1. Welcome to Mu-43.com—a friendly Micro 4/3 camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

Observation on Adapters with Aperture diaphragm

Discussion in 'Adapted Lenses' started by Jav291, Oct 7, 2011.

1. I recently acquired the Pro Optic Adapter with Aperture Diaphragm manufactured by Kiron to mount my Canon EF 28mm to my E-P1. I bought it from Amazon. In the instructions, it says not to turn the aperture ring past “6”; there are no f-stops, just the numbers 1-6. Of course, because the f-stop is a function of focal length, it would not be possible to have them marked on the adapter unless you had a different adapter for every lens. Anyway, I noticed when looking at the adapter that the number 6 position was considerably bigger than what f16 should be. A comparison with my lens confirmed it; the number 6 position is about four stops bigger than f16 on my 28mm. However, if I continue to turn the aperture dial, I could approximate f16. I marked the position on the adapter with a Sharpie marker, and then did the same for f8. These two f/stops and wide open allow me plenty of DOF control in the streets. Using the Sunny f16 Rule, I verified that the camera was giving me the right shutter speed for what I thought the f-stop should be. Anyway, just wanted to pass this on to anyone who is using an adapter with a diaphragm in it.
    Here's a shot i did with my E-P1 and the canon EF 28mm 2.8 of a kid playing guitar on the street- shawn_guitar.

• Like Like x 2
  2. RevBob

RevBob Super Moderator Subscribing Member

Jun 4, 2011
    NorthWestern PA
    Bob
    Good to know.

I just ordered one to use a Sigma 20-40mm f2.8 that has an EOS mount. It tends to back focus on my 40D, but that won't be a problem on my E-P1. I'm looking forward to using the lens a lot more.:thumbup:

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.