1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

ODD focusing problem with EM5

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by JAGimaging, Jul 5, 2014.

1. JAGimaging

JAGimaging New to Mu-43

Jul 1, 2014
    Hello! I am a professional automotive photog and for the last little while I switched over to using a EM5 to cover the smaller events I cover to put less wear and tear on my Nikon DSLR's. For the most part the EM5 has been great but every now and then I have a problem with its focusing. I use the kit lens, pans 25 and oly 40-150 and I know that there are limitations to the lens but the issue Im having is I get shots that are completely out of focus. The camera focuses ( or tries to ) I get the beep but the shot is super blurry as if it focused on nothing but other times it can focus super well even on fast moving race cars.

Some examples: Here the subjects are not even moving.. It happens with AFC and AFS modes.

[​IMG][/URL][/IMG]
    [​IMG][/URL][/IMG]
    [​IMG][/URL][/IMG]

And other times the focus is great.Even for action.

[URL=http://smg.photobucket.com/user/Photo_X/media/JAG51686_zps2fcd4bf0.jpg.html]
    [ATTACH=full]371868[/ATTACH][/URL]
    JAG24251_zps4060f0ae.
    JAG26150_zpsb1cc972d.

So has any body had this issue or does it just have to do with settings?

Thanks!

2. barry13

barry13 Super Moderator; Photon Wrangler

Mar 7, 2014
    Southern California
    Barry
    Hi, which focus points are you using?

Barry

Sent from my iPad using Mu-43

3. Klorenzo

Klorenzo Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 10, 2014
    Lorenzo
    What is the lens, focal length and shutter speed for the first one? Nothing is in focus in that one and in the third too. Look more like motion blur (or shutter shock?).
    I do not expect a very low speed but...

If you still have the images on the memory card go back to review the photos: there is a "display mode", the small one with the histograms, from where you can see where the focus point was set.

Also check this:

http://www.olympusamerica.com/cpg_section/cpg_support_faqs.asp?id=1501#23

4. JAGimaging

JAGimaging New to Mu-43

Jul 1, 2014
    I use the large single point focus point.

Lens for those shots were either the 12-50 kit lens or Pana 25.. Shutter speeds would be more then high enough to get a sharp image.

Thanks!

5. ccunningham

ccunningham Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 23, 2010
    I know one issue I've encountered on several cameras, including my em5 is that sometimes the af would focus on something behind the subject instead of the subject. It was rare and infrequent, but it did happen. The firmware update that allows smaller AF points pretty much fixed this for me. I usually leave the AF point size set to small unless I have some requirement for the larger AF points. I've also noticed that sometimes glare or reflections cause the AF to think its in focus. Again, it is rare, but it happens. In those cases the only thing I've found that works is MF. I usually leave the AF setting on AF+MF so I can just dial in focus if I need to.

6. namssurt

namssurt New to Mu-43

Jul 6, 2014
    Are the focus problems primarily on the panasonic lens? When using that lens you must either turn of the in body stabilization or the on lens stabilization. When both are turned on you have double compensation which actually ends up causing the very thing that they are supposed to be fighting.

7. Replytoken

Replytoken Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 7, 2012
    Puget Sound
    Ken
    The 25 does not have OIS, but the advice would be applicable with lenses that do have it.

--Ken

8. arch stanton

arch stanton Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 25, 2012
    London
    Malc
    It's worth checking your release priority settings - if set to On the shutter will fire as soon as you fully press the button, without waiting for focus.

Check here http://pcurious.com/2013/12/05/e-m5-menu-system/
    A few pages down in the section called "C. Release/Drive"

There are different settings for single and continous autofocus modes.

9. JAGimaging

JAGimaging New to Mu-43

Jul 1, 2014
    Thanks! Ill try that out and see if it helps!