1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Odd EM5 problems

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by drd1135, Nov 11, 2013.

1. drd1135

drd1135 Zen Snapshooter

Mar 17, 2011
    Southwest Virginia
    Steve
    I've had some issues with the EM5 shutting down after taking one shot. I turn the camera on and take a shot. The camera then pauses and shuts down. I flick it on and off and its fine. If it sits for a while off, I get the same problem again. I was using a 32 GB HP card, Class 10. It was filling up, but still had over 600 shots (RAW) left. I put a fresh 32 GB Sony card, also class 10 and formatted it but the problem still remains. I can still use the camera by turning it on, hitting the shutter, and flicking it on and off again, but this is obviously really annoying. No other problems that I can see? Any thoughts about what could be wrong. I bought it refurb from Cameta in August.

2. charcoalblack

charcoalblack Mu-43 Regular

Dec 26, 2012
    could be the battery, do you have a spare to try?

3. HarryS

HarryS Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 23, 2012
    Midwest, USA
    Is the camera on the later firmware ? The early firmware had some problems with cameras bot coming out of sleep mode with certain lenses.

Otherwise, use the warranty.

4. junn65

junn65 New to Mu-43

May 24, 2013
    do you have a grip on it? if so remove the grip then try it

5. JimUSNY

JimUSNY Mu-43 Regular

Nov 5, 2013
    Mid Hudson Valley NY
    Jim
    I never had my EM5 act up like that.. but twice now my EM1 has failed to turn on, remove battery and reseat it and it will power up.. hoping somethings not wrong with mine already..

6. drd1135

drd1135 Zen Snapshooter

Mar 17, 2011
    Southwest Virginia
    Steve
    No grip, two different fresh batteries, firmware 1.7. I may have to go for the warranty.

7. cuegeee

cuegeee Mu-43 Rookie

Apr 18, 2013
    California
    This was happening to my friend's E-PL3 and my brother's E-PM1. After a while, for the E-PL3, the camera would flash on & screen shows bootup, then it stopped turning on altogether.

Olympus warranty fix the E-PL3 within 2 weeks, stating that there was faulty wiring/connection near On/Off & Shutter buttons. Camera works better then ever now.

8. drd1135

drd1135 Zen Snapshooter

Mar 17, 2011
    Southwest Virginia
    Steve
    I contacted Cameta and I'm sending it to them tomorrow. So we'll see. . .

9. drd1135

drd1135 Zen Snapshooter

Mar 17, 2011
    Southwest Virginia
    Steve
    I'm posting to give closure to this thread. I got my refurb EM5 back from Cameta today. All appears well. In addition to not shutting down, I can now easily set the small focus area, which was really hit or miss before the repairs. Clearly something was wrong. According to the Olympus repair ticket (The repair center in Connecticut) they did:

LCD, Electronics, and associated items repair.
    Cleaned image sensor
    Auto focus test, recalibration and realignment
    Complete cleaning internal and external
    Firmware download: Corrections and Adjustments; Address values measured and adjusted.

Seems like a lot of activity. Under the section called "Description of Parts Used", it has

Shutter and associated parts
    Gears and associated parts
    LCD cover, electronics, and associated parts.

I really have to wonder exactly how refurbished this camera was when I got it originally if they had to do all this. The camera was babied by me so I know it wasn't damaged. Just to note, full credit to Cameta Camera. They were quickly responsive to my emails, and got the camera repaired and back within the promised 4 week turnaround. I wouldn't hesitate to do business with them again.