1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Obsession

Discussion in 'Open Discussion' started by gollum14, Sep 15, 2013.

1. gollum14

gollum14 Mu-43 Regular

Sep 13, 2013
    UK
    Martin Davey
    In first few days of joining this forum the one thing I have noticed, and in fairness its not the only forum, is the obsession with photographic equipment. That's not intended to be a criticism, but an observation. If there's one thing I learned in three years of studying it at Uni, its that a camera or lens is a tool to do a job, just like a hammer or screw-driver in the workshop.

Don't be obsessed with equipment, be obsessed with using it and making photography its what its designed for :wink:

• Like Like x 7
  2. Bhupinder2002

Bhupinder2002 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Totally agree Martin .

• Like Like x 1
  3. tje53

tje53 Mu-43 Rookie

May 18, 2013
    Amen!

• Like Like x 1
  4. Ian.

Ian. Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 13, 2013
    Munich
    Ian
    Nope! No time for taking pictures. Except of equipment!

• Like Like x 1
  5. drd1135

drd1135 Zen Snapshooter

Mar 17, 2011
    Southwest Virginia
    Steve
    Unless you're using a Stilletto and Grip Rite galvanized zinc coated sinkers :tongue:

http://petapixel.com/2012/04/02/if-carpenters-talked-like-camera-geeks/

I know all the gear talk bothers some folks, but online forums are exactly the place where people can talk about equipment. Most of our families have long since stopped listening. Those who are really concerned with their images will figure this out, and those that are mostly equipment geeks need a home too.

• Like Like x 3
  6. hazwing

hazwing Mu-43 All-Pro

Nov 25, 2012
    Australia
    I feel these forums didn't use to be this way. I have also noticed a lot more gear talk lately. Maybe in part due to all the new stuff that is coming out (em1,12-40,gx7 etc).

There used to be less argumentative threads as well.

• Like Like x 5
  7. rparmar

rparmar Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 14, 2011
    Limerick, Ireland
    Going to a web forum and reading threads about gear is like going to the zoo and seeing animals in cages. It may not be the best of all possible worlds but... what the heck would you expect?

If I was out photographing I wouldn't be on my computer. Ipso facto.

Besides this, what is wrong with looking for the best tools for the job? Anyone who doesn't do this is wasting time and money.

You will see me on this board posting photos and sometimes even commenting on gear. But not obsessively. Because the rest of the time I am out there taking shots, like the 60 photos in my Slovenia set.

• Like Like x 3
  8. gollum14

gollum14 Mu-43 Regular

Sep 13, 2013
    UK
    Martin Davey
    :biggrin:

9. gollum14

gollum14 Mu-43 Regular

Sep 13, 2013
    UK
    Martin Davey
    The end product of why you own the equipment to begin with would be a good start :smile:

10. darosk

darosk Mu-43 Top Veteran

Apr 17, 2013
    Kota Kinabalu, Malaysia
    Daros
    Some people have recently been having trouble with the member galleries and posting photos - that could be a problem as to why some image posting has slowed down. There's still flickr and other sites to upload to, but still.

As far as number of images being posted, I personally don't see any real decrease since I joined a few months ago. Images trickle in everyday - there's always something new to see here. I personally spend hours browsing the image sample threads.

• Like Like x 1
  11. gollum14

gollum14 Mu-43 Regular

Sep 13, 2013
    UK
    Martin Davey
    Good to hear, cool website :smile:

12. mnhoj

mnhoj There and back again

Dec 3, 2011
    Los Angeles
    John M
    I've always been an obsessive gear head.
    And love every minute.

• Like Like x 1
  13. emptysensor

emptysensor Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 8, 2011
    Virginia
    Joe
    I do agree that it all comes down to the pictures we take, but boy do the GX7 and EM1 look great. And once I see the full frame NEX I'm gonna be foaming at the mouth and falling over backwards!

• Like Like x 1
  14. jeffryscott

jeffryscott Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jul 2, 2010
    Arizona
    Sometimes, because of life's schedules, we can't get out to photograph, but can be home (or elsewhere) with computer and internet.

I tend to get more gear geeky when my life doesn't allow me to get out and photograph.

In addition, there is so much new and exciting gear to discuss ...

• Like Like x 1
  15. Darren Bonner

Darren Bonner Mu-43 All-Pro

May 1, 2013
    Poole UK
    Well, there are two new exciting cameras coming out, it was like this when the GX1 and the OMD-EM5 first came out.

16. gollum14

gollum14 Mu-43 Regular

Sep 13, 2013
    UK
    Martin Davey

lol...Yes the later I been waiting a long time for...........but tools for the job Darren.............but I guess it shows the marketing guys have done their job well:biggrin:

17. digitalandfilm

digitalandfilm Mu-43 All-Pro

Jul 18, 2011
    Yes- the interest on gear is somewhat intense, you must have also learned (at the Uni!) one other golden rule:

Always use the proper tool! and how would you know unless you actively discuss your wants/needs with like-minded individuals with more experience, etc?

• Like Like x 1
  18. jloden

jloden Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 15, 2012
    Hunterdon County, NJ
    Jay
    It's a function of size/membership numbers, in my opinion. The OM-D EM-5 release in particular brought a flood of new members, and as I have experienced multiple times in the past, this inevitably brings with it several new social dynamics. Other forums where I have seen this are for totally unrelated hobbies, so it's certainly not unique to photography.

When you get enough members, you see more gear talk, you lose some of the intimate close-knit community feel, there are more frequent trolls, and you often see more mob mentality or clique-forming as well. One of the recurring themes at this site for example is that it has been a refuge of sorts for m4/3 users. Elsewhere on various forums, the Micro Four Thirds system is often slighted, disregarded, or outright insulted. This forum is somewhere we all share the same tools and are naturally going to encourage each other in that respect. As the forum has grown, an unfortunate consequence is that this community can be... "aggressively defensive" I'll call it. Threads discussing other formats are often immediately perceived as negative and turn argumentative very quickly. Likewise, I think discussions about camera bodies or lenses have become unnecessarily dogmatic to brand, model, etc.

I consider it "growing pains" for any site or community and I suspect it is probably inevitable beyond a certain membership size.

Also true. Most of the people on a forum, myself included, are there because we aren't out photographing all the time. Gear talk is a way to indulge our desire to stay connected to our hobbies and interests when we can't get out and shoot photos or otherwise engage with it directly.

• Like Like x 2
  19. gollum14

gollum14 Mu-43 Regular

Sep 13, 2013
    UK
    Martin Davey
    Surprisingly not :smile: because there are no rules, to turn your own signature on you "I am not interested in rules or conventions. Photography is not a sport." — Bill Brandt

20. gollum14

gollum14 Mu-43 Regular

Sep 13, 2013
    UK
    Martin Davey
    It surprises me that there is hostility elsewhere towards MFT, its just another format, although I can't say I have looked for it, but I find that rather disappointing. There are people out there that are shooting with compacts (Daido Moriyama) and even mobile phones that are producing fantastic results.

Have I been out today shooting, I wish, nope I've been tied to the computer editing and printing since 10am this morning, but i can have another window open and take a breather now and then to pop in here :biggrin: