Odd E-M1 blackout solved - MC-14

Hendrik

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
Hendrik
In the thread on the E-M1 shutter in cold weather, I complained of a blackout I was experiencing with the 40-150 Pro and MC-14. Essentially, the camera would become unresponsive when left unattended for some variable period of time, but less than could be explained by power saving. It would not come back to life with a shutter button press but only with either a power off/on cycle or simply flicking the lens release button (without manipulating the lenses). The problem cleared when the MC-14 was removed. The 40-150 Pro then worked without problem. I do the great majority of my photography outdoors which turns out to have masked the source of the problem. I have had other lens/camera combinations become flaky in cold weather which predisposed me to suspect the temperature. However, it later became evident that low temperatures were not necessary to provoke the behavior with the MC-14 back in the stack. Phooey!

Before wrapping my mind around contacting Olympus and (likely) being asked to send the MC-14, the lens and the camera in for evaluation and service, I decided to look more closely at the MC-14, not that there's all that much to see. I found that on each bayonet plate, front and rear, two of the four screws were loose. Luckily I had a small enough (#0 Phillips) driver. Tightening them restored the lost function to the MC-14 immediately.

Full function has remained stable in the several days since I tightened the screws. It would seem that, in this case, the magic worked. It was that simple. Hooray!

Ross the fiddler

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Ross
That was good to know. It would seem that amount of looseness possibly allowed a less than perfect connection as I think the EC14 is a 'dumb' device (no internal processor etc) & identifies itself by a fixed link to one of the two extra contacts to the lens (that's my assumption with two pins having a possibility of 3 combinations for three different adapters).

PeHa

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Didn't have a camera blackout but I noticed the 300mm/MC-14 combo didn't feel tight to the camera body. When checking things it turned out that all four screws on side and one on the other side of the MC-14 were loose, some to the point were they nearly fell out... They're now tightened with Loctite screw locking, hope that will do!

Ross the fiddler

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Ross
I didn't think about it properly with my last post, but the blackout will occur when pressing the lens release (on the body) so a mechanical loosening may affect the release pin from returning to 'home' position properly, but strangely it behaves a little differently on the EC14; a slight blink when pressing in & then a momentary blackout when releasing it.

Hendrik

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
Hendrik
I didn't think about it properly with my last post, but the blackout will occur when pressing the lens release (on the body) so a mechanical loosening may affect the release pin from returning to 'home' position properly, but strangely it behaves a little differently on the EC14; a slight blink when pressing in & then a momentary blackout when releasing it.
In my brief experience with the problem, I found I was unable to restore function by simply jostling the lenses. My MC-14 is a little loose on the locking pin and normally allows the pin to seat easily. The problem was persistent despite the fact the the lens and tc were permanent residents on the camera body. Among other things, I tried cleaning the contacts but I wasn't aware of any great improvement.

I suspect the contacts are integral with the MC-14 body and not the mounting plates. As a matter of habit I carry that camera and lens with the lens pointing straight down. With loose screws gravity would help break a contact along one or some of the electrical paths. Speculation on my part, but I wonder if the camera is programmed such that any interruption in signal from the lens causes it to think no lens is mounted and that flicking the release button tells it that, yes, there is a lens present. At least this fits the observed facts in my case.

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Mu-43 is a fan site and not associated with Olympus, Panasonic, or other manufacturers mentioned on this site.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2009-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom