette

Fmrvette This Space For Rent

May 26, 2012
    Detroit, Michigan
    Jim
    I don't believe the OM-D maintains weathersealing with the Panasonic 20mm 1.7 lens.

Regards,

Jim

11. Ropes4u

Ropes4u Mu-43 Regular

Sep 24, 2012
    No answer on the camera but tru-spec 24/7 cargo pants are the bomb.

12. Kees

Kees Mu-43 Regular

Jun 30, 2011
    The Netherlands
    Kees Dignum
    I don't think the 20mm panasonic is weather sealed...

13. slothead

slothead Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 14, 2012
    Frederick, MD
    That raises a good question Jim. What lenses support the weatherproofing of the OM-D? I bought mine with the Oly 14-42 lens (cheapo). Do they maintain the weatherproofing?

14. bartjeej

bartjeej Mu-43 Regular

Oct 9, 2012
    Fmrvette and Kees: I know, but I intend to sugru it to a near-weathersealed state; I'm planning to basically cover every gap (including where it meets the lens mount) in sugru, although ofcourse the part where the lens assembly moves when it focuses can't be covered.

Does anyone know if a filter on the 20mm covers the gap of the moving lens front element, or does the filter move along with the front element (meaning the gap isn't covered by the filter)?

Ropes4u, thanks I'll look into them. I just got some Craghoppers Nosilife cargo pants in today; they're mosquito-repellant (very important where I'm going), have UV protection, should dry quickly and have large pockets. If they're durable enough and don't irritate during intensive use, I'm gonna order some more of them before I leave.

Slothead: currently, the Olympus 12-50 powerzoom and the 60mm macro, and the Panasonic 12-35/2.8 and 35-100/2.8 are the only native m4/3 lenses that have weatherproofing. The more external movement a lens has, the less weatherproof it will generally be (more gaps is obviously less weatherproofness, and the physical extension and retraction of most zoom lenses acts as an air pump, drawing moist or dusty air into the camera).

15. krugorg

krugorg Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jul 18, 2011
    Minnesota USA
    Unfortunately, the 14-42 does not give you weatherproofing on the OM-D. I would guess that you still get a small level of spill protection and maybe a bit of cold proofing with non-weather-resistant lenses attached.

The only lenses that give you the full weather-sealing right now are the 12-50mm weather resistant kit, Panasonic G X 12-35 (and the new longer version), and Oly 60mm macro.

I do wonder if the weather-resistance specifications are different with Panasonic and Olympus? It seems like Olympus is more aggressive in their marketing claims at least.

16. bartjeej

bartjeej Mu-43 Regular

Oct 9, 2012
    little bump of my earlier question: Does anyone know if a filter on the 20mm covers the gap of the moving lens front element (when the lens focuses), or does the filter move along with the front element (meaning the gap isn't covered by the filter)?