Review Observations on Sony full frame vs micro 4/3. Hint: m4/3 still relevant

Real Name
Rob Faucher
Doesn't file bit depth also become a factor? m43 (except GH5S) yields a 12-bit file, while most FF (if not all) are 14-bit. That may well be why their files seem "richer".
Good question and I'm not sure of the answer. Even so, 12 bit depth exceeds the color gamut of SRGB monitors and most ink jet printers.
12 bit RAW files are capable of producing 68 billion colours, where as the SRGB colour space is limited to 16.7 million. Where it might make a difference is in latitude when processing poorly exposed raw files, so 14 bit may provide a bit more leeway before the image suffers perceptible degradation.

The answer may lie in the characteristics of the sensor itself and any pre-processing done in the conversion (de-bayering) stage. Over the years, I've noticed raw files can have their own signature colours when imported into Lightroom or Photoshop - there is a default Adobe colour profile applied. I doubt the default profile is invariant across different sensors. In the past, I used an X-rite ColorChecker Passport to profile my cameras. It had a tendency to create a similar "look" among them.

The most recent versions of LR now have camera matching profiles which do a decent job of emulating OOC JPG colors. So, if you like Oly colors, you can get something very similar when importing RAW files provided the correct matching profile is applied. Since I like Oly's colors, I now use the camera matching Natural profile. In previous Panasonic cameras, I never liked their JPG colors, so I used my own X-Rite derived profile. These days I like the G9's in camera rendering, so I apply the camera matching Standard profile.

Further the above points, changing the development profiles can either reveal or crush subtle colour gradients in the images. Subjectively, this can create a sense of richness or dullness.

Buy me one of each and I'll do it, no problems :)

I assume you know of this tool over at dpreview:

View attachment 717899

sadly it does not have older cameras like my GH1, if it did I wouldn't bother to test myself.
Yes I do and I use it on here all the time, last time was when someone thought FF was 5 stops better than m43 but it's pretty common knowledge know, thanks to the dpreview tool that it's about 2 stops better. They also have what they call the "old" studio scene with older cameras. Maybe the GH1 is in there with the original a7.
Also the reason I'd like to see someone from here that owns both the g9 and the a7rii to do a comparison is because when I post DPreview comparisons like you did, I'll get the comment along the lines of "that's a lab studio scene, real world tests would render different results".

Real Name
Rob Faucher
New for $1798 at Amazon
Is that USD? In Canada, it's listed for 2399.99 on Amazon, which is not a bad price either. I got mine for $1800 in mint condition, the guy used it only a few times. It also saved me the 13% HST retail tax.

After we sealed the deal, he was curious about m4/3 and wanted to know more about the EM1-MKII and G9. Said he's probably getting the Oly.

MAubrey

Photographer
Real Name
Mike Aubrey
For people thinking about SD cards, buffers & transfer speed, there's nothing better than the tests available here:

Camera Memory Speed Comparison & Performance tests for SD and CF cards

One of the problems with the first and second generation Sony A7 series cameras is write speed (Fastest SD cards for Sony Alpha A7R II):

The A7R II is limited in write speed. The write speed is similar to the Sony A6000 that was tested previously. The highest write speed average during continuous shooting was 36.6MB/s (averaged over at least 3 tests using each card). The speed is consistent with the lower speed UHS-I bus modes (up to 50MB/s). The A7R II does not appear to support the highest speed UHS-I mode (SDR104) that can provide up to 104MB/s. As a result, many of the faster cards perform similarly because they are limited by the camera.
If you're shooting an A7rII and you're using uncompressed RAW, you're talking about 81MB files, which means long waits for the buffer to clear.

The A7(r)III series has the same card setup as the A9, which is far, far better, with both UHS-I and II. And the regular UHS-I slot is full enabled, too, so its its 80MB/s rather than the measly 36.6MB/s.

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Mu-43 is a fan site and not associated with Olympus, Panasonic, or other manufacturers mentioned on this site.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2009-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom