1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Odd problem with my EP-5

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by will_f, Feb 15, 2014.

1. will_f

will_f Mu-43 Regular

Sep 2, 2013
    Hi EP-5 experts. I just got an Olympus EP-5 and noticed an odd phenomenon. My question to you is, is it a defective camera or is something set wrong?

Attached are two pics. One is shot at high ISO and the other is at ISO 200 f8 at around 4-5 secs. The slow shot has a dark area artifact on the picture that shows up whenever I shoot a slow picture. ImageUploadedByMu-431392450884.835541. ImageUploadedByMu-431392450895.534637.

2. pdk42

pdk42 One of the "Eh?" team

Jan 11, 2013
    Leamington Spa, UK
    I'm guessing the high ISO shot is at a narrow aperture too? If so, then I think you have a dust spot on the sensor. Take the lens off ANC take a look with a magnifying glass/loupe. If you see anything, try moving it with a blower. If that doesn't work, it'll be best to take it back, but if you're feeling brave, you can wet clean it - carefully.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Ricoh

Ricoh Mu-43 Top Veteran

Nov 2, 2013
    UK
    Steve
    A wide aperture shot of a white card would indicate if this is correct. Some use a sky shot for the same purpose.

• Like Like x 1
  4. pdk42

Jan 11, 2013
    Leamington Spa, UK
    You mean narrow aperture of course!

5. Ricoh

Ricoh Mu-43 Top Veteran

Nov 2, 2013
    UK
    Steve
    Shows what I know!! Thanks :)
    (I'll do more 'listening' in future, lol)

6. Vivalo

Vivalo Olympus Loser

Nov 16, 2010
    Finland
    • Like Like x 1
  7. betamax

betamax Mu-43 Regular

May 7, 2011
    NSW, Australia
    Alan
    I’m probably showing my ignorance here, but wouldn’t the image projected on the sensor be the same size regardless of aperture? I would have thought if it was dust on the sensor it would show in the same place regardless of the lens or apeture.

8. pdk42

Jan 11, 2013
    Leamington Spa, UK
    It'll be in the same place, but as the aperture narrows, the light coming from the lens becomes more directional, so the outline of the dust particle becomes sharper and more obvious. It's because the dust isn't actually on the sensor per se, but on a glass screen in front of it. Think of a shadow being cast of a spot on a piece of glass onto a piece of white card behind it. The shadow will be sharper if you shine a flashlight on it rather than use a big diffuse lighting panel.

• Like Like x 3
  9. will_f

will_f Mu-43 Regular

Sep 2, 2013
    Those who guessed a speck on the sensor were correct. I dialed the f stop up and down- the spot became much darker and well defined at small aperture settings so I pulled off the lens and there it was. Removed with Q-tip.

Will