1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Odd homemade lens on ebay

Discussion in 'Adapted Lenses' started by speedandstyle, Oct 27, 2013.

1. speedandstyle

speedandstyle Mu-43 Hall of Famer

2. zap

zap Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 23, 2012
    uk
    it's fugly... won't have it even if the seller paid me. :eek: :frown:

3. RDM

RDM Mu-43 All-Pro

The description has this near the bottom of the page
    Wow , sounds like quality work right there.. Why bother even listing specs then if they may differ?

4. speedandstyle

I emailed the seller and got back that he is cutting out lenses from old P&S cameras and fitting them into body caps. I don't plan on buying from him but I have an old camera or two that I might try doing my own.

5. tjdean01

tjdean01 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 20, 2013
    I like it! I've always wanted the Olympus body cap lens but I can't see spending $40-50 for something that is known to be the worst lens ever created for a camera. Well, maybe not; and not a lens, but you know what I mean. $16 though, I would buy it if weren't so random and weird. There's be HUGE variation. I'd want one that would be at least halfway decent.

6. speedandstyle

The bodycap lens is actually pretty good! It is sharper than the few c-mount CCTV lenses I have tested and very easy and fun to use. My only complaint is that I wish it was a stop or two faster.

7. tjdean01

Feb 20, 2013
    You're talking about f8 Olympus one, right? This one is twice the FL, 30mm, and we don't know the aperture :(

8. madogvelkor

madogvelkor Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 22, 2013
    Connecticut
    It's actually not a bad idea. He's probably getting the body caps bulk for dirt cheap, and you can pick up old film P&S cameras for next to nothing at thrift store and garage sales.

9. AceAceBaby

AceAceBaby Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 21, 2013
    The lenses probably come from the disposable cameras he is also gutting for viewfinders. I imagine verbage about items not being guaranteed identical is because it's a guy making stuff by hand in his shed, not some factory stamping out perfect copies.

I think it's interesting. I bought one of the round, masked off viewfinders from this seller and it was just as advertised, though I've found it was a bit too small to be comfortable to look through. Looking through his listings, I see a lot more variations on bigger VFs now, and also quite a few "bodycap mount" lenses. They offer some food for thought, if nothing else.

10. previz

previz Mu-43 Veteran

Apr 8, 2011
    Slovenia
    Peter
    Specifications: field of view approx. ~ 30mm / Focus free. Fixed Aperture approx. ~ f/6.5

11. tjdean01

Feb 20, 2013
    This is indeed very interesting. About the viewfinders, are they set to a specific FL, is that how it would work? If that's the case I'd probably want to get something around the m4/3s 20-25mm FOV (40-50mm equiv) and that would work with many of my wider lenses and then maybe get another one that around 50mm (100mm equiv). I want a viewfinder for the RARE occasions when I'd use it. Like a polarizer. I can just hold it in front of the camera when I need it, even if if it's the wrong size.

Would any of them work? Is the m4/3s hotshoe any different? It looks like a lot of his are for NEX or Leica. Would they fit?

12. speedandstyle

Hot shoe size is standardized so they should fit. Back in the day either on cameras without a set VF or a rangefinder that had a limited VF, the way you did it was to fit a VF that matched the lens used. In fact Leica and many other brands often sold the lens and VF together. Some of the external VFs were zooms which is really convenient.

13. AceAceBaby

AceAceBaby Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 21, 2013
    The way the VF I bought worked, they are all one (very wide) focal length, and he puts some kind of plasticized tape/cover on the front, with a scalpel cut rectangle to mask the visible FL to the advertised one; so the longer the FL, the smaller the view- I went for a 28mm to go with my 15mm bodycap. It looks like he got a source for a lot of disposable cameras which is where the more boxy looking VFs come from. I had started thinking about making a VF the same way, but never got around to carving up the camera I got.

14. RDM

RDM Mu-43 All-Pro

I see the P&S cameras all the time at all the local thrift stores; the cheapest I have seen them selling for is 5 dollars US each at this one store.
    Is that what you mean by next to nothing?