Odd blue "fuzz" in monochrome sky shots (E-PL5, Sigma 30mm)

emmecinque

Mu-43 Rookie
This is weird:
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

See those weird bluish fringes around some of the lighter areas? That's SOTC jpeg, and was taken at about f3.5 at around 1/500th of a second, at ISO 400, in the monochrome color mode. What does that? The sky was not super-bright. I had no filters on the lens, and both it and the camera are pretty new. I've been extremely happy with all the color images I've gotten.

I don't use monochrome hardly at all, but I was playing with it the other night (and noticed no blue fuzz in those shots). I forgot to reset the color mode before taking some pictures of the weird storm clouds today. Could it be some sort of internal reflection effect? And how does the image end up with any blue in it in monochrome mode?

[edit] see the next post :)

emmecinque

Mu-43 Rookie
Wow I'm really freaking out now because the effect appears to be with my monitor! I pulled up the image in Gimp and flipped it to grayscale, and the blue fringes are still there. How/why my monitor's color adjustment brain is deciding to boost the blue in some grayscale tones is beyond me, but that's what it is.

Let this be a lesson to you: cheap monitors lie :) I fooled with the monitor settings and ameliorated the problem for the most part. Can't wait to see what other images look like now :)

Larry H-L

Mu-43 Regular
Real Name
Larry
Blue is visible on my iPad, subtle, but it is there.

Top, middle-right side is the biggest blue area.

emmecinque

Mu-43 Rookie
The affected gray tones seemed basically in the middle of the range; like #898989.

Growltiger

Mu-43 All-Pro
It is likely to be a moire type effect on your monitor. When you look at a grey monitor you are in fact looking at a pattern of red, blue and green dots. Use a powerful magnifying glass to look at your monitor when you see the problem.
Do you have an analog or digital signal going to your monitor? (VGA connector=analog)

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Mu-43 is a fan site and not associated with Olympus, Panasonic, or other manufacturers mentioned on this site.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2009-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom