Odd blue "fuzz" in monochrome sky shots (E-PL5, Sigma 30mm)

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by emmecinque, Apr 21, 2014.

1. emmecinque

emmecinque Mu-43 Rookie

Mar 21, 2014
    This is weird:

See those weird bluish fringes around some of the lighter areas? That's SOTC jpeg, and was taken at about f3.5 at around 1/500th of a second, at ISO 400, in the monochrome color mode. What does that? The sky was not super-bright. I had no filters on the lens, and both it and the camera are pretty new. I've been extremely happy with all the color images I've gotten.

I don't use monochrome hardly at all, but I was playing with it the other night (and noticed no blue fuzz in those shots). I forgot to reset the color mode before taking some pictures of the weird storm clouds today. Could it be some sort of internal reflection effect? And how does the image end up with any blue in it in monochrome mode?

[edit] see the next post :)
  2. emmecinque

emmecinque Mu-43 Rookie

Mar 21, 2014
    Wow I'm really freaking out now because the effect appears to be with my monitor! I pulled up the image in Gimp and flipped it to grayscale, and the blue fringes are still there. How/why my monitor's color adjustment brain is deciding to boost the blue in some grayscale tones is beyond me, but that's what it is.

Let this be a lesson to you: cheap monitors lie :) I fooled with the monitor settings and ameliorated the problem for the most part. Can't wait to see what other images look like now :)
    • Like Like x 1
  3. aidanw

aidanw Mu-43 Regular

Nov 19, 2012
    Wellington, NZ
    Yep. Can't see it here. Using calibrated Dell ultrasharp 27.
  4. Larry H-L

Larry H-L Mu-43 Regular

Aug 6, 2013
    Ohio, USA
    Blue is visible on my iPad, subtle, but it is there.

Top, middle-right side is the biggest blue area.
  5. T N Args

T N Args Agent Photocateur

Dec 3, 2013
    Adelaide, Australia
    call me Arg
  6. letsgofishing

letsgofishing Mu-43 Veteran

Nov 21, 2012
    South Africa
    Mike Kaplan
    Calibrated Dell 2470 Ultrasharp - no blues...
  7. Growltiger

Growltiger Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 26, 2014
    Calibrated NEC 2490WUXi2 - perfect b/w - no blue.
  8. gryphon1911

gryphon1911 Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 13, 2014
    Central Ohio, USA
    Could it be the display gamut? Video card bit range? Drivers?
  9. emmecinque

emmecinque Mu-43 Rookie

Mar 21, 2014
    The affected gray tones seemed basically in the middle of the range; like #898989.
  10. Growltiger

Growltiger Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 26, 2014
    It is likely to be a moire type effect on your monitor. When you look at a grey monitor you are in fact looking at a pattern of red, blue and green dots. Use a powerful magnifying glass to look at your monitor when you see the problem.
    Do you have an analog or digital signal going to your monitor? (VGA connector=analog)