Odd behavior in Creative Movie Mode

Discussion in 'Panasonic Cameras' started by Ken7, Oct 30, 2013.

1. Ken7

Ken7 New to Mu-43

Oct 30, 2013
    New to the forum here, but really enjoying my GX7. I'm still amazed at the IQ of the video for which I primarily use the camera.

However I do have a question and/or concern. When in Creative Movie Mode, I've noticed that when you put the camera in shutter priority, the camera takes a very long time to readjust the iris as you zoom in or out. At times it simply won't readjust the exposure and the video will be considerably over-exposed. I don't notice this behavior in any other mode or even within the Creative mode, but using aperture priority. I'm wondering if there's an issue with my unit or if this behavior is normal or a firmware bug? This occurs with both the 14-42 power zoom and the non-power zoom version of this same lens. So it doesn't appear to be a lens issue.

The interesting thing is that you can be in the creative mode, choose a shutter speed (1/60 or, say 1/125) and if you zoom in or out prior to hitting the movie record button, all is fine. The exposure changes properly during the zooming process. But as soon as you hit record, the exposure seems to get whacked primarily as you pull back from a zoom. As I say, the video is overexposed by quite a bit.

This same behavior occurs in 'flicker reduction' in Program mode when you select a given shutter speed. I guess this is not surprising since it's calling for the same fixed shutter speed.

The behavior just seems very odd and unexpected, but perhaps I'm overlooking something. BTW, I do have v1.1 on the camera body and v1.1 on the PZ lens.

It would be great if someone could test theirs in the daylight to see if this is normal.

2. Ken7

Ken7 New to Mu-43

Oct 30, 2013
    Bump. Anyone want to try this?