Observations of E-P2 in use

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by Franssales, Jul 21, 2010.

1. Franssales

Franssales Mu-43 Rookie

Jun 22, 2010
    I spent last week as a marriage camp photographer, and listed some observations of my E-P2. I used it mainly with 14-42 mm lense.

E-P2 is slowlier with the zoom lense than for example my Canon 350D. In my use it is still fast enough. I have updated the firmwares. I think that part of the slowlyness comes from the EVF, which has a small delay reporting the situation. I would not try shooting sports.

As the sensor is smaller, using big aperture does not isolate the main subject from the background as effectively as I'm used to see. I usually shoot using aperture priority and full aperture.

So the absence of focus confirmation with manual lenses is a real weakness for the E-P2 (at least I have not found the way to set it). You only have the EVF magnification to see if the pic is focussed or not. It is much too slow and clumsy for any other purpose than portraits and still lifes, and its not fun even with them. It is a mystery for me why Olympus does not provide with focus conformation: it would make the camera much more useful and I believe it is only a firmware thing. Other than that, Zuiko 50/1.4 works well together with OM-m4/3 adapter bought very cheaply from Hongkong via eBay.

I have not found a good way to carry the EVF when its not in use. I can keep it in its own little bag attached to camera strap. When working, the bag is on the way, and most of the time I have the camera without the strap. I think I'm going to solve the problem getting a retro bag which is big enough to store the camera EVF readily attached.

2. jeffryscott

jeffryscott Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jul 2, 2010
    Arizona
    I've been using the EP-2 exclusively since selling my Canon kit (5d, 20 2.8, 35 1.4, 85 1.8 and 200 2.8) and am in love. I bought the 7-14, 20 1.7 and 45 2.8. I find the speed acceptable for most of what I do, and find the viewfinder indispensable.

The optics are first class and image quality is as well.

I do miss the slightly faster AF of the 5d. Sometimes, though not often, miss the longer reach of the 200.

What am I giving up? Besides bulk, not much. I would say nothing matches the 35, but that is a special lens regardless of brand.

This is not a system I would use for weddings, at least not without an SLR, but for my style of shooting (used Leica M and Contax G for years) I am finding this to be an amazing setup.

Jeff