1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Oamaru, NZ - in mono

Discussion in 'Black and White' started by MattNQ, Dec 5, 2012.

1. MattNQ

MattNQ Mu-43 Regular

Jul 31, 2012
    A few from a NZ trip last year I don't think I have shared here previously. Oamaru was a fascinating place. The Steampunk displays were amazing.

EPL1 + 9-18mm M.zuiko
    Edited in trial versions of Lightroom & Silver Efex Pro, and experimenting with a few different variations.

P9117362-Edit-1-Edit-1-L.

P9117352-Edit-1mod1-L.

P9117305-Edit-2-1mod1-L.

P9117372-Edit-7-L.

P9117333-Edit-1-L.

• Like Like x 4
  2. rnagoda

rnagoda Mu-43 Veteran

Jun 12, 2012
    Tucson, AZ
    Robert
    Some cool shots, and I like the effects/processing used as well ... the first and third are my faves, but the tunnel pic is intriguing - definitely has a horror movie/hazy flashback feel to it, nice!

• Like Like x 1
  3. RevBob

RevBob Super Moderator

Jun 4, 2011
    NorthWestern PA
    Bob
    Great shots! I love the PP - it gives a real old-time photo look to the shots. :thumbup:

• Like Like x 1
  4. 0dBm

0dBm Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 30, 2011
    Western United States
    The B&W processing conjures a dour, very gritty atmosphere: an end-of-the-world (EOW) homage to the 21 December Mayan myth enveloping some of the programming on several cable TV channels as of late. The 1971 Charlton Heston movie comes to mind as well.

I would very much be interested to see the unprocessed photos. I hope they portray less darkenened-ness to an area that I wish to visit one day.

Nevertheless, thank you for sharing some very interesting images.

• Like Like x 1
  5. MattNQ

MattNQ Mu-43 Regular

Jul 31, 2012
    Thanks all for the comments

0dBm, I'll dig a few more images out sometime. We were there at the end of winter - very grey and rainy & cold, so mono suited it perfectly. But like most of NZ, it is amazingly beautiful in the summer. Despite the weather, we had a ball - watched the penguins come in from the sea, skirting around seals lazing about. The steampunk train blows fire & smoke & makes a heap of noise. Also checked out a cheese factory. That shot with the penny farthing bike - we were too late in the day for much else , but normally much of the historic dock area is open with all sorts of interesting activities. A fascinating place.

6. aragorn1980

aragorn1980 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Aug 10, 2012
    Athens Greece
    Takis
    Love what you've done with the photos!Good work!

• Like Like x 1